The "Official" Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators Thread. - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 54Likes

post #601 of 622 Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Unless you're on the basement level with concrete under your carpet, I don't think the Crowson actuators (or any other tactile transducers) are apartment friendly.
I'm on the top floor of a five story high rise.
I guess I'll be taking everybody along for the ride.

Actually, there's a lot of fracking going on in my area, so I can blame the earthquakes on them.

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 622 Old 08-02-2015, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hello I just wanted to add my praise of the Crowsons to the list here. If not for this thread I might not have ended up with them. So thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and excitement! After reading through the thread about 4 months ago, I was so excited I ordered the Dual Shadow-8s for my 3 seat leather reclining couch and a Buttkicker 1000 amp. I set them up like some did in this thread by using the sub out on an OPPO 103 so it would not be tied directly to the MV and also not have it affected by any EQ that Audyssey XT32 applies. It works great this way and is easily adjusted on the fly with the volume control on the Oppo remote.

To put it mildly, I absolutely love these things and cant get over just how much they add to movies (and music but I mainly use them for movies). Like some have said here, I would not want to watch movies ever again without them (well maybe a times ....more on this later). At least not at listening levels ~10 MV and lower. Most of my moving watching is somewhere between -30 and -10 but occasionally I get up around 0 MV or a little louder. One of the things I really like about these is that you don't have to have your system really cranked to get that amazing tactile feel. I also love how they feel so natural and not gimmicky (if they are not turned up way to high of course in relation to MV). Although, I find my self turning them up a little more these days because they do just feel so natural and pretty much move the couch and give that same tactile feel that my subs do at high SPL's. In fact they feel so similar that a lot of times I cant hardly tell which is which - the subs or the Crowsons. IMO when integrated well, they most definitely connect you to the film more and significantly add to the experience! I didn't really know this was possible without listening at crazy MV's and with subs (particularly near field) ran a little hot.

A little about the bass in my system: I run two subs (JTR powered Cap2400 & a Rythmik FV15HP) in my living room in a large open floor plan 2 story house. On the lower level, the living room opens up to the main entry/lounge room, the dining room and pretty much the kitchen, making it about ~ 9,000ish cubic feet on a concrete slab. The Cap2400 is in the front corner about 12' away and the FV15HP is nearfield directly behind the MLP with the driver firing into the couch. The bass is great with the Cap only up front but adding the nearfiled FV with the driver pretty much touching the couch right behind me made a HUGE difference in punch and tactile feel. Nearfield with driver a couple inches away firing into you is seriously no joke!! I think I'm forever ruined now Unfortunately since my HT is in my living room, the FV set up this way directly behind the couch is only temporary for movie watching sessions. Its just to damned big and in the way to leave there so it gets moved back to an end table position and doesn't have near the impact as directly behind.

For a comparison, I think the addition of the Crowsons + Cap2400 only up front made just about as big of a tactile difference down low as adding the FV15HP nearfield + Cap2400. So sometimes I'll just use Cap only plus the Crowsons and not mess with moving the FV behind. But the combination of the 3 together really is on a whole new level! At least at lower to moderate listening levels like in the -40 to -10 on the MV. Only when getting up close to reference at 0 MV or more because the SPL's are so high, the Crowsons don't seem to add as much. Bass from the Subs, especially that nearfield FV, is slamming you so hard, that what the Crowsons add doesn't seem quite as significant. Maybe I just need to crank them up more when listening that loud Since I dont have them tied into the MV, I usually vary there intensity level just a bit depending on how loud I'm listening.

I do have a couple questions about these Crowsons for you guys if you don't mind sharing. Do any of you run a house curve to raise FR at say around 20Hz and below? I use a miniDSP so I may play around with that a bit. Also has anyone with a metal frame couch/chair gone from using the actuator directly under the metal frame to putting a piece of plywood in between actuator and metal frame? If so did it make much of a difference? When I called to order these, the owner said that since these Crowsons are magnets that they may be a little more efficient if the metal frame was not setting directly down on the actuators. I had plans to put a piece of 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the frame so that they would be against the wood instead of the metal. They seem to work so good though that I just haven't been able to make myself try that out yet. I do however use plywood on the carpet under the actuators and little rubber feet. And that definitely made a difference.

MY GEAR
Onkyo TX-NR5010 | Oppo BDP-103 | KEF Q Series Speakers | JTR Captivator 2400 | Rythmik FV15HP | MiniDSP 2x4 (x2) | Dual Crowson Shadow-8 Tactile Motion Actuators | Dual Buttkicker LFE's | ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amp (x2) | Epson 5030ub Projector | Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV | Darbee Darblet | SeymourAV 120" 16:9 Retractable AT Screen
post #603 of 622 Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Also has anyone with a metal frame couch/chair gone from using the actuator directly under the metal frame to putting a piece of plywood in between actuator and metal frame? If so did it make much of a difference? When I called to order these, the owner said that since these Crowsons are magnets that they may be a little more efficient if the metal frame was not setting directly down on the actuators. I had plans to put a piece of 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the frame so that they would be against the wood instead of the metal. They seem to work so good though that I just haven't been able to make myself try that out yet. I do however use plywood on the carpet under the actuators and little rubber feet. And that definitely made a difference.
I am still in the planning stage for Crowsons. I have four reclining chairs that are not attached to one-another but sit side by side and share arm rests. Would it work to lay a 1x6 under the back of the chairs for the full length, then arranged two Crowsons and three rubber spacers on that, laid a 1x6 on that arrangement, and sat the back chair legs on the top 1x6. And then did the same thing under the front legs. Each chair would share the effect of two Crowsons with the chair next to it.

Is there an advantage in using plywood if the chairs only have supports in the front and rear?

--
Sony XBR75X940C & Denon AVR-X7200WA & Sony FMP-X10
Dynaudio Contour 5.4 fronts. Contour 3.4 side surrounds. Confidence C1 center. B&O rears. Volt-6 @45 degrees in-ceiling TF & TR Atmos.
ATI 2003: fronts and center & SVS sub. 7.1.4 system
HTPC: Z170X-Gaming 7, Skylake i5-6600K , Kodi, foobar, PowerDVD.
post #604 of 622 Old 10-17-2015, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I got to try out the Crowsons at CEDIA yesterday on an Elite theater seat. Two on each rear leg. It was a very refined and convincing feel that seemed to work well with music and movies. I have 2 rows of 3 Fusion Escapes. I am wondering if I will get the same effect or close to it with one Crowson per seat? On another note, I also demo'd a D-Box system. It felt unnatural and distracting to me. In all fairness, I was told that it was purposely turned up and could be turned down.
post #605 of 622 Old 10-17-2015, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
I got to try out the Crowsons at CEDIA yesterday on an Elite theater seat. Two on each rear leg. It was a very refined and convincing feel that seemed to work well with music and movies. I have 2 rows of 3 Fusion Escapes. I am wondering if I will get the same effect or close to it with one Crowson per seat? On another note, I also demo'd a D-Box system. It felt unnatural and distracting to me. In all fairness, I was told that it was purposely turned up and could be turned down.
I am using 2 transducers on 4 seats. Each transducer shakes 2 seats. My chairs have a frame around the outside. The frames of 2 chairs straddle the transducers as shown here:
craig john's theater

Can you post a picture of underside of your chairs?

I looked at your build thread and all I can say is WOW!!!!

If you have this configuration of your chairs:

...I suggest you get 2 transducers and put one under each of the middle armrests. The center chair would get the exact effect you experienced at CEDIA and the outside chairs would get a very satisfactory result.

Finally, I suggest you read Mark Seaton's comments here:
craig john's theater
It is critical to time the actuators with the bass. With 2 rows of seats you'll want slightly different delays for the front and back row.

Good luck!

Craig
mikela likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #606 of 622 Old 10-18-2015, 03:38 PM

Hi Craig,

I just got back from CEDIA last night. I was able to spend some time at the event talking to Randy. He indicated that I should probably use a Behringer since I have a Trinnov but wasn't sure how low it reaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Can you post a picture of underside of your chairs?

Quote:
If you have this configuration of your chairs:
That's it exactly.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusion Escape.png
Views:	347
Size:	846.9 KB
ID:	1003241  
post #607 of 622 Old 10-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Your chairs are the same way as mine. Randolph recommended running a piece of wood (plywood) across all 3 chairs then putting the transducers at the two ends and possibly one in the middle.
I did not like that idea very much and I ended up getting 5 transducers for the 3 chairs .. Without at least two transducers per chair I could localize which side the vibrations were coming from.. As a side note, I was running them with the gain turned high.. Now I run them low enough so they can be confused for subwoofer vibrations. I suspect localization may not be an issue at lower volumes but I can't say for sure.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Hi Craig,

I just got back from CEDIA last night. I was able to spend some time at the event talking to Randy. He indicated that I should probably use a Behringer since I have a Trinnov but wasn't sure how low it reaches.

