Speaker Level Inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm a bit confused about speaker level inputs on a sub. I recently bought a surround bar that has a passive wired sub. In reviews of the unit, there have been references made to replace the passive sub with a larger powered sub that has speaker level inputs to improve the bass performance. If the sub out on the surround bar is powered, such is the case with mine, to power a passive sub, wouldn't it be wrong to route this to the speaker level inputs as aren't they powered on an active sub as well?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Subs can have both a speaker-level input and a pre-amp (line level) input. What exactly do you have?

post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You can surely add a second sub with the current subwoofer , using the speaker wire from the surround bar that goes to the "subwoofer". I would not remove the current "sub" as it is most likely be a woofer than a subwoofer, removing it might (read as would) create whole in the frequency response. Just make sure the sub you buy has speaker level inputs.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Subs can have both a speaker-level input and a pre-amp (line level) input. What exactly do you have?

It has both. I'm told by several people to use the speaker level, but that concerns me.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

You can surely add a second sub with the current subwoofer , using the speaker wire from the surround bar that goes to the "subwoofer". I would not remove the current "sub" as it is most likely be a woofer than a subwoofer, removing it might (read as would) create whole in the frequency response. Just make sure the sub you buy has speaker level inputs.

If the replacement sub has a high enough cross over point, that does not concern me.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

It has both. I'm told by several people to use the speaker level, but that concerns me.
Speaker level is used if you have a stereo receiver that does not have an LFE output. If you have an x.1 receiver use the LFE output to a line level input on the sub.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Speaker level is used if you have a stereo receiver that does not have an LFE output. If you have an x.1 receiver use the LFE output to a line level input on the sub.

I know that is what is suggested, but somehow I guess I'm not understanding the internal circuitry. If I use the speaker level inputs, this must bypass the subs own amp because my soundbars sub terminals are amplified. Is that the case?

post #8 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know that is what is suggested, but somehow I guess I'm not understanding the internal circuitry. If I use the speaker level inputs, this must bypass the subs own amp because my soundbars sub terminals are amplified. Is that the case?
Powered subs often have speaker level inputs to allow them to be used when there is no line source available; they're not there to allow the sub to be run as a passive. It's easy enough to test, see what happens if you turn the sub amp off.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 151
As usual, what bill says. As I understand it, in effect, the first thing the speaker level input to a powered sub "sees" is a resistor to keep the current that would be supplied at speaker impedances from overloading the input section of the sub's amplifier. So the input stage in essence converts the speaker level signal into a line level signal so that the amplifier inside the sub can deal with it.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

As usual, what bill says. As I understand it, in effect, the first thing the speaker level input to a powered sub "sees" is a resistor to keep the current that would be supplied at speaker impedances from overloading the input section of the sub's amplifier. So the input stage in essence converts the speaker level signal into a line level signal so that the amplifier inside the sub can deal with it.
+1. Transformers might be used as well, I've never looked at the circuitry to see what they do.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Powered subs often have speaker level inputs to allow them to be used when there is no line source available; they're not there to allow the sub to be run as a passive. It's easy enough to test, see what happens if you turn the sub amp off.

So, if my soundbar has a sub output power of 100 watts for the passive sub that came with it, and I end up purchasing an active sub with 500 watts to replace it, am I still getting 500 W out of the sub?

post #12 of 12 Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, if my soundbar has a sub output power of 100 watts for the passive sub that came with it, and I end up purchasing an active sub with 500 watts to replace it, am I still getting 500 W out of the sub?
Yes, because the output of the soundbar amp is moot, you're not driving a speaker with it. But I'd still drive the sub with the receiver LFE output.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Subwoofers , Component Amplifiers , Cables Interconnects

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page