The "Official" Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators Thread. - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #601 of 603 Old 06-11-2015, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Unless you're on the basement level with concrete under your carpet, I don't think the Crowson actuators (or any other tactile transducers) are apartment friendly.
I'm on the top floor of a five story high rise.
I guess I'll be taking everybody along for the ride.

Actually, there's a lot of fracking going on in my area, so I can blame the earthquakes on them.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 603 Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello I just wanted to add my praise of the Crowsons to the list here. If not for this thread I might not have ended up with them. So thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and excitement! After reading through the thread about 4 months ago, I was so excited I ordered the Dual Shadow-8s for my 3 seat leather reclining couch and a Buttkicker 1000 amp. I set them up like some did in this thread by using the sub out on an OPPO 103 so it would not be tied directly to the MV and also not have it affected by any EQ that Audyssey XT32 applies. It works great this way and is easily adjusted on the fly with the volume control on the Oppo remote.

To put it mildly, I absolutely love these things and cant get over just how much they add to movies (and music but I mainly use them for movies). Like some have said here, I would not want to watch movies ever again without them (well maybe a times ....more on this later). At least not at listening levels ~10 MV and lower. Most of my moving watching is somewhere between -30 and -10 but occasionally I get up around 0 MV or a little louder. One of the things I really like about these is that you don't have to have your system really cranked to get that amazing tactile feel. I also love how they feel so natural and not gimmicky (if they are not turned up way to high of course in relation to MV). Although, I find my self turning them up a little more these days because they do just feel so natural and pretty much move the couch and give that same tactile feel that my subs do at high SPL's. In fact they feel so similar that a lot of times I cant hardly tell which is which - the subs or the Crowsons. IMO when integrated well, they most definitely connect you to the film more and significantly add to the experience! I didn't really know this was possible without listening at crazy MV's and with subs (particularly near field) ran a little hot.

A little about the bass in my system: I run two subs (JTR powered Cap2400 & a Rythmik FV15HP) in my living room in a large open floor plan 2 story house. On the lower level, the living room opens up to the main entry/lounge room, the dining room and pretty much the kitchen, making it about ~ 9,000ish cubic feet on a concrete slab. The Cap2400 is in the front corner about 12' away and the FV15HP is nearfield directly behind the MLP with the driver firing into the couch. The bass is great with the Cap only up front but adding the nearfiled FV with the driver pretty much touching the couch right behind me made a HUGE difference in punch and tactile feel. Nearfield with driver a couple inches away firing into you is seriously no joke!! I think I'm forever ruined now Unfortunately since my HT is in my living room, the FV set up this way directly behind the couch is only temporary for movie watching sessions. Its just to damned big and in the way to leave there so it gets moved back to an end table position and doesn't have near the impact as directly behind.

For a comparison, I think the addition of the Crowsons + Cap2400 only up front made just about as big of a tactile difference down low as adding the FV15HP nearfield + Cap2400. So sometimes I'll just use Cap only plus the Crowsons and not mess with moving the FV behind. But the combination of the 3 together really is on a whole new level! At least at lower to moderate listening levels like in the -40 to -10 on the MV. Only when getting up close to reference at 0 MV or more because the SPL's are so high, the Crowsons don't seem to add as much. Bass from the Subs, especially that nearfield FV, is slamming you so hard, that what the Crowsons add doesn't seem quite as significant. Maybe I just need to crank them up more when listening that loud Since I dont have them tied into the MV, I usually vary there intensity level just a bit depending on how loud I'm listening.

I do have a couple questions about these Crowsons for you guys if you don't mind sharing. Do any of you run a house curve to raise FR at say around 20Hz and below? I use a miniDSP so I may play around with that a bit. Also has anyone with a metal frame couch/chair gone from using the actuator directly under the metal frame to putting a piece of plywood in between actuator and metal frame? If so did it make much of a difference? When I called to order these, the owner said that since these Crowsons are magnets that they may be a little more efficient if the metal frame was not setting directly down on the actuators. I had plans to put a piece of 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the frame so that they would be against the wood instead of the metal. They seem to work so good though that I just haven't been able to make myself try that out yet. I do however use plywood on the carpet under the actuators and little rubber feet. And that definitely made a difference.

Onkyo TX-NR5010 - Oppo BDP-103 - KEF Q900 (mains) - KEF Q600c (center) - KEF Ci160QL (surrounds) - KEF Ci130QS (heights) - JTR Powered Captivator 2400 - Rhythmik FV15HP - MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced - Crowson Dual Shadow-8 Tactile Motion Actuators - ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amp - Epson 5030ub Projector - Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV - Darbee Darblet - SeymourAV 120" 16:9 Retractable AT Screen
post #603 of 603 Old Today, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Also has anyone with a metal frame couch/chair gone from using the actuator directly under the metal frame to putting a piece of plywood in between actuator and metal frame? If so did it make much of a difference? When I called to order these, the owner said that since these Crowsons are magnets that they may be a little more efficient if the metal frame was not setting directly down on the actuators. I had plans to put a piece of 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the frame so that they would be against the wood instead of the metal. They seem to work so good though that I just haven't been able to make myself try that out yet. I do however use plywood on the carpet under the actuators and little rubber feet. And that definitely made a difference.
I am still in the planning stage for Crowsons. I have four reclining chairs that are not attached to one-another but sit side by side and share arm rests. Would it work to lay a 1x6 under the back of the chairs for the full length, then arranged two Crowsons and three rubber spacers on that, laid a 1x6 on that arrangement, and sat the back chair legs on the top 1x6. And then did the same thing under the front legs. Each chair would share the effect of two Crowsons with the chair next to it.

Is there an advantage in using plywood if the chairs only have supports in the front and rear?

--
Sony XBR75X940C & Denon AVR-X7200WA & Sony FMP-X10
Dynaudio Contour 5.4 fronts. Contour 3.4 side surrounds. Confidence C1 center. B&O rears. Volt-6 @45 degrees in-ceiling TF & TR Atmos.
ATI 2003: fronts and center & SVS sub. 7.1.4 system
HTPC: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, i5@2500K, MSI GTX-960, Kodi, foobar, PowerDVD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers