The "Official" Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators Thread. - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #811 of 858 Old 10-27-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
You bought plywood from amazon for these? Do you have a link?
Actually it's medium density fiberboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Onkyo TX-RZ1100 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 9Ch. Network Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 858 Old 10-27-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

How are those being placed? Are they riding on top of the carpet or hard surface backed?
Bunga99 likes this.
post #813 of 858 Old 10-27-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:

Ouch. $6 for one 6"x6" piece of 1/4" MDF? Why didn't you stop by Lowes or Home Depot and have them cut down a piece of scrap?

Is 1/4" sufficient?
post #814 of 858 Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
6" panels aren't going to make much of a difference. You're spreading what, 5x5 to 6x6 instead? unless you put spikes under it to go through the carpet...
post #815 of 858 Old 10-28-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
How are those being placed? Are they riding on top of the carpet or hard surface backed?
Riding on top of carpet.

PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #816 of 858 Old 10-28-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Ouch. $6 for one 6"x6" piece of 1/4" MDF? Why didn't you stop by Lowes or Home Depot and have them cut down a piece of scrap?
I went to both Lowes and Home Depot.
At Lowes there saw was broken and Home Depot refused to cut anything that small.
They said it was a safety issue.

PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #817 of 858 Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
6" panels aren't going to make much of a difference. You're spreading what, 5x5 to 6x6 instead? unless you put spikes under it to go through the carpet...
The carpeting is not thick at all.
It's more like indoor/outdoor carpeting.

PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 4
post #818 of 858 Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Quote:
The carpeting is not thick at all.
It's more like indoor/outdoor carpeting.
probably wont even need a piece of wood then, can try it both ways pretty easy
post #819 of 858 Old 10-28-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Likewise, I don't see a need for wood in your case. You might as well try it both ways and measure it but the MA's will actually burrow into the carpet and slowly increase the tactile output as it does.
post #820 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 387
@coolrda : you went from 2 to 4 Crowsons, right?

Did you try 2 in the rear corners, and two in the front corners?

You recommend all 4 along the rear?

Dual Atmos Receivers
Atmos 9.1.8/DTS:X 7.1.4/AURO 3D 12.1

My setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wha...l#post41323201
post #821 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3543 Post(s)
Liked: 3511
Mine will be here on 11/4. I'm going no wood. I have commercial carpeting on padding. Should be ok. I hope
post #822 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
@coolrda : you went from 2 to 4 Crowsons, right?

Did you try 2 in the rear corners, and two in the front corners?

You recommend all 4 along the rear?
Yes, yes and yes.

Here's a further explanation. When I did all the seat and floor testing, I had an individual single seat unlocked. I initially planned on 5 tests, with MA's configured with 1(rear foot), 2(both rear feet), 4(all feet), dual array(2x each rear foot, side by side, 4 total) and stacked array(2x vertically stacked with 1" wood block isolator between them). With so much to test I only got half way through these tests. I never even measured the 4(all feet) configuration. I tried it for about 10 minutes with a few clips and preferred the rear only. While this is subjective only, they are pretty spot on to measured. This will all be tested thoroughly in the coming months. Ive never heard anyone going dual array or stacked array, but I gotta know what that measures and feels like.

How did it feel? With a MA at each foot it felt like a mini D-Box. This was with them sitting on carpet/pad. Think of it as intense but mostly single axis. What I've found is that even when your peak PSD is the same, 2 close or equal axes response is far more tactile than 1. With MA's in the rear only, you have a throw arc(tilt/hinge effect)even if it 1/1000 of a degree. I believe this excites the Y axis(frontback)to match and even exceed the Z axis(up/down). The other thing that comes into play is weight. Crowson says these are rated for 1000lbs but recommends 250lbs per MA. More MA's lower the ratio and it makes sense that increases TR as acceleration should increase. I'll have to measure that. What I do know is my seating is completely saturated setup as it is. All seats feel the same intensity and that's regardless if we're reclined or our feet are touching the ground. My recommendation is four along the back of a couch even if you need to add feet or build up a platform.
VideoGrabber and SBuger like this.
post #823 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Has anyone tried the new sorbathane isolators? Are they a significant uptake over the originals? At $35 each, I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #824 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Yes, yes and yes.

