Looking for advice repair / replace DCM SUB2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I would like to say hello, this being my first post and all. Already asking for help... sorry

I have had a DCM SUB2 for 15 years now. It has 2 subs one forward, one downward. I think its 150 Watts.

I have had a local speaker repair shop needed and it looks like the subs need replaced and the amp cleaned (dirty pots)

I am looking at approximately $400 to repair it using better subs...

I have looked at quite a few subs locally, it seems the tendency now is toward the 8 and 10 inch cubes. Most all of these produce a decent sound (I have looked at the Martin Logans, Definitive Technology, and B&W) but none of them have that wall shaking, nose itching, factor I am looking for.

I am a little old school and I like to feel the bass, I like a sub that moves some air...

My question is, should I rebuild my DCM, or does anyone know a better direction to head in?

Any opinions / information would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Knoxville

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Unless it's something extraordinary, unique or very expensive fixing a 15 year old subwoofer if generally not the best choice. At that point it's usually better to stick a fork in it and get something else.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 11 Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Kilted red. I have that exact sub in my master bedroom HT and many years ago (about seven) when SVS was offering customers an upgrade from the ISD drivers to the NSD 12" drivers ( for about 100.00/pair ) I jumped all over it. But then I was stuck with two 12"ISD drivers so what to do. Well I took out the DCM 12"drivers and placed the way heavier and more powerful SVS ISD drivers in the DCM cabinet still using the DCM 150 watt sub. Wow what a difference. My modified DCM sub is way more powerful in bass performance and hits deeper and louder (yes just using a 150 watt amp). Have used it this way for seven years now and couldn't be happier and I'm a bass head (have 12 subs in my main HT system). So if your amp is still good look at buying some very capable drivers (contact SVS to buy a pair of drivers) and throw those in there. Now be warned the fit is very tight where the back of the driver magnets touch with the SVS drivers but they do "just fit". I recall I had to make a few new screw holes but the bass is incredible for a pieced together sub and it works surprisingly well. Good luck.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Oh one more thing when using the DCM drivers I had the gain at 8 to get louder decent bass. With the upgraded drivers I now have the gain at 4 and it shakes the walls with deep clean bass. I was very shocked that my modified DCM would perform that well. You may want to also look at Parts Express for some heavy duty 12" drivers. Because the DCM drivers were these light weight very small magnet drivers compared to the SVS ISD drivers which weighed a ton. I was concerned the way heavier driver would be an issue with the down firing driving but so far no problem. I did though have to elevate the sub a few inches because the larger ISD drivers were touching the floor as compared to the DCM driver but after going to Home Depot and buying round table pegs and placing those tiny DCM feet in the round pegs it elevated the sub up about 1.5" and the bottom driver now has ample room to breath.

Sorry crappy pic taken using my iPad.

post #5 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Oh one more thing when using the DCM drivers I had the gain at 8 to get louder decent bass. With the upgraded drivers I now have the gain at 4 and it shakes the walls with deep clean bass. I was very shocked that my modified DCM would perform that well. You may want to also look at Parts Express for some heavy duty 12" drivers.

A 150 watt amp for dual 12 woofers would require some very high sensitivity drivers, otherwise the amp is probably going to cough and spit more then anything. If the OP goes this route I would strongly suggest using something around 90dB or so. Much less than that and he may find the amp gives up because of the load - 75 watts per driver is not really sufficient.

post #6 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry crappy pic taken using my iPad.

Are those english muffins you're using for isolators?

Seriously... what are those?

post #7 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Jim if you had read my post you would've read they are wooden table pegs used to raise the sub enough to give the bottom driver breathing room. Not pretty but very effective. Also the SVS ISD drivers work extremely well even at 75 watts per speaker. For a room 12X14 it fills the room with very tight we'll controlled bass. I had an A/V GTG and the members were very impressed with how much bass my modified sub made. As mentioned I have the gain at 4 any louder and its too much bass for the room. When I first modified the sub I didn't think it would work nearly as good as it has bud it has performed so well that I have no interest in upgrading this sub.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim if you had read my post you would've read they are wooden table pegs used to raise the sub enough to give the bottom driver breathing room. Not pretty but very effective

I actually did read your post, but figured you were kidding. A solid object is not something I thought anyone used for a riser/isolator. All of the solutions I've seen use products designed to minimize vibrations. That appears as though it would contribute to them.

post #9 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This is kind of a neat thread. I have 2 subs from a pair of DCM KX12s that I thought about using to build something similar, but I can't find any specs on them. I didn't even remember that DCM made a sub in this era.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Jim I too was concerned with vibration but because the two SVS drivers weigh about 15 pounds each it added substantial weight to the sub then the fact the sub sits on carpet. I initially had the sub on a Gramma pad but found there was no difference with or without the pad as the sub now weighs so much as vibration isn't an issue whatsoever. The sole purpose of the "English muffins" was just to elevate the sub for the bottom driver and found this worked perfect otherwise I would've built isolators but found this cheap fix was good enough. Granted the guys at the gtg teased me about looks but figured it was just me and my girlfriend who'll see em 99% of the time so I didn't care. Guess I could paint em black if I wasn't so lazy.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much for all the ideas guys.I went ahead and picked klipsch bw-12 while they were on sale for $299.

I think I am also moving forward with replacing the subs in the dcm. I will give SVS a shout and I have been browsing parts express.

Not sure on the klipsch but the reviews were good and the price was right. I can either run both or move the klipsch once I get the dcm repaired. My room is 14x22
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page