Klipsch RW-12D - Auto On Feature - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Klipsch RW-12D - Auto On Feature

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

cchunter's Avatar cchunter
05:24 PM Liked: 559
post #91 of 134
04-27-2013 | Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

Well, it would make a difference to me basically because if you plan on selling the Klipsch to help pay for the SVS PB13, and the auto/standby feature doesn't
work, it will not help with the resale value.

vardo
I paid 279 for it brand new. That wont even cover the tax on a Ultra 13 lol. I've had this conversation about this before. Ok so it doesnt go into standby does it make much of a difference really? IMO no it does not. It doesnt effect the quality of sound or how it performs. Even if its not being used its not using any power it just doesnt say standby. I have noticed no increase whatsoever in my electric bill.
hockman4357's Avatar hockman4357
05:40 PM Liked: 11
post #92 of 134
04-27-2013 | Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhaugen View Post

For those of you who's subs are not going into standby mode, have you tried any of the different sound modes? For instance, my sub will go into standby if it's in flat mode, but will not if it's in either punch or depth.
Well, I experimented with this today and mine too goes into "standby" every time as long as I have the sound mode set to flat. Mission accomplished. I really don't see any drawback having the sub set to flat, so I am a happy camper!
vardo's Avatar vardo
06:27 PM Liked: 18
post #93 of 134
04-27-2013 | Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I paid 279 for it brand new. That wont even cover the tax on a Ultra 13 lol. I've had this conversation about this before. Ok so it doesnt go into standby does it make much of a difference really? IMO no it does not. It doesnt effect the quality of sound or how it performs. Even if its not being used its not using any power it just doesnt say standby. I have noticed no increase whatsoever in my electric bill.

You certainly have a point there! I've have an "old" Velodyne ULD-12 thats been plugged in (on) since 1994 (after the Northridge Earthquake in Calif,)
and like you, have not noticed an increase in the electric bill (except the usual inflation). It's in a stereo only listening room (not the home theater) and I listen to music
maybe twice a week. Never a problem with the sub....works as good as the day I bought it.

vardo
brhaugen's Avatar brhaugen
11:32 AM Liked: 10
post #94 of 134
04-28-2013 | Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockman4357 View Post

Well, I experimented with this today and mine too goes into "standby" every time as long as I have the sound mode set to flat. Mission accomplished. I really don't see any drawback having the sub set to flat, so I am a happy camper!

I'm glad that worked for you. It's not perfect, but it's something. It took me a little while to figure that out. When I first got my sub, I noticed it was going into standby. As I started to play with the settings a little, it stopped. Then it was a matter of going through the settings one by one trying to figure out which caused it to stop going into standby.
LastButNotLeast's Avatar LastButNotLeast
08:26 PM Liked: 288
post #95 of 134
04-28-2013 | Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockman4357 View Post

There is very little difference:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs

indio22's Avatar indio22
10:44 PM Liked: 37
post #96 of 134
04-30-2013 | Posts: 397
Quote:

For those of you who's subs are not going into standby mode, have you tried any of the different sound modes? For instance, my sub will go into standby if it's in flat mode, but will not if it's in either punch or depth.

On some subs, standby mode is a gimmick in terms of electricity usage. The subs draw the same power in so called standby as when switched on. I am using this smart power strip with my "always on" BIC F12:

http://www.amazon.com/ZuniDigital-ZG7000B-15-Outlet-Digital-Protector/dp/B003YH9DWC/ref=pd_sim_e_1

My Denon AVR-1712 is plugged into the master outlet. Sub is plugged into one of the switched slave outlets. Power is cut to the sub whenever the receiver is turned off. This eliminates the 24/7 power draw of the sub. Using excess power in standby mode is poor design, given that some other greener products manage less than 1 watt in standby modes. There are consequences to excess electricity usage, especially in populations of such devices, it is well documented. Hence the push to reduce wasteful standby power usage. A smart strip such as the one mentioned is one way to address the problem.
highdefav1's Avatar highdefav1
07:26 AM Liked: 20
post #97 of 134
05-01-2013 | Posts: 247
Quote:

Thought I would report my findings after reading brhaugen's post. The sound mode I've been using has been depth. Once I switched it to flat and waited, guess what, it went into standby mode, as evident by Standby on the LCD screen.

I have noticed when I turn the unit off completely, the metal plate where the power plug goes into the sub is cooler after a while of sitting off. When it's on and was in depth mode (not going into standby mode), it was warmer, not even warm enough to worry about, but not cool like it was when it was completely off.

After leaving it in standby mode all night, I felt the metal plate and it felt the same as is did when it was in depth mode (non-standby). So does it really go into standby when all your components are off even though it doesn't say standby? Who knows, maybe. But you have to wonder what it is about the settings and why it goes into standby on flat but not on others. Obviously Klipsch doesn't know either or the rep would have asked if it was in flat mode.

I'll give flat mode a chance and see how it sounds.
caloyzki's Avatar caloyzki
07:40 AM Liked: 46
post #98 of 134
05-01-2013 | Posts: 2,160
how you guys sets this sub before running the audysey?
08:43 AM Liked: 288
post #99 of 134
05-01-2013 | Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

I'll give flat mode a chance and see how it sounds.

Pretty much the same:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs

05:53 PM Liked: 559
post #100 of 134
05-01-2013 | Posts: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

how you guys sets this sub before running the audysey?
I am using depth mode and my volume is at -23. Low pass is turned off so all bass goes to subwoofer. On my Denon the sub volume is at -1.5. after running audyssey. You want to keep the sub volume on your Denon between +3 and -3 after your done with calibration.
crn3371's Avatar crn3371
06:09 PM Liked: 48
post #101 of 134
05-01-2013 | Posts: 825
Exactly the same settings for me running ypao. I'd say -20 to -23db on sub is a real good starting point.
06:32 PM Liked: 46
post #102 of 134
05-01-2013 | Posts: 2,160
I thot we need to set it to flat before running aud?
06:43 PM Liked: 559
post #103 of 134
05-01-2013 | Posts: 1,451
Quote:

Nah I didnt. My fav mode is depth so I calibrated there. I really dont think it matters what mode you have on when calibrating. Main thing is to have the volume on the sub low. Like I said -23 is where mines at. That will keep your set volume on your Denon between 3 and -3 after calibration. If you end up with +5 then turn your sub volume down and rerun calibration and vice versa if