subwoofer won't work anymore? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So yesterday I hooked my new home theatre system with my sub and everything sounded fine, I would just turn up the volume and hear the sub bass disctinctively so after couple of hours I turned everything off including the sub...

Today I turned the power on to listen some music again and first i forgot to turn on the sub so i turned it on while the amp was on and still didn't hear any bass from it... I tried to tweak the settings from the amp (dolby surround, etc.), I've redone the autocalibration sound test (mcacc with the included microphone) and it seems that the bass still comes from the floorstanding rf82 and not from the sub with music ... tried to up the volume behind the sub too but it doesn't change anything

when trying to check if it was plugged correctly i actually unplugged and plugged back the rca cable with amp power on and heard a not so big "boom" sound, could it be that it damaged my sub? when i actually do the mcacc test the sub seems to work great too so i doubt it was damaged... could it be just the crossover frequency? it was autoset to 80hz in my amp from mcacc

The sub is plugged on my amp "preout sub 1" to the lfe behind the sub

Here's my setup:
Amp: Pioneer 1227svk
Sub: Klipsch sw112
Front: Klipsch rf82
Center: klipsch rc62
Surround: Polk rti4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlu View Post

So yesterday I hooked my new home theatre system with my sub and everything sounded fine, I would just turn up the volume and hear the sub bass disctinctively so after couple of hours I turned everything off including the sub...

Today I turned the power on to listen some music again and first i forgot to turn on the sub so i turned it on while the amp was on and still didn't hear any bass from it... I tried to tweak the settings from the amp (dolby surround, etc.), I've redone the autocalibration sound test (mcacc with the included microphone) and it seems that the bass still comes from the floorstanding rf82 and not from the sub with music ... tried to up the volume behind the sub too but it doesn't change anything

when trying to check if it was plugged correctly i actually unplugged and plugged back the rca cable with amp power on and heard a not so big "boom" sound, could it be that it damaged my sub? when i actually do the mcacc test the sub seems to work great too so i doubt it was damaged... could it be just the crossover frequency? it was autoset to 80hz in my amp from mcacc

The sub is plugged on my amp "preout sub 1" to the lfe behind the sub

Here's my setup:
Amp: Pioneer 1227svk
Sub: Klipsch sw112
Front: Klipsch rf82
Center: klipsch rc62
Surround: Polk rti4

Try setting your main speakers to small or switch from stereo to one of your surround modes.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
ok well I did autocalibration again allowing THX and set my surround speaker to small, center to small and front is still set to large and it seems to work nice again... weird rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlu View Post

ok well I did autocalibration again allowing THX and set my surround speaker to small, center to small and front is still set to large and it seems to work nice again... weird rolleyes.gif

Soooo why do you have everything except your L/R speakers (2/3 of your frontstage) set to large? Might as well just set the center to large than lol. I'd say try both settings and see what you like.

Reread your thing. If you set both of your L/R to large and you were listening in stereo instead of PL2X music. Than nothing should be coming from the subwoofer. Try setting them to small and see how you like it. By the way turn everything off before you go unplugging and plugging things in!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Setting your front speakers to large will cause the sub to not run on anything other than digital formats. I strongly suggest setting all speakers to small. In fact, I found that both by ear and by measurement the sound is better with all speakers set to small no matter what the source.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Setting your front speakers to large will cause the sub to not run on anything other than digital formats. I strongly suggest setting all speakers to small. In fact, I found that both by ear and by measurement the sound is better with all speakers set to small no matter what the source.

The sub would also play the LFE channel of analog-connected multichannel.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch , Subwoofers , Pioneer , Klipsch Sw 112 Reference Series Powered Subwoofer Black , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Klipsch Surround Speaker Rs 62 , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers Pair Black , Speaker Systems