HSU VTF-2 amp repair Options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Those of us with the classic older Hsu VTF-2 sub-woofers know the story, that the amps tend to go bad over time (burn out or make noise), and as of around 2012, Hsu is no longer offering to repair the amps. Mine is making noise now.

Here is what Hsu Research now offers as a resolution:
"Unfortunately we no longer support that model. If you can enlarge the amplifier cutout about 0.1", you can purchase the VTF-1 MK2 amplifier and use that. It runs $215 plus $25 S/H if you are in the lower 48 states. The other alternative is since we do not support your sub anymore, we will extend you a one-time offer to upgrade to any of our new models at (special pricing)"

The following questions:
(1) Has anyone tried installing the new VTF-1 MK-2 amp? Results?
(2) Is there any 3rd party amp that can be tried?
(3) Hate to throw away the enclosure and speaker, any market for that?
(4) Most folks say it is very hard to repair circuit board even for a shop...it looks fine to the eye, no obvious blown capacitors etc

Now that I got the thing apart, replacing with the VTF-1 MK2 amp sounds workable from a wood work persepctive. The old amp comes out easily in a plastic enclosure, presumably Hsu would replace the whole unit and you would just need to make the hole a little bigger probably with a router. I never used the VTF-2 much over 5% volume but I like to get down to 25 Hz for good sound effects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
I have the exact situation. I called them yesterday. I would like to fix my older VTF-2 sub if I can and hopefully I can get a free estimate from a shop.

If that doesnt work, I would like to try to replace the amp with another one, but not an HSU. The only problem is I cant find an amp with the same dimensions to fit the cutout.

I dont want to pay for the replacement HSU amp since I can upgrade to the VTF-2 MK4 for a little more than double the cost of the amp and it has a 12" woofer and a 250watt amp vs my existing 10" and 150 watts. Plus I get a 2yr on electronics and 7yr on subwoofer.

If anyone knows where I can find a plate amplifier thats 10" by 10", I would greatly appreciate it. If I repair it with a cheaper amp, maybe I'll move it to the bedroom and buy another one anyway..
post #3 of 17 Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max5150 View Post

I have the exact situation. I called them yesterday. I would like to fix my older VTF-2 sub if I can and hopefully I can get a free estimate from a shop.

If that doesnt work, I would like to try to replace the amp with another one, but not an HSU. The only problem is I cant find an amp with the same dimensions to fit the cutout.

I dont want to pay for the replacement HSU amp since I can upgrade to the VTF-2 MK4 for a little more than double the cost of the amp and it has a 12" woofer and a 250watt amp vs my existing 10" and 150 watts. Plus I get a 2yr on electronics and 7yr on subwoofer.

If anyone knows where I can find a plate amplifier thats 10" by 10", I would greatly appreciate it. If I repair it with a cheaper amp, maybe I'll move it to the bedroom and buy another one anyway..

I don't think you will find a 10" x 10" plate amp to fit the existing one. You could use an external amp like this one:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-601

Just bridge it and you have 150 watts.

Or you could buy a plate amp and just hook it up external to the sub.
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers/332
post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I don't think you will find a 10" x 10" plate amp to fit the existing one. You could use an external amp like this one:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=302-601

Just bridge it and you have 150 watts.

Or you could buy a plate amp and just hook it up external to the sub.
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-plate-amplifiers/332

Thanks...hmm this Dayton SA-240 on sale looks like a fit ...looks a lot like the Hsu unit too

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-805

This model has Boost and there is a similar swicthable boost model.
What do you guys think?
post #5 of 17 Old 01-19-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks guys.. I didnt see the Dayton SA-240.. those dimensions would more than likely fit.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I like this model more as the bass boost can be turned on or off and it only a couple bucks more. You also have to be careful when boosting a ported sub as well

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-803

You may have to build a spacer plate onto the sub box for it to fit
post #7 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

I like this model more as the bass boost can be turned on or off and it only a couple bucks more. You also have to be careful when boosting a ported sub as well

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-803

You may have to build a spacer plate onto the sub box for it to fit

Agree that Dayton looks like a good option. With luck it appears to be near exact fit into existing cut out.
Another VTF-2 (MK2) owner on part-express.com said it fit his perfectly, but I don't think I have MK2 version so we'll see. Anyways its hard to look any further than this Dayton as it seems to be a good fit. The one things looks funny is the BASE BOOST button seems to be in a funny place behind the main control panel where it may interfere with installation.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM

This might help someone with a similar fault. My VTF-2 Mk I developed a low frequency noise. I changed some capacitors in the amp board and now it is fine!

Here are the caps I changed:
47uf 25v 1pc
100uf 16v 3pcs
10uf 50v 2pcs
These were replaced as they were an inferior brand that seemed most likely to fail. For a dollar worth of parts and some effort the bet paid off.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie7 View Post

This might help someone with a similar fault. My VTF-2 Mk I developed a low frequency noise. I changed some capacitors in the amp board and now it is fine!

47uf 25v 1pc
100uf 16v 3pcs
10uf 50v 2pcs
These were replaced as they were an inferior brand that seemed most likely to fail. For a dollar worth of parts and some effort the bet paid off.
Great advice. I did the same with a Samsung LCD TV that I have in my bedroom and it has been flawless ever since and it only cost me a few bucks. I had never done anything like that before, but it was a simple fix for something that most people would have spent hundreds of dollars for or even junk the TV altogether. Google is a wonderful thing! Now that I know what to look for on things like that I'm confident that I can repair a lot more of my electronics. I also fixed a broken PS3.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 AM

Updating my previous post. Bought the SA-240 and installed in my VTF-2. The amplifier worked for a few minutes then failed. Called Parts Express and did a RMA and received another one. Installed it and now it works great with a little more power than OEM!! The amp was an exact fit. Thanks again for the info.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max5150 View Post

Updating my previous post. Bought the SA-240 and installed in my VTF-2. The amplifier worked for a few minutes then failed. Called Parts Express and did a RMA and received another one. Installed it and now it works great with a little more power than OEM!! The amp was an exact fit. Thanks again for the info.
Awesome man it's good to hear everything worked out and now people will have an option in the future if they run into a similar problem.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

47uf 25v 1pc
100uf 16v 3pcs
10uf 50v 2pcs

Thank for the post...what cap brand do you think is inferior
post #13 of 17 Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Sorry for late reply, just logged back on. Suspect electrolytic cap brands imo are anything that's not a well regarded major brand such as Nichicon, Rubycon, Panasonic, Sanyo etc. I'm also suspicious of CapXon used on the board.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM

My Mk 1 sub has since developed another fault - no sound at all even though the power light is On.
Problem was traced to the relay circuit - it did not connect the amp output to the speaker. There is a relay and two npn transistors (C945) in the circuit.

Without replacement parts on hand, a quick fix is to bypass this relay circuit but then there will be a switch on thump (relay keeps this from being heard). Bypass can be done by soldering a link between the relevant relay (normally open) leg to the speaker connection. Check the relay (812H-1C) connections by googling for the datasheet.

I changed both the relay and transistors and everything's working as new. Parts cost less than $2.

Seems the plate amp is otherwise quite dependable and there's no need to replace it entirely, apart from changing the caps I mentioned earlier and the relay/transistors.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

47uf 25v 1pc
100uf 16v 3pcs
10uf 50v 2pcs

I have a VTF-3 MK2 that has just failed me: amp is not putting out enough output. I took the whole amp plate out and see a lot of caps on there. Did you just replace the largest caps? Never replaced caps before so this will be a first for me as well...
post #16 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Hi Bernie,
Thanks for all of the great advice. My subs been out of commission for over a year. I'm Retired, so cant afford a new one as Somethng always seem to take precedence.. I bought the replacement caps you recommeded. However not being repair adept I dont know which to replace. I have 3 pics attached as JPG's. If you get a chance pls review and advise.
Hsu1.jpg 683k .jpg file
Hsu4.jpg 804k .jpg file
Hsu6.jpg 1265k .jpg file

Other opinions I have seen:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521149

Thank You Bernie.
John
]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hsu1.jpg (682.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Hsu4.jpg (804.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Hsu6.jpg (1.23 MB, 6 views)
post #17 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Bernie hasn't been around since January, according to his profile. I would ask Hsu's tech support.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page