That's it exactly.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
mikela likes this.

Last edited by ahmedreda; 10-19-2015 at 07:36 PM.
post #608 of 622 Old 10-21-2015, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hi Craig,

That's it exactly.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Hi Mike,

From your picture, it appears that the armrest is solidly connected to the chair through that metal crossbeam. Therefore, shaking of the armrest should be solidly transmitted to the chair, and since the crossbeam goes all the way across the chair, it should be transmitted evenly to the whole chair, with little or no localization. I suggest you place the transducer like this:

Then, depending on how solid the connection is between the chairs and armrests, place the second one in the same spot on the armrest on the other side. If the connection of the chairs allows the vibrations to pass through, your done. If not, then you'll need a transducer for each chair.

I suggest you avoid placing the transducers against any of the metal crossmembers. I also suggest you consider replacing the feet on the chairs with softer rubber feet. Finally, it appears that most of the feet are attached to metal. This may raise the armrest/chair 1/8" or so, which may be enough to lose contact with the transducer(s). In that case, you'll want to place something under the transducer(s) to raise them up to ensure solid contact with the armrest/chair

Craig
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fusion Escape1.png
Views:	295
Size:	839.6 KB
ID:	1007729  
mikela likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #609 of 622 Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a row of 3 Escapes and I drive them with two Crowsons. I connected the left chair to the center chair using metal and plywood, so a single Crowson placed between them can shake them both. Then I did the same thing to connect the center and the right chair and drive them with a second Crowson. The effect in the center is great because you have Crowsons on each side shaking it. The left and right chairs also shake, although to a lesser degree because only a single shared Crowson is driving them. I tend to forget about those differences when content is playing, and I don't feel the side chairs are underserved by sharing one Crowson each with the center.

That metal plate you see underneath the chair in Mike's post can be removed, pivoted 180 degrees, and used to connect the left and right chairs to the center. I believe the plate is only there to mount Buttkickers to it, so it is not necessary for the structural integrity of the chair. I could be wrong about that, but I hope not since I have used it to connect the chairs to one another. You may need to drill an extra hole or two in it to make it work, but it can be a decent way to go.

However, after I did this, I noticed that the Crowsons are magnetized and would stick to the metal plate. That made me recall Randy Crowson telling me that it is not ideal to have the Crowsons placed next to metal for that very reason. It ends up impeding their ability to shake the way they were designed. It is not fatal, but it can make their response mushy or at least less predictable. So I decided to create some 3/4 inch thick plywood plates that would cover the metal plates connecting the chairs, separating the Crowsons from the metal. It also added some structural rigidity. I achieved the coupling of the chairs and the separation of the Crowsons from the metal with this, but it also meant that I needed to add some plywood spacers to the rubber feet that come with the Crowsons. I took off most of the rubber feet that come with the Escapes because they are too short.

Once I did all this, I then recalled some forum members saying it is best not to have the Crowsons resting on carpet. That makes a lot of sense since some of the shaking energy would just drive them into the carpet instead of transferring that energy into the chair. So I cut a piece of 1/4-inch plywood to the same footprint as the three Escapes and put it under the entire row. So now my Crowsons are in a plywood sandwich (1/4-inch plywood underneath, then the Crowsons themselves, then my 3/4-inch plywood plates holding the chairs together to rest on top of the Crowsons).

I have attached some pictures that may help understand what I am talking about. You can also see where I mounted the Crowson rubber feet. The workmanship may not be pretty, but the results are great. The Crowsons add a lot to the theater experience, especially if you have a dedicated unequalized subwoofer output that you can feed to the amp, like the secondary subwoofer output on an Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-103D. Adding an Oppo took my Crowson experience up yet another notch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-10-21 20.17.34.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1008889   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-21 20.17.44.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1008897   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-21 20.17.58.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1008905   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-21 20.18.07.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1008913   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-21 20.18.12.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	1008921  

Name:	2015-10-21 20.19.53.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1008929  
mikela, craig john, SBuger and 1 others like this.
post #610 of 622 Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
I have a row of 3 Escapes and I drive them with two Crowsons.
Hi jstach500,

Thanks for the thorough description of your setup. It also sounds like you could add 2 more to each of the outside armrests if you wanted to get more uniform coverage. Randy had mentioned using 4 to me (one under each armrest) if I could connect them together. I have also been thinking about attaching directly to the sub floor and not going through carpet. Great implementation!!!

Mike
post #611 of 622 Old 10-23-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstach500 View Post
I have a row of 3 Escapes and I drive them with two Crowsons. I connected the left chair to the center chair using metal and plywood, so a single Crowson placed between them can shake them both. Then I did the same thing to connect the center and the right chair and drive them with a second Crowson. The effect in the center is great because you have Crowsons on each side shaking it. The left and right chairs also shake, although to a lesser degree because only a single shared Crowson is driving them. I tend to forget about those differences when content is playing, and I don't feel the side chairs are underserved by sharing one Crowson each with the center.

That metal plate you see underneath the chair in Mike's post can be removed, pivoted 180 degrees, and used to connect the left and right chairs to the center. I believe the plate is only there to mount Buttkickers to it, so it is not necessary for the structural integrity of the chair. I could be wrong about that, but I hope not since I have used it to connect the chairs to one another. You may need to drill an extra hole or two in it to make it work, but it can be a decent way to go.

However, after I did this, I noticed that the Crowsons are magnetized and would stick to the metal plate. That made me recall Randy Crowson telling me that it is not ideal to have the Crowsons placed next to metal for that very reason. It ends up impeding their ability to shake the way they were designed. It is not fatal, but it can make their response mushy or at least less predictable. So I decided to create some 3/4 inch thick plywood plates that would cover the metal plates connecting the chairs, separating the Crowsons from the metal. It also added some structural rigidity. I achieved the coupling of the chairs and the separation of the Crowsons from the metal with this, but it also meant that I needed to add some plywood spacers to the rubber feet that come with the Crowsons. I took off most of the rubber feet that come with the Escapes because they are too short.

Once I did all this, I then recalled some forum members saying it is best not to have the Crowsons resting on carpet. That makes a lot of sense since some of the shaking energy would just drive them into the carpet instead of transferring that energy into the chair. So I cut a piece of 1/4-inch plywood to the same footprint as the three Escapes and put it under the entire row. So now my Crowsons are in a plywood sandwich (1/4-inch plywood underneath, then the Crowsons themselves, then my 3/4-inch plywood plates holding the chairs together to rest on top of the Crowsons).

I have attached some pictures that may help understand what I am talking about. You can also see where I mounted the Crowson rubber feet. The workmanship may not be pretty, but the results are great. The Crowsons add a lot to the theater experience, especially if you have a dedicated unequalized subwoofer output that you can feed to the amp, like the secondary subwoofer output on an Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-103D. Adding an Oppo took my Crowson experience up yet another notch.

WOW.

That's a LOT of effort and work to make a very expensive device (for what it is) "function properly".....

*DIY ConcreteBunker Rustic Dream Build w/11' screen, 11.2chnl, 8x18" IB subs, 28.8KW*
GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | DaLite 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 & FP-10000Q | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
April 2015 HToM <> SuperCharged 10 second II

Last edited by rms8; 10-23-2015 at 06:58 AM.
post #612 of 622 Old 10-23-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It did take several hours, but the need/desire to do it was mainly because of the design of my chairs. A lot of chairs wouldn't require that much work. For some, you could just sit the chairs next to each other on top of a shared Crowson, no modification required (except perhaps to put some plywood underneath the Crowson if you are on carpet, but that is not essential). Even with the extra time it took me, it was well worth it.
mikela and craig john like this.
post #613 of 622 Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
WOW.

That's a LOT of effort and work to make a very expensive device (for what it is) "function properly".....

I'm sorry, but I'm just trying to understand... what exactly is the point of your post? I mean, I look at your own theater, (linked in your signature... (and a beautiful theater it is, I might add)), and I see all the effort and time you spent to get your Buttkicker system to "function properly." I mean, c'mon... you built RISERS to make your Buttkickers "function properly." That has to be orders of magnitude more work than adding a couple of pieces of plywood to a couple of seats.

Seeing what YOU had to do, I have to wonder why you would question someone else's effort to get their own system to function properly?

Craig
HTPCat and atabea like this.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #614 of 622 Old 12-05-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bottom line question...Are the Crowsons worth well over double the price of Buttkicker LFEs??? If so why?
post #615 of 622 Old 12-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post
Bottom line question...Are the Crowsons worth well over double the price of Buttkicker LFEs??? If so why?
Hard to answer. I guess it just depends on what you want out of them if they are worth the extra price. I run the Crowsons and BK LFE's . I have 2 Buttkicker LFE's (mounted to the inside of couch) along with 2 Crowson Shadow 8's on a single 3 seat couch and love them both for different reasons. If I had to choose one over the other, I don't know which one I would pick, so I use both Each have there strengths.