Here's a further explanation. When I did all the seat and floor testing, I had an individual single seat unlocked. I initially planned on 5 tests, with MA's configured with 1(rear foot), 2(both rear feet), 4(all feet), dual array(2x each rear foot, side by side, 4 total) and stacked array(2x vertically stacked with 1" wood block isolator between them). With so much to test I only got half way through these tests. I never even measured the 4(all feet) configuration. I tried it for about 10 minutes with a few clips and preferred the rear only. While this is subjective only, they are pretty spot on to measured. This will all be tested thoroughly in the coming months. Ive never heard anyone going dual array or stacked array, but I gotta know what that measures and feels like.

How did it feel? With a MA at each foot it felt like a mini D-Box. This was with them sitting on carpet/pad. Think of it as intense but mostly single axis. What I've found is that even when your peak PSD is the same, 2 close or equal axes response is far more tactile than 1. With MA's in the rear only, you have a throw arc(tilt/hinge effect)even if it 1/1000 of a degree. I believe this excites the Y axis(frontback)to match and even exceed the Z axis(up/down). The other thing that comes into play is weight. Crowson says these are rated for 1000lbs but recommends 250lbs per MA. More MA's lower the ratio and it makes sense that increases TR as acceleration should increase. I'll have to measure that. What I do know is my seating is completely saturated setup as it is. All seats feel the same intensity and that's regardless if we're reclined or our feet are touching the ground. My recommendation is four along the back of a couch even if you need to add feet or build up a platform.
Great info as always!

That's one of the things that I meant to ask you over in your VS thread about reclined vs not reclined. I was wondering if you got less TR reclined like I think @carp was saying he experiences with his HT chairs (but I think he runs only one iirc and that may make somewhat of a difference).

This has me a bit concerned about my future purchase of some new home theater chairs (still will probably be better than my couch). Brand and differences in build, even if minor may play a major role in the amount TR and the overall feel that the Crowsons provide.
post #825 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2289 Post(s)
Liked: 1651
I have a few issues with my chair. I get a lot more feel in the arms of the chairs and yes, I get more feel when sitting upright then when reclined. Also with the feet up I feel more (too much) in the legs/feet. On top of all that, we just got new carpet with a real nice thick pad. Love it, but not for the Crowsons! I'll figure it all out eventually, but I think it will take more than 1 Crowson.
post #826 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Has anyone tried the new sorbathane isolators? Are they a significant uptake over the originals? At $35 each, I hope so.

Here's some info.

New Isolator Pics

My Take
post #827 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, yes and yes.

Thanks, that all make sense, and that was what i was thinking too. With one MA in each four corner, you get a Z "concentrated" movement, while with them in the rear, you get the tilt effect you speak of, that goes in several directions.

My couch consists of a interlocking right seat, a center section and a left seat. I made a wood frame to connect them all, and have one MA in each rear outer corner of that frame.
I LOVE the two Crowson's i have already, however i have two problems in really heavy scenes, like the famous deleted scene from Jurassic World, or choppers in Lone Survivor:
1. My amp goes in protect mode.
2. The thermal protection in the MA's gets triggered.

So if i get two more MA's, and mount them either in each front outer corner, or the rear inner corners of each seat, I get more headroom, AND more effective TR.

You read me?

Dual Atmos Receivers

My setup:
post #828 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Thanks, that all make sense, and that was what i was thinking too. With one MA in each four corner, you get a Z "concentrated" movement, while with them in the rear, you get the tilt effect you speak of, that goes in several directions.

My couch consists of a interlocking right seat, a center section and a left seat. I made a wood frame to connect them all, and have one MA in each rear outer corner of that frame.
I LOVE the two Crowson's i have already, however i have two problems in really heavy scenes, like the famous deleted scene from Jurassic World, or choppers in Lone Survivor:
1. My amp goes in protect mode.
2. The thermal protection in the MA's gets triggered.

So if i get two more MA's, and mount them either in each front outer corner, or the rear inner corners of each seat, I get more headroom, AND more effective TR.

You read me?
Yep. That's my recommendation. 4x takes you to a new level. My well doc'd issues are gone with 4. Less distortion, no bottoming, the MA's run cooler. It's just performs much better when run along side the systems we use here. With 4, you'll have the single digit headroom and power to keep up.
post #829 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Great info as always!

That's one of the things that I meant to ask you over in your VS thread about reclined vs not reclined. I was wondering if you got less TR reclined like I think @carp was saying he experiences with his HT chairs (but I think he runs only one iirc and that may make somewhat of a difference).

This has me a bit concerned about my future purchase of some new home theater chairs (still will probably be better than my couch). Brand and differences in build, even if minor may play a major role in the amount TR and the overall feel that the Crowsons provide.
Thanks. Don't grip over HT seating. Most of the stuff today is built well. Look for something comfortable and aesthetically pleasing in the $3k/4 seats or abouts and your good. I think it's more about the ratio of 2 armrests per single seat cushion that runs the TR up.
post #830 of 858 Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Here's some info.

New Isolator Pics

My Take

Thanks. They do appear to offer significant benefits, good to know

post #831 of 858 Old 10-30-2016, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yep. That's my recommendation. 4x takes you to a new level. My well doc'd issues are gone with 4. Less distortion, no bottoming, the MA's run cooler. It's just performs much better when run along side the systems we use here. With 4, you'll have the single digit headroom and power to keep up.
Word !

And yes, the MA's are absolutely most impressive in the single digits.

Now, where was my Crowsontech shopping cart again........

Dual Atmos Receivers

My setup:
post #832 of 858 Old 10-30-2016, 05:41 AM

well IM hoping one does the job in my small HT with way seat the most important.....if not it goes back...not spending 2k on these things lol
post #833 of 858 Old 11-05-2016, 07:44 AM

all hooked up and installed

as if this second feels very similar to a buttkicker...need to dial it in.

anyone have any recommended settings on an inuke for one?
post #834 of 858 Old 11-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 4000
Turn it down, cross at 40hz and calibrate delay so the timing is right.

From there, adjust level and/or lowpass filter.

Enjoy!
post #835 of 858 Old 11-05-2016, 02:20 PM

already had it at 40hz...now time to dial in the level really...already feels better than the buttkicker

still some tweaking needed

but pretty impressed
post #836 of 858 Old 11-06-2016, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thumbs up

Quote:
With a MA at each foot it felt like a mini D-Box. This was with them sitting on carpet/pad. Think of it as intense but mostly single axis.
That's not surprising, and actually what one would expect, as long as the MA's were running in sync. (running front & back pairs out of phase would convert some of the motion to the transverse axis. y, in this case.)

Quote:
What I've found is that even when your peak PSD is the same, 2 close or equal axes response is far more tactile than 1.
This is something I'm really interested in hearing about (your subjective opinions).

Quote:
With MA's in the rear only, you have a throw arc(tilt/hinge effect)even if it 1/1000 of a degree. I believe this excites the Y axis(frontback) to match and even exceed the Z axis(up/down).
It makes sense that it would. Is is easier for you to rock a row of seats, or lift one end straight up?

Quote:
The other thing that comes into play is weight. Crowson says these are rated for 1000lbs but recommends 250lbs per MA. More MA's lower the ratio and it makes sense that increases TR as acceleration should increase. I'll have to measure that.
I'm sure you'll find that as the weight is increased an MA becomes less effective. Simple mass/energy relationship. So the converse would also be true. Fewer pounds of load/unit = larger displacement, or shorter time to reach a given displacement (=acceleration).

Quote:
What I do know is my seating is completely saturated setup as it is.
Couldn't hold it, eh? A new Reference Standard (it was SO good I pee'd myself.)

Quote:
All seats feel the same intensity and that's regardless if we're reclined or our feet are touching the ground. My recommendation is four along the back of a couch even if you need to add feet or build up a platform.
Well you DO have them distributed pretty uniformly, and plenty of 'em! Very intriguing report.
coolrda likes this.
post #837 of 858 Old 11-07-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Turn it down, cross at 40hz and calibrate delay so the timing is right.

From there, adjust level and/or lowpass filter.

Enjoy!
so update....increased LPF to 45hz...and fiddled with levels...watched 13 hours last night.

yup thing is WAY better than a buttkicker....a BK you could feel the piston shaking the couch..not this...it just moves the couch as bass would. great addition...and for my 3 seat loveseat HT seating...one is PLENTY

this is as close the feeling I had when my HT was on a suspended floor as you can get to actually being on one (im now on concrete slab)

good stuff....worth the price of admission
post #838 of 858 Old 11-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 4000
post #839 of 858 Old 11-07-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
so update....increased LPF to 45hz...and fiddled with levels...watched 13 hours last night.

yup thing is WAY better than a buttkicker....a BK you could feel the piston shaking the couch..not this...it just moves the couch as bass would. great addition...and for my 3 seat loveseat HT seating...one is PLENTY

this is as close the feeling I had when my HT was on a suspended floor as you can get to actually being on one (im now on concrete slab)

good stuff....worth the price of admission
TT's certainly help in a basement. The wife booted me out of the upstair and there is a big difference in feel.
post #840 of 858 Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Good. Now get another one.
http://youtu.be/byEGjLU2egA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers