6Likes

post #181 of 374 Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Nice! What amp are you using, how many transducers per seat?

Am using the Crowson D500 amp and I have 4 transducers under a 4 seater HT lounge configured so 3 of them are along the back and one at the front - ie. 1st one between chair 1 and chair 2 at back, 2nd one between chair 2 and chair 3 at back, 3rd one between chair 3 and chair 4 at back, 4th at front between chair 2 and chair 3. So like this . : .

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 374 Old 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I felt there was more to be had with my set up and I was right. I previously had a Samson sx1200 with one transducer and that was enough to get me in the game. I was getting a nice amount of ulf sensation but the amp would clip relatively easy and it was hard to tell if it was strictly the amp or if the transducer was crapping out as the clipped signal would almost mimic bottoming. I went all in got the Crowson D500 amp and 3 more transducers. First of all, that little amp is the real deal and not wasting any space on the inside with a massive toroidal transformer. I wired everything up and put on WOTW, TIH, FOTP, F'n Irene. No clipping, amp barely gets warm and cruising through every passage with ease. Out of curiosity (JapanDave inspired) I kept all levels the same and went from one transducer per seat to 2. At that point it then felt ridiculously tactile and everything on the ulf front jumped up considerably. I'm already at more than I could hope for with no signs of distress from the amp or transducers. I'm a happy camper. I can now list my original buttkickers (the original big boys) as I won't be missing them anymore.
post #183 of 374 Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

One portion of my seating before

After
post #184 of 374 Old 02-09-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I did the same with my other two seats so instead of the transducer resting on a portion of the metal frame, the energy gets distributed nice and evenly over a larger surface area.
post #185 of 374 Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Well I guess I can thank Crowson for saving me $1,200 bucks. I was ready to order a pair of these from them and after about ten phone calls on multiple days with no answer, I said piss on it. If they are that tough to get a hold of when trying to spend money with them; I can only imagine how non existent their customer service must be. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #186 of 374 Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Well I guess I can thank Crowson for saving me $1,200 bucks. I was ready to order a pair of these from them and after about ten phone calls on multiple days with no answer, I said piss on it. If they are that tough to get a hold of when trying to spend money with them; I can only imagine how non existent their customer service must be. cool.gif

I think it's a one man show, not positive though. I too tried over a couple weeks to get an answer and finally did. Randall was VERY helpful and we talked for probably 20 minutes and the product is well worth the wait to me. I understand your frustration for sure though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #187 of 374 Old 02-14-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I think it's a one man show, not positive though. I too tried over a couple weeks to get an answer and finally did. Randall was VERY helpful and we talked for probably 20 minutes and the product is well worth the wait to me. I understand your frustration for sure though.

A) I'm a spur of the moment kind of guy. smile.gif

B) I can understand having busy days, but I've literally called four or five times a day for probably a week. That's just a poor business model. How many people go another direction because they can't get a hold of anyone. I don't need to beg anyone to take my money. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #188 of 374 Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A) I'm a spur of the moment kind of guy. smile.gif

B) I can understand having busy days, but I've literally called four or five times a day for probably a week. That's just a poor business model. How many people go another direction because they can't get a hold of anyone. I don't need to beg anyone to take my money. smile.gif

Yep, I don't blame you. You could order online but then you miss the 10 percent avs discount.

post #189 of 374 Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

That is disappointing. I gotta response in less than 24 hours after leaving a voicemail.
post #190 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Email worked fine for me. I got a reply with-in 24 hours.

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #191 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I used email too and got a reply within 24 minutes.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #192 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

I used email too and got a reply within 24 minutes.

I hate using email. I had a few questions and prefer to talk with someone as opposed to going back and forth twenty times. cool.gif

I guess I'll give it a try and see if I can put something together before totally running out of patience. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #193 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Do a combo, email and tell them to call you smile.gif
post #194 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do a combo, email and tell them to call you smile.gif

I did. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #195 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, they're worth the pursuit. I really missed the tactile feel I had from my previous dedicated theater. I had a lot of displacement in an enclosed room. Now I'm in an open living room and these in combination with my subs provide exactly the feel that I missed and do so seamlessly. Hopefully it works out that you get to sample for yourself.
craig john likes this.
post #196 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Some products are worth the journey to acquire them.....Crowsons fit the bill.
craig john and Bunga99 like this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #197 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Some products are worth the journey to acquire them.....Crowsons fit the bill.
+1

There are several things that, in my theater, go beyond "worth the journey" and are virtually, IMO, "irreplaceable":

Seymour AT screen

Triad Platinum LCR/Silver Monitor speakers

Seaton Submersive subs

Acoustic Room Treatments

Audyssey XT32

Crowson Tactile Transducers...