A long story short - I started with 2 BK LFE's and didn't just love them (primarily because I didn't have them setup very well). I sent them back to Amazon and ordered the Crowsons. After reading in this Crowson thread on how to set them up a little better, I tried the Crowsons and loved them! Recently, curiosity got the best of me so I ordered the Buttkickers LFE's again and love them as well.

From my experience with the two, the main differences in feel are that the Buttkicker LFE's are quite a bit more powerful in the 10 - 27Hz range and the Crowsons are more powerful under 10Hz and above 27Hz (I low pass at 40Hz). The LFE's don't do much of anything under 10Hz. I've done a ton of playing around with the two with sine waves and movies. I'm totally amazed at the combination of running both together. I feel like I got the best of both worlds. That said, I don't really think you need both (gets expensive) and think you'll be happy with either. I still cant get over how much they add to the movie watching experience, especially at lower listening levels!
alan_ct likes this.

MY GEAR
Onkyo TX-NR5010 | Oppo BDP-103 | KEF Q Series Speakers | JTR Captivator 2400 | Rythmik FV15HP | MiniDSP 2x4 (x2) | Dual Crowson Shadow-8 Tactile Motion Actuators | Dual Buttkicker LFE's | ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amp (x2) | Epson 5030ub Projector | Samsung PN64F8500 Plasma TV | Darbee Darblet | SeymourAV 120" 16:9 Retractable AT Screen
post #616 of 622 Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for that evaluation! Is there a lot of Blu Ray material that goes below 10 HZ these days?
post #617 of 622 Old 12-07-2015, 01:05 PM

^^^

No prob ...glad to share. A small percentage. Black Hawk Down and War of the Worlds to name few.

MY GEAR
post #618 of 622 Old 12-07-2015, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_ct View Post
Once the Crowsons are dialed in properly for level and delay, they become an integral part of the bass. By that I mean the tactile feeling you get from the transducers is just an integral and natural part of the sound you hear. I, (personally), have never had that same experience with Buttkickers, or any other transducer system. Other systems have always felt like they were an "additional" part of experience. Sometimes that addition was gimmicky and unnatural; sometimes it was really cool. But it's always felt like it was something "separate." The Crowsons don't feel that way.

My $0.02.

Craig
SBuger and atabea like this.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #619 of 622 Old 12-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Once the Crowsons are dialed in properly for level and delay, they become an integral part of the bass. By that I mean the tactile feeling you get from the transducers is just an integral and natural part of the sound you hear. I, (personally), have never had that same experience with Buttkickers, or any other transducer system. Other systems have always felt like they were an "additional" part of experience. Sometimes that addition was gimmicky and unnatural; sometimes it was really cool. But it's always felt like it was something "separate." The Crowsons don't feel that way.

My $0.02.

Craig
I would agree that the Crowsons are a bit more natural feeling (some of the time at least). I think mainly because of the way they are designed - piston moving vs magnet actually moving your couch up and down. I think the Crowsons integrate the easiest as part of the bass with a majority of material vs the Buttkicker. The Buttkicker is just so strong at certain frequencies and can easily feel like to much if you get them to high (they are real sensitive to the gain dial). I have mine integrated with Crowsons to where they feel about the same just stronger in that 12sih - 27hz. (In my style of couch I prefer the addition of the BK's in this region). I run the BK's through a miniDSP and use a low pass filter at 12db octave starting at 24 HZ to help them transition better right into the Crowsons. They feel pretty much seamless together and blend in real well. I love them both, at least on action bass heavy type movies. I do have to say though that I sometimes actually prefer to leave them both off on drama/heavy dialog types of movies where the bass can be recorded kind of funky and sporadic. I haven't really used either much with music.

BTW, your right up on using the Oppo sub out made all the difference in the world for me. So thanks for sharing!! Needless to say, that's how I have mine set up now and probably wouldn't be using the Crowsons or the BK's if it were not for the oppo or a least some other way to not have it connected to the Master Volume of the receiver.

