The "Official" Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators Thread. - Page 20 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #571 of 595 Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
I own the BK-1000A as well and it works great like you said. Randolph however told me that something like the inuke would work better with the crowsons.
My experience with iNuke is that it's noisy, (fan noise), it has garish yellow lighting on the face, and it has a gain structure that requires a higher voltage. (The last issue may or may not be a problem, depending on the source used to drive the iNuke.)

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 595 Old 04-23-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
My experience with iNuke is that it's noisy, (fan noise), it has garish yellow lighting on the face, and it has a gain structure that requires a higher voltage. (The last issue may or may not be a problem, depending on the source used to drive the iNuke.)

Craig
Yeah, if the BK is silent, I think that might be a front runner for me.

I actually have a Velodyne SMS-1 I will be using for DSP, so I can control the Crowson's independently via remote.
post #573 of 595 Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 871
What is happening with the group buy you guys were trying to put together?
post #574 of 595 Old 04-24-2015, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedreda View Post
I own the BK-1000A as well and it works great like you said. Randolph however told me that something like the inuke would work better with the crowsons than the BK1000A.
The iNuke DSP works well with it, and the ability to fine-tune the high/low pass is so neat. But as Craig said, it needs enough voltage. I had two sub outs from my oppo feeding the inuke at the same time, which doubled the voltage it received. As far as loudness, I had the iNuke in an equipment closet along with a computer with four powersupplies, as well as two dedicated fans running to keep my Lumagen from overheating. The equipment room was loud already, so I could never hear how loud the iNuke actually was. I'll actually be purchasing five more Crowsons, and I'm tyring to figure out if I should get more iNukes (due to the voltage issues), or go with something else to power them.
post #575 of 595 Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
The iNuke DSP works well with it, and the ability to fine-tune the high/low pass is so neat. But as Craig said, it needs enough voltage. I had two sub outs from my oppo feeding the inuke at the same time, which doubled the voltage it received. As far as loudness, I had the iNuke in an equipment closet along with a computer with four powersupplies, as well as two dedicated fans running to keep my Lumagen from overheating. The equipment room was loud already, so I could never hear how loud the iNuke actually was. I'll actually be purchasing five more Crowsons, and I'm tyring to figure out if I should get more iNukes (due to the voltage issues), or go with something else to power them.
Better future proof yourself just in case:

The Powersoft K20 should fit the bill.
post #576 of 595 Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Better future proof yourself just in case:

The Powersoft K20 should fit the bill.
Ha! Those are for folks who eat their dinner with golden spoons and prefer $100 dollar bills in their salads.
post #577 of 595 Old 04-24-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I use an iNuke 3000DSP to drive two BK Advance units on one channel and two Crowson TMA units on the other channel. I have no problem with the input signal level from my Oppo 103. The input voltage sensitivity on the iNuke amp is .75V which should make them easy to drive to full output. I am using the limiter setting in the DSP as a precaution...
I don't know what the max value that the Oppo can send on the sub out but it appears to be higher than .75V.

I used an audio test DVD along with the Remote Software on the iNuke to set levels focusing on the 5Hz to 10Hz area...here is what I have:

All trims in the Oppo are set to "0" & all speakers set to "small" with the sub tuned "on". Master Volume on the Oppo set to "80".
CH A & CH B input level controls on the iNuke set to 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock...

During demanding bass scenes, the limiter (-1.0dB) is kicking in from time to time.

I am a bit confused on why the iNuke amps needs "enough voltage" to work properly...I must be missing something and I want to make sure that I have things set-up correctly.
post #578 of 595 Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
What is happening with the group buy you guys were trying to put together?
PM sent, sir.
post #579 of 595 Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
PM sent, sir.
Thanks.
post #580 of 595 Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
PM sent, sir.
I'd also like some information on this, please!
post #581 of 595 Old 04-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I have both NU3000DSPs and NU6000DSPs and have no problems driving them to clipping from my Yamaha AVRs, with the gain knobs just over half. Laugsbach, I don't think you're missing anything, the iNukes are not hard to drive.

As for noise, yeah, the 3k is a bit loud in my bedroom where I generally just listen to music at lower volumes. The 6K in the living room doesn't bother me, I'm generally listening at much higher higher volumes there, can't hear it over a movie.
laugsbach likes this.
post #582 of 595 Old 04-29-2015, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
I plan on ordering a Crowson Level 2 Motion System:
Two Shadow-8 Actuators with a D-501 Amplifier soon.

I have one two seat sofa with a center armrest (main seating position).
The sofa is flanked by a PSA XS15se subwoofer on each side.
I can't put a platform under the sofa.

So what do you recommend that I place under the actuators and isolators, to isolate them from the floor?
Also, do I need any other hardware?
I have a Denon AVR-X4000 and a Sony BDP-S5200 Blu-ray player.

Any suggestions about hooking everything up to my system, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #583 of 595 Old 05-15-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

My blu-ray player doesn't have a sub out on the back panel.
So is there anything else I can use to connect for the ULF.
My receiver has Audyssey XT32 with Sub EQ HT.
So, I think I'll need to bypass it's ULF output, so that the room correction doesn't interfere with the signal feed to the Crowson amplifier/pre-pro actuators.

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #584 of 595 Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
So, I think I'll need to bypass it's ULF output, so that the room correction doesn't interfere with the signal feed to the Crowson amplifier/pre-pro actuators.
Sounds like from your previous post you have 2 subs equidistant from you MLP? Does you AVR have 2 independent sub outs? If so then you can do what I did.......I hooked up sub1 to both of my subs since they are equidistant, and treated them as 1 sub. Then you run XT32 with nothing hooked up to sub2. After XT32 calibration you hook up your Crowson amp to sub2 and it wont have any filters applied it. Since there was nothing hooked up to sub2 during calibration, XT32 didnt see anything and therefore didnt apply any filters. After calibration you will need to go into the menu and manually turn on sub2, at least thats what I had to do with my Onkyo Tx-nr3009. The intensity will be controlled by the MV, so if you want more at a lower listening level you can just bump up the sub trim on sub2.

You can look at post #503 of this thread....I did some measurements to confirm that this works.

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...0-build-4.html
post #585 of 595 Old 05-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Sounds like from your previous post you have 2 subs equidistant from you MLP? Does you AVR have 2 independent sub outs? If so then you can do what I did.......I hooked up sub1 to both of my subs since they are equidistant, and treated them as 1 sub. Then you run XT32 with nothing hooked up to sub2. After XT32 calibration you hook up your Crowson amp to sub2 and it wont have any filters applied it. Since there was nothing hooked up to sub2 during calibration, XT32 didnt see anything and therefore didnt apply any filters. After calibration you will need to go into the menu and manually turn on sub2, at least thats what I had to do with my Onkyo Tx-nr3009. The intensity will be controlled by the MV, so if you want more at a lower listening level you can just bump up the sub trim on sub2.
Just a quick note that the above procedure doesn't work with Denon AVRs with SubEq - or at least not with the X-4000. Specifically, once you manually enable the 2nd sub, Audyssey automatically dis-engages. So technically, you could say that it works, but Audyssey effectively becomes disengaged for all channels (you need to re-run Audyssey with two subs connected). Also keep in mind that SubEq independently configures the distance/delay and trim, but the same EQ filter is applied to both subs.
post #586 of 595 Old 05-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Just a quick note that the above procedure doesn't work with Denon AVRs with SubEq - or at least not with the X-4000. Specifically, once you manually enable the 2nd sub, Audyssey automatically dis-engages. So technically, you could say that it works, but Audyssey effectively becomes disengaged for all channels (you need to re-run Audyssey with two subs connected). Also keep in mind that SubEq independently configures the distance/delay and trim, but the same EQ filter is applied to both subs.
Hmm.....interesting. You have me second guessing myself now. I took in-room, loop back, and preout measurements when I did this, but now I don't remember if I took the in-room and loop back for sub1 before I turned on sub2 for my crowsons. If what your saying holds to my Onkyo, then I may have been listening to my system without XT32 for the last 6 months! I will go home today and see in XT32 is still engaged.
post #587 of 595 Old 05-15-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
You need this :
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BD-F75...=samsung+f7500

Or this if you have the budget:
http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-103-U...s=oppo+bdp-103

Best way to get the most out of your crowsons is to separate the ULF at the source.
post #588 of 595 Old 05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
Hmm.....interesting. You have me second guessing myself now. I took in-room, loop back, and preout measurements when I did this, but now I don't remember if I took the in-room and loop back for sub1 before I turned on sub2 for my crowsons. If what your saying holds to my Onkyo, then I may have been listening to my system without XT32 for the last 6 months! I will go home today and see in XT32 is still engaged.

Onkyos don't behave that way, because they don't have SubEQ on the XT32 models. You don't have to "turn on" the second sub out.
post #589 of 595 Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Seems like you could minimize problems by EQ'ing your subs as much as possible before running Audyssey. Then it should make minimal adjustments to the LFE output giving you a relatively untouched output for feeding the Crowsons.
post #590 of 595 Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Anybody use the BKA1000-N amplifier with the Crowson transducers? Amazon has it for $284.15 plus free shipping.
For the members who have this combination, how do you like it? How do you have yours setup? Just looking at all my options before I place my order.

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #591 of 595 Old 05-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I am using two BK1000Ns to power my 5 Crowson transducers.. They are grouped into 2 sets (3 in parallel and 2 in parallel). I use it with a minidsp to control the delay and add some eq. I like the results but then I have nothing else to compare it to.
Quote:
Anybody use the BKA1000-N amplifier with the Crowson transducers? Amazon has it for $284.15 plus free shipping.
For the members who have this combination, how do you like it? How do you have yours setup? Just looking at all my options before I place my order.

Last edited by ahmedreda; 05-19-2015 at 10:33 AM.
post #592 of 595 Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

I am also using the BKA1000-N with my Crowsons. I wrote a little more about my set up in post 40-42 of this thread if you want read the full details but the short of it is - I'm happy with the results and love that the BKA amp is quiet (no fan noise).
post #593 of 595 Old Today, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys for all your responses.
I can't wait to get this plugged into my system.
They should compliment my dual PSA XS15se subs really well.

Another quick question, has anyone watched a football game on TV with the Crowson system?
Do you feel the hits and tackles?

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #594 of 595 Old Today, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another quick question, has anyone watched a football game on TV with the Crowson system?
Not typically, as those usually occur at a much higher frequency than where you'd want your crowsons set. If you went that high, you'd hear voices coming from the Crowsons as well.
post #595 of 595 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You talking live football games? Or some post production recap? Or just football movies?

HUGE difference between those three.

Live football I doubt it will add much.

I'd like to see a speclab graph of an actual football tackle on a Monday night football game. Don't expect very much to be in the bass region.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers