Help! Final Decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All

I have enjoyed this forum for a while now, while I build my last (lol) HT/Music audio system. HOWEVER, I can't decide a the last piece the subwoofer. I have read this forums and most of the rest. I have read several magazine reviews and listened to as many as I could at home and at the dealer. I know on this forum on the subwoofer section a lot of people tend to like ID subs, but I'm not really interested from WAF, past experience, and room issues.

Room is 12' x 29' x 9' (border is 8' tray ceiling). It has two openings on one side they are as follows; 14' and 5' with the rest a solid wall on the one side. The other side is solid all the way down. Currently I have the front speakers on the side with the 14' opening and it's open at the beginning.

I have the following audio equipment:
Integra DHC 9.9
Rotel RMB 1075
Paradigm Studio 60 v.5
Paradigm Studio Esprit C
Paradigm Studio SA-30

Current sub with ailments is AV123 MFW-15

I have narrowed down to JL Audio f113, JL Audio f212, Paradigm Studio Sub 15, and Paradigm Signature Sub 1. I need room correction at the sub level better than the Integra can provide. I have had two JL Audio and everyone like them, but for some reason one sounded better. Times got tough and had to start all over, so I settled on the MFW-15 never been big fan of, but not bad for the money. I have also tried the Paradigm Monitor Sub 12 and was not impressed and my luck it blew. So, I'm pretty sure that I also need larger driver than 12" and powerful amp. I can the Sub 1 at a great price, but can't find enough information yet for me to pay for it, as it is the most expensive by far. The problem with the JL Audio was great speed and mid-sub to high sub output; but it still lacked something. The WAF is not that great on the f212. If you know of anything to help out. I would greatly appreciate it, as this will be the last system for long time. I don't want to have any regrets and I'm getting older.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Aw come on, I really expected someone to reply. I really need some help deciding on which sub would work best in my difficult room.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If you're looking at the jl f212 price range i would look at a seaton submersive or two.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
- Seaton SubMersive HP ($2,295 + shipping)
- dual Rythmik FV15HPs ($1,274/ea. + shipping)
- dual PSA XV-30s ($1,399/ea., shipped) or XS-30s ($1,149/ea., shipped)
post #5 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Another one I have read about is the SVS PB 13 Ultra. Seems to get good reviews, even for larger rooms than what I have. I want a fast, musical, dynamic sub that plays low with plenty of headroom without too much overkill. I can get the following subs at this price.

SVS PB-13 Ultra - 1599
Paradigm Studio Sub 12 - 1900
Paradigm Studio Sub 15 - 2550
Paradigm Signature Sub 1 - 3500 Piano Black
JL Audio f113 - 2625 Piano Black

I'm currently still researching the one's mentioned in the thread, and I greatly appreciate it. I want to be satisfies for a while, as I plan on buying an Oppo and Parsound Halo Amps.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

JL Audio f212 I still don't know the price yet. I'm guessing around 4200.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

One more thing, I really not a fan of vented subs due to issues with them. I've never heard one in my room I thought was a good all around sub; they all have had their strengths and weaknesses, but the latter makes me shy away from vented. I like the idea of dual (sealed or opposing) subs.smile.gif
post #8 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I meant SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #9 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I would strongly recommend the seaton submersive hp based on the WAF factor and the performance. Going from a mfw-15 to that will be a massive upgrade while not sacrificing in the looks dept.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Liked: 20
If you are only getting one sub, of all the ones that you mentioned, I believe that the Sub 1 has the best specs. It digs deeper and plays louder than any of the others. The F212 is a beast as well but is also bigger which may be a hiindrance for you. I personally have 2 F113s and they look and sound fantastic. The room you have is a decent size.....mine is an open 6200 cubic feet and just one F113 makes a considerable impact, but doesn't go as low as the Sub 1 for sure.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I appreciate the feedback club968; I'm actually torn between the f113 and the Sub1 too. I've had two f113's before and one was really all I needed, but I like the specs on the Sub 1 also. The power difference in the two is my only concern, and I feel like I'm getting a great deal on the Sub 1 and a good one for the JL's. My wife is not crazy about the f212, but she did like the f113 (one not two) the best, but we have never heard the Sub1 and that's a real concern for us. Decisions. I do feel like I'm getting close to an answer especially if the rep lets me a refund period of the Sub1, it's a once in a lifetime. The cheapest they or anybody sells one for is 4200 so 3500 makes it an attractive and I like the vibration canceling cabinet design. My wife loves the way it looks, but she is nervous because we have never heard another sub in our room other than the f113 that we all liked as family hands down. So we do feel the f113 is safer choice, but we have read great reviews on the Sub1. Ugh!
post #12 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasen View Post

One more thing, I really not a fan of vented subs due to issues with them. I've never heard one in my room I thought was a good all around sub; they all have had their strengths and weaknesses, but the latter makes me shy away from vented. I like the idea of dual (sealed or opposing) subs.smile.gif

For a room that size, two PSA XS30's. If you want to step it up in WAF, a pair of Funk Audio, 18.0 C and you can retire in peace. The real effort begins when it comes time to dial a pair of subwoofers into the acoustics of your room.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I strongly suggest checking out the DXD12012, beautiful bass! for movies and music plus my wife and daughter dig it in looks department.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I strongly suggest checking out the DXD12012, beautiful bass! for movies and music plus my wife and daughter dig it in looks department.

Do you have any measurements? the site has none that I saw. Pretty expensive for a fake leather wrapped sub.

P.S. "HIGH VELOCITY DEEP BASS™ design" does this mean that the sound travels faster than regular subs? wink.gif
post #15 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Yes, the Sub 1 is gorgeous. The only reason I did not go with paradigm was the cost. Although I could get one Sub 1 for around $4000. I wanted 2 subs to even out in room response. $8000 was kinda ridiculous and I got a good deal on 2 F113s. I don't think you could get better sound out of anything else that size. Having said that, I should expect delivery of my piano black dual funk audio 18.0s in hopefully 2 weeks.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Do you have any measurements? the site has none that I saw. Pretty expensive for a fake leather wrapped sub.

P.S. "HIGH VELOCITY DEEP BASS™ design" does this mean that the sound travels faster than regular subs? wink.gif

"Secrets " has measurements and I believe AVforums tested it as well, I got mine through the trade in program ( traded my M&K mx150 thx sub) for a very nice price on the DXD12012. "fast Bass" is about timing what some may call it punch or kick most, subs are judged for decay or overhang which most think is the only variation of sub bass. The measurements show why it sounds what I described as beautiful! give it time this is only the beginning of the buzz about it;)
post #17 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

So have you heard the Sub1 club968? If so, how did it compare to the JL Audio f113? Just curios why the move to the Funk Audio? They do look interesting and they are getting my attention. Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. I can get gloss black f212 for 4200, but my wife still not crazy about the size or the most money either. What is everyone's opinion on the Funk Audio 18.0c? 18' driver seems a bit too big to controlled well in a home environment with music; no decay, no overhang or sounding bloated at the lower frequencies. Very curious. cool.gif
post #18 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I even noticed some weaknesses with the jl audio f113, but yet to find one that sounds better overall in the price range. That's why the Paradigm Sub1 has my attention at that price and it my wife's approval as far as looks goes she thinks its the best one, but if it don't sound at least as good as the f113 we all are not going to be happy. I like the smaller multiple subs in that a configuration and it seems that way it would be a very accurate, flat, quick response sub. Although a lot less power than the f13. The funk audio is something different, has me curious like George...lol.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-12-2013, 01:01 PM

I have heard a Sub 1 at the dealer, it sounded fantastic......but in the small room that it was in with calibration and all, I could not see any advantages compared to the F113 except that it had more output down low. I'm sure the Sub 1 would have fared better in my extremely large room at home, but I never had the opportunity to test it out. Again, I wanted two subwoofers so two of the Sub 1s would have been too pricey at the time. I've never heard the Funk Audios personally but I have talked to quite a few people who either own or have at least heard them. It seemed like the next step the way every one was raving about them....plus it compares easily with the submersive HP or the JTR Captivator S as far as output and extension but looks way way way way better and is relatively more compact in size (which is important because I suffer from marriage).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Paradigm , Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page