MY GEAR
post #620 of 622 Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
I would agree that the Crowsons are a bit more natural feeling (some of the time at least). I think mainly because of the way they are designed - piston moving vs magnet actually moving your couch up and down. I think the Crowsons integrate the easiest as part of the bass with a majority of material vs the Buttkicker. The Buttkicker is just so strong at certain frequencies and can easily feel like to much if you get them to high (they are real sensitive to the gain dial). I have mine integrated with Crowsons to where they feel about the same just stronger in that 12sih - 27hz. (In my style of couch I prefer the addition of the BK's in this region). I run the BK's through a miniDSP and use a low pass filter at 12db octave starting at 24 HZ to help them transition better right into the Crowsons. They feel pretty much seamless together and blend in real well. I love them both, at least on action bass heavy type movies. I do have to say though that I sometimes actually prefer to leave them both off on drama/heavy dialog types of movies where the bass can be recorded kind of funky and sporadic. I haven't really used either much with music.

BTW, your right up on using the Oppo sub out made all the difference in the world for me. So thanks for sharing!! Needless to say, that's how I have mine set up now and probably wouldn't be using the Crowsons or the BK's if it were not for the oppo or a least some other way to not have it connected to the Master Volume of the receiver.
Honestly, I've never had a chance to try to optimize any of the non-Crowson systems I've experienced. I can imagine that it's possible that, if they were optimized for levels and, most importantly, Distances, they could conceivably rival and equal a Crowson system. I can't speculate beyond that, but it's certainly possible.

I haven't noticed any lack of output from the Crowson's in the range you attribute to stronger output from the BK's, (12 to 27 Hz), but I can certainly imagine that stronger output in that range could be perceived as beneficial. If your combined Crowson + BK system is biased towards this range, and you appreciate tactile output in this range, then I can understand your preferences.

I'm glad you enjoy your system. I certainly enjoy mine. Bottom line... that's what this is all about.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #621 of 622 Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I've never had a chance to try to optimize any of the non-Crowson systems I've experienced. I can imagine that it's possible that, if they were optimized for levels and, most importantly, Distances, they could conceivably rival and equal a Crowson system. I can't speculate beyond that, but it's certainly possible.

I haven't noticed any lack of output from the Crowson's in the range you attribute to stronger output from the BK's, (12 to 27 Hz), but I can certainly imagine that stronger output in that range could be perceived as beneficial. If your combined Crowson + BK system is biased towards this range, and you appreciate tactile output in this range, then I can understand your preferences.

I'm glad you enjoy your system. I certainly enjoy mine. Bottom line... that's what this is all about.

Craig
Like you say ..Bottom line is that you enjoy your system. I totally agree, so this probably doesn't matter at all, except for maybe someone reading this thread possibly trying to make a decision between Buttkickers or Crowsons @alan_ct , so I felt I should probably elaborate a bit further in my comparisons of the two, mainly in that 12 to 27 Hz range. To be honest and fair to each of the two transducers, the difference I feel in this range could just be my couch, since you say you haven't noticed any lack of output in this area. I think the Crowsons are designed to go under the wooden feet of a chair/couch. Mine is a couch with a metal rectangular frame for the bass. When I bought the Crowsons, Randy told me that since the Crowsons are magnetic, that they would probably be more efficient against wood rather than metal. This could be why I feel that the BK's have a bit of an edge on the Crowsons in that frequency range. I don't particularly think I'm biased to that range. I like the ones above and below just as much. In fact I prefer the feel of the Crowsons above and below 12 -27 hz. Again, this could all be from my couch. I did actually try putting plywood between the Crowsons and the metal frame on my couch briefly (before I added the BK's to the mix). I probably didn't give it enough of a chance but after a few movie clips I almost immediately new I liked the way they felt up against the metal rather the wood. More efficient or not I kind of liked the way the vibrations transferred to my body a little differently with the Crowsons against the metal. I've attached a few pics of my couch with the BK's and Crowsons.

Either way I really like both and feel so lucky to have found transducers. For me, since a lot of my movie watching at night has to be at lower listening levels to not wake the wife and little one, they make it so much fun and tremendously add to the experience!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0224.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1106138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1106146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1106154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1106162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1106170  

MY GEAR

Last edited by SBuger; 12-07-2015 at 11:34 PM.
post #622 of 622 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I recently got a pair of Crownson’s for the loveseat in my theater. I really like them. Last night I was watching Godzilla 1998. When Godzilla is stomping down the road the effect is really cool. I liked the fact that you don’t have to modify the couch in order to install them. I made some wooden blocks and put the Crownson’s on top of the blocks so the back legs of the couch were just off the floor eliminating the need for the front riser pads for the front of the couch.
My theater only seats 5. Sometimes people have to sit on the floor in front of the couch. The floor shakes also.
There is a lot of bass in my room. The Crownson’s complement the rest of the bass seamlessly. Below is flow chart of how I set them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page