Need Advice - In Wall Subs or In Room Rear Only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am redoing my basement theater 12'8" x 25' x 8'6".
My new screen wall will only have 7 inches of depth behind the screen, which is obviously not enough depth to put a floor standing sub behind the screen.
I also prefer to not have a sub sitting on the stage in front of the screen.
I am pretty much limited to either in wall subs (BG Radia BGX-S12B) or a pair of floor standing subs (JL Audio, Seaton, etc..) but the in room subs can only be positioned in the rear corners of the room.

An advantage of the BG Radia setup is that I can play with positioning prior to installation but with the in-rooms the position is going to be what it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with BG in-walls versus the 2 rear corners?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have 4 BG-X subs in a 2300 cubic foot room.... For music, they are outstanding. For movies at reference, you may want a solution with more headroom. They hit hard clip right about where I want an additional 10%. For inwalls, I am blown away, though. YMMV.

Jh
post #4 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
What about something from Triad, like their InWall Bronze/6 sub? I don't really have any experience with it personally but they are known for having top notch inwall stuff.
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iwb6sub.html
post #5 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20fam View Post

I have 4 BG-X subs in a 2300 cubic foot room.... For music, they are outstanding. For movies at reference, you may want a solution with more headroom. They hit hard clip right about where I want an additional 10%. For inwalls, I am blown away, though. YMMV

Jh
Thanks for the info. Do you have the 6 or 12 woofer subs?
I assumed you experimented with different positions , where in your room did you end up installing them?
post #6 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

What about something from Triad, like their InWall Bronze/6 sub? I don't really have any experience with it personally but they are known for having top notch inwall stuff.

Maybe I am wrong but I think that the triad in wall subs are more for background music...at least that is what I read on the Triad owners forum.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM

I installed 4 near each corner, but not in the corner. We had a few stud bays to work with, so I had some choice as to where to place them. I have 4 of the 12 sub modules.

I love them for music. I have an all BG system, and set the x-over on the BG-X's at 100hz, so the kick drum sounds great on live shows. The only problem is on ultra deep, ultra dynamic movie passages - sometimes the subs just cant keep up. I probably run my subs a little hot after years of playing drums in live shows next to 18" drum fill subs. I enjoy the low end, basically. In a 2300 cubic foot room, I think 6 of the BG-X subs would probably meet the 2 or so db increase I could use for movies.

The beauty of the system is that the bass sounds great in the room, but doesnt resonate outside of the house. We rock concert blu rays until 3 am whenever we want!

Jh
post #8 of 9 Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM

You could also try the Wisdom SCS subwoofers at only 7 inches deep... though they are also 4k each.

Jh
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razz589 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Maybe I am wrong but I think that the triad in wall subs are more for background music...at least that is what I read on the Triad owners forum.

Triad's are spec'd out for many HT rooms. They offer multiple solutions including their Bronze and Silver inwall subs. 4 Silvers located in mid point of each wall would sound great. Just post your info on the thread and the experienced ones will respond.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page