I've experienced everything from cheap transducers to D-Box systems. IMO, the Crowsons offer the *best* of all those systems. It is possible to get more shaking, (Buttkickers), and "more" physical movement, (D-Box), but there is no system that offers more *realistic* tactile feedback than the Crowsons... at least in my experience.

I have never had any problem reaching Randy Crowson. And whenever I've had a problem with a transducer, he's been VERY helpful getting the problem resolved. Customer Service is, IME, just not a problem.

Craig
Bunga99 likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #198 of 374 Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Are all of you on Crowsons payroll? biggrin.gif

Craig, you named off your entire theater as being worth the journey lol.

I sold my buttkicker system a while back as I could just never get it to integrate properly. It always felt "fake" to me which ruins the experience. I gave up on transducers and replaced them with 8 18's. Well being that my first row is on concrete, I'm still missing the tactile feel. I'm really hoping these are all they've been talked up to be.

Achievement Unlocked

post #199 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

+1

There are several things that, in my theater, go beyond "worth the journey" and are virtually, IMO, "irreplaceable":

Seymour AT screen

Triad Platinum LCR/Silver Monitor speakers

Seaton Submersive subs

Acoustic Room Treatments

Audyssey XT32

Crowson Tactile Transducers...
Not to dispute the quality of your theater, but a few things on that list dose not impress me. ie, I have had them and was impressed at the time, only to find better, particularly Audyssey.

Crowson's, however are the best I have found in the Tactile Transducer market.

post #200 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I originally called the phone lines just doing my usual research and eventually emailed with a fairly quick response from Randall. We talked several times via email and phone before and after I made my purchase.

As it has been said I feel this product offered one of the biggest improvements to my setup over the last few years so much so that I am getting 2 more for the added seats on a riser.
post #201 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Not to dispute the quality of your theater, but a few things on that list dose not impress me. ie, I have had them and was impressed at the time, only to find better, particularly Audyssey.

Ordinarily I would agree with you about xt32. I did not like it in my room with compression drivers and I haven't liked it in many other rooms I've been in. However, in Craig's room with his speakers and room treatments Audyssey sounded fantastic! His is the only room where I have felt this way.

I'm not sure if it's the room treatements, the Triad Platinums, or a combination of both (probably the combo) but Craig has the best sounding room I have ever been in both for movies and music.

post #202 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am on the East Coast and Crowson is located on the West Coast. I had the most luck reaching Randolph over the phone after 3pm EST. He also has answered all of my emails with thoughtful responses. I agree with the others here and will say that the Crowsons will always have a place in my little HT. They add a lot to the HT experience and, to me, feel very realistic.

post #203 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ordinarily I would agree with you about xt32. I did not like it in my room with compression drivers and I haven't liked it in many other rooms I've been in. However, in Craig's room with his speakers and room treatments Audyssey sounded fantastic! His is the only room where I have felt this way.

I'm not sure if it's the room treatements, the Triad Platinums, or a combination of both (probably the combo) but Craig has the best sounding room I have ever been in both for movies and music.
So Carp what do you use to eq your speakers?
post #204 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are you using for eq correction? I ask as I'm always looking for improvements and I'd tend to agree that Audyssey is either a hero or zero depending on speakers and room.

Achievement Unlocked

post #205 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have tried Audyssey with many different combinations of speakers and with the speakers I currently have (My mains are these ) and compared to what I am using now for room eq, Audyssey just sounds flat, to put a word to it. When I had only heard Audyssey, that was not my opinion however.

I probably should not have commented on Audyssey in this thread , so sorry for the derail.

Quote:

What are you using for eq correction? I ask as I'm always looking for improvements and I'd tend to agree that Audyssey is either a hero or zero depending on speakers and room.
I use Dirac Live.

post #206 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use Dirac Live.

But it's one channel short. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #207 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But it's one channel short. cool.gif
16 channels is what it is capable of EQ'ing. Where is the one channel short come from?

post #208 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

16 channels is what it is capable of EQ'ing. Where is the one channel short come from?

Hmmm, just glanced through the program real quick and saw 8 channels. Should read closer I guess. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

post #209 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So Carp what do you use to eq your speakers?

Nothing right now. I have a pretty good response right now but I am curious how ARC would do and I've heard a Trinnov setup. I've read quite a few times that eqing above 250 hz or so is bad anyway so who knows.

post #210 of 374 Old 02-16-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave, your gear is so nice cool.gif - I hope you don't feel like you are slumming it with us. smile.gif

I'm glad you are though, because your recommendation along with Craig's long standing comments about the Crowson's pushed me over the edge.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page