AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
Ok, thanks.

I have an EP4000 with one channel available and a minidsp for LPF. Anything else I need to get?
should be good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 319 Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
I spent some time last night playing with the settings in the iNuke. I think I agree with many in this forum that a low-pass filter at 40 Hz is the most natural setting. I applied a Butterworth 12 dB/octave slope, so it still passes some higher frequencies but with less intensity. I tried a number of other options between 40 Hz and 80 Hz with varying slopes, but every time I came back to the 40Hz/12dB setting.

I also applied a dynamic EQ of 9 dB at 40 Hz with an LP12 filter at a threshold of -30 dB. This helps keep the Crowson's effect relatively constant across volume levels. I tend to agree with Craig that there is one "right" intensity for the Crowson and it should stay there. I generally listen below reference level, so that is likely coloring my perception on this issue. At some of my listening levels, the Crowson has a very limited effect without the dynamic EQ. I can understand how some people would like that, but on balance, I think it is better to keep it at one intensity.

The delay took some time to dial in well, but it now feels right. My pre-pro (Emotiva UMC-200) has two LFE outputs. I use one to feed my subwoofer's amp and one to feed the iNuke NU3000DSP driving the Crowson. There are so many delay difference in the chain to account for, as the amps likely have different internal delays and the cable runs are different lengths. The sub sits several feet from me, so the sound it produces takes time to reach me. And the Crowson takes some amount of time translate the electrical signal into motion and for me to then feel that motion. Finally, I haven't researched this, but I suspect that we perceive sound at a different time than we perceive the sound's shockwave on our bodies. To feel natural, I suspect the low-frequency sound from the subwoofer and the motion from the Crowson may need to reach me at different times. As complex as it is to try to calculate the correct delay to apply to the Crowson, setting the delay is actually easy. I just played some clips that had a staccato low-frequency moment, closed my eyes, and listened/felt the response. I dialed in various delays until it felt natural. Not very scientific, but I am happy with the results. For those looking for clips to dial in the delay, try the moment when the window blows out of the building about 30 seconds into The Dark Knight.

My chair is a Fusion Escape sold by Roman of Ultimate Home Entertainment. I tried placing the Crowson in a few places. The best effect was achieved on the main cross-brace that extends from the left side to the right side of the chair in the back. The effect was similar when placed in the left-back corner as the right-back corner when facing forward in the chair.

So far I have spent more time configuring the Crowson than I have spent watching movies with it. That's not to say configuring it was difficult or particularly time-consuming. I just haven't had much time for movies lately. Based on the scenes I tested, however, I think I will very much enjoy having it in my system.
How exactly did you place the rubber mounts on the Escape chairs? I found they slipped over the existing feet perfectly if flipped over. I have the same seats and a pair of Crowsons, just trying to flesh out all ideas about placement. I may do a plywood riser also.
post #303 of 319 Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 276
These are not the Escape chairs, but here's how I mounted them on my Acoustic Innovations chairs:

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #304 of 319 Old 06-20-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally had a D500 amp but it had some issues, it was swapped for a D501. I noticed the movie mode has been changed, the D500 had 8db boost between 30 and 80hz, the 501 has a 6db boost but remains flat (according to the manuals).

I'm just wondering if anyone is running any EQ on their crowson setups? The really low stuff (<20hz) seems a lot more noticeable on mine than the higher frequency content, but it seems to blend with the subs better. I'm running the low pass at 40hz.
post #305 of 319 Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalis2 View Post
How exactly did you place the rubber mounts on the Escape chairs? I found they slipped over the existing feet perfectly if flipped over. I have the same seats and a pair of Crowsons, just trying to flesh out all ideas about placement. I may do a plywood riser also.
These are not great pictures, but they should show where I attached my Crowson feet. Since the Crowson feet are taller than the original feet on the Escape, I was able to leave the original feet on the chair. I just backed out a screw on each of the two main cross braces where the arms attached and then used that same screw to hold the Crowson feet on. If your Escapes don't have arms attached on both sides, then this won't work quite right for you. I put the Crowson itself in the back left corner between the two existing feet. It is tall enough that the feet don't touch the floor or otherwise interfere with the actuator. (Sorry if the images are larger than they should be or are rotated 90 degrees. Still working out the kinks in the new image uploading protocol.)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0486.jpg (182.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0487.jpg (251.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0488.jpg (227.3 KB, 131 views)
cubalis2 likes this.
post #306 of 319 Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
These are not great pictures, but they should show where I attached my Crowson feet. Since the Crowson feet are taller than the original feet on the Escape, I was able to leave the original feet on the chair. I just backed out a screw on each of the two main cross braces where the arms attached and then used that same screw to hold the Crowson feet on. If your Escapes don't have arms attached on both sides, then this won't work quite right for you. I put the Crowson itself in the back left corner between the two existing feet. It is tall enough that the feet don't touch the floor or otherwise interfere with the actuator. (Sorry if the images are larger than they should be or are rotated 90 degrees. Still working out the kinks in the new image uploading protocol.)
Pictures help, thanks for taking the time to flip the seats and show me.
post #307 of 319 Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my Crowson for about a week now, very impressed so far. Still trying some different LPF settings, currently using 30hz. Ordered more Crowson's for the rest of my chairs and a iNuke 3000dsp to drive them. I see some of you are using plywood under the chair. Do the Crowson and isolators sit under or on top of the plywood? One thing I noticed is at lower frequencies it shakes the seat of the chair more and higher frequencies shake the seat back of the chair. Anyone else notice this?
post #308 of 319 Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've had my Crowson for about a week now, very impressed so far. Still trying some different LPF settings, currently using 30hz. Ordered more Crowson's for the rest of my chairs and a iNuke 3000dsp to drive them. I see some of you are using plywood under the chair. Do the Crowson and isolators sit under or on top of the plywood? One thing I noticed is at lower frequencies it shakes the seat of the chair more and higher frequencies shake the seat back of the chair. Anyone else notice this?
what shakes depends on your seat. Isolators on top of the wood. I'm crossing mine at 60hz, but filtered a bit at the top end.
post #309 of 319 Old 07-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Hi,

I live in a townhouse and keep the subwoofer volume as low as possible to not bother the neighbors. I planned on getting a set of crowson's to help overcome this and add the feel back in. However I read a review that mentions how the crowson's shake the floor and expect a knock from the neighbors.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...r-99090/review

My townhouse has old wood floors (built in the 40's) and neighbors on both sides, no one up or down. Any thoughts or comments on unwanted vibrations?

Thanks,
post #310 of 319 Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_P View Post
Hi,

I live in a townhouse and keep the subwoofer volume as low as possible to not bother the neighbors. I planned on getting a set of crowson's to help overcome this and add the feel back in. However I read a review that mentions how the crowson's shake the floor and expect a knock from the neighbors.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...r-99090/review

My townhouse has old wood floors (built in the 40's) and neighbors on both sides, no one up or down. Any thoughts or comments on unwanted vibrations?

Thanks,
Just to isolate vibrations from your neighbors, you could build the smallest of risers then place the crowsons on top of that. What I'm describing is say a 3/4"piece (maybe even double it up) of plywood with rubber feet on the bottom. Then use another set of rubber feet when you place your seating on top of that. Essentially treat that first mini riser as if it is the regular floor and isolate the crowsons accordingly. Your seating would be elevated a few inches but...
post #311 of 319 Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Re the plywood, the crowsons are often placed on top of wood (should only need a piece as large as the crowson) so that the transducer doesn't sink into the carpet and diminish its effectiveness. Mine are placed underneath much larger pieces of wood so there is a much larger surface for the transducer to move and reduce localization vs some of the small metal supports that were under my seating.
post #312 of 319 Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Any force absorbed under the unit is that much less force transmitted to the seat.
post #313 of 319 Old 07-09-2014, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the idea gpmbc, hopefully they don't cause any noise problems.

Has anyone experienced unwanted vibrations/noise throughout the house or got any complaints?

Thanks,
post #314 of 319 Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A couple of questions for you Crowson enthusiast.

What's the difference between the old discontinued TES 100 and the new Shadow 8 model?
Which one offers the most bang for the buck?
I think I saw yesterday that the TES 100 is still available on Amazon.

Also is it necessary to purchase subwoofers, if you opt for the Crowson system for your HT seating?

post #315 of 319 Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Coolcat, not sure of the difference between the old transducer and the new. Transducers are not a substitute for subs though. They will make your subs feel like they have more extension for sure.
post #316 of 319 Old 07-10-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

What's the difference between the old discontinued TES 100 and the new Shadow 8 model?

Also is it necessary to purchase subwoofers, if you opt for the Crowson system for your HT seating?
From their website:

The Shadow-8 is part of the same family as the original TES100. The Shadow-8 shares the same famous quality and reliability but delivers improved performance especially when producing infrasonic frequencies (below 20Hz). The Shadow-8 has a new magnet structure with a vented center pole to allow air to move in and out more efficiently. The Shadow-8 also sports a new 8 ohm drive coil and an increased range of motion.
post #317 of 319 Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Transducers are not a substitute for subs though. They will make your subs feel like they have more extension for sure.
+1
post #318 of 319 Old 07-10-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

AFAIK, the only significant difference between the TES 100 and the Shadow 8 is the impedance. The TES 100 is 4 Ohms and the Shadow 8 is 8 Ohms. This is only important for single transducers if the amp has a problem driving an 8 Ohm load. For multiple transducers driven by a single amp, it will determine how you hook up the multiples; series or parallel. Other than that, the form factor and the performance is virtually the same.

The TES 100 was D/C'd a number of years ago. If someone is still selling them as "new" I would want verification that it is actually new, in box and not refurbished or used. Also, I would ask Randy Crowson if he still provides a warranty for, and still stocks parts for the TES 100's.

As far as transducers being a substitute for subwoofers, IMO, the answer will depend on your speakers. If you use "full range" speakers, and they provide all the bass you want, then transducers will enhance that bass, and subs will be unnecessary. However, if you use bookshelf, satellite or "LCR-type" speakers, I would not suggest using transducers without subs. It would be weird to "feel" the transducers without any appropriate bass "sound" with which to correlate it.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #319 of 319 Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page