SVS PB12-NSD vs Polk PSW505 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
slick7108514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is a silly comparison, but I thought I would post for anyone that may be interested in this comparison. I've only had the SVS for a day, but my initial impression is different than expected. Rather than sounding louder, the SVS actually seems quieter. I think because the Polk was much more "boomy." Rather than hearing the bass, I feel it more now. I haven't experienced that complete blown away factor yet, but I can tell you I have a serious headache after listening to the SVS for a couple of hours. Never experienced that with the Polk. I will take that as a sign that the SVS is creating a higher SPL.

I've been so used to associating bass with boomy noises, I just expected much more of the same. I almost don't even hear the SVS, just feel it. I hope this helps anyone interested in this comparison.

slick7108514 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
UofAZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I used to own the Polk505 and now have a SVS NSD 12/2 the difference I noticed was that boomy noise was actually distortion while the SVS was more quiet it actually was producing no distortion and you actually felt the bass instead of hearing the distortion of lower frequencies that the Polk couldn't produce properly. In my system I added four mid bass subs (40-80Hz) for overall mid bass punch while my SVS only handles all bass below 40Hz so I get that tight well controlled bass you hear and the SVS is handling all the bass you can feel (my awkward room required the MBM's otherwise in most rooms the SVS would be more than enough.

In time you'll learn to love the SVS and when you go to showrooms and hear boominess you'll smile knowing people are paying for distortion while your enjoying tight bass the way it should be.
UofAZ1 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
slick7108514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the more I listen, the more I will like the SVS. It will just take some time getting used to not hearing what I used to think was bass. What are you using for your midbass? HSU?

Unfortunately, my couch is almost directly in the middle of room, with a large opening for the dining room right behind the couch. My wife will not allow for different placement, so I'm stuck with my less than optimal listening position. I have noticed the bass sounds louder near the walls.

slick7108514 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
UofAZ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Slick I use two DefTech Supercube 1's and two DefTech Prosub 1000's as my mid bass subs 40-80Hz. I found def tech was not too good for deep frequency extension but were very quick, tight and loud for mid bass sound. So with four mid bass subs and my SVS handling everything below 40Hz I get very clean (and very loud) mid bass and deep bass in my main HT.

If I could afford it my dream system would be seven SVS PB-13's ( for each channel) and an Infinate Baffle sub for the "Main Subs" granted my woman would leave me and my dogs would cower Everytime I put on a movie but hey sacrifices would have to be made. :-)
UofAZ1 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 5,406
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
It will just take some time getting used to not hearing what I used to think was bass.
Sometimes, less (noise) is more. wink.gif Congrats on the new sub! smile.gif
Quote:
Unfortunately, my couch is almost directly in the middle of room, with a large opening for the dining room right behind the couch. My wife will not allow for different placement, so I'm stuck with my less than optimal listening position.
Is the location of the sub fixed, and have you done a sub crawl? If the answer to both those questions is 'no', do a crawl to see if there's one or more spots that offer better response at the listening position than does the current spot, and then put the sub in whichever location gets the WAF nod. smile.gif
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7108514 View Post

I know this is a silly comparison, but I thought I would post for anyone that may be interested in this comparison. I've only had the SVS for a day, but my initial impression is different than expected. Rather than sounding louder, the SVS actually seems quieter. I think because the Polk was much more "boomy." Rather than hearing the bass, I feel it more now. I haven't experienced that complete blown away factor yet, but I can tell you I have a serious headache after listening to the SVS for a couple of hours. Never experienced that with the Polk. I will take that as a sign that the SVS is creating a higher SPL.

I've been so used to associating bass with boomy noises, I just expected much more of the same. I almost don't even hear the SVS, just feel it. I hope this helps anyone interested in this comparison.

The quasi-anechoic FR of both subs is drastically different - so I'm not surprised you also subjectively find the two subs quite different. The PSW505 will emphasize the 50-70 Hz band and will underrepresent the 18-36 Hz octave - whereas the PB12-NSD is essentially flat over the entire 20-80 Hz bandwidth. So if you have become accustomed to hearing the PSW505 FR, changing to the PB12-NSD will require an adjustment period, and your initial impression may be 'where did the mid-bass go'. After your ears acclimate I'm sure you'll find the bass presentation from the PB12-NSD to be more accurate sounding and less fatiguing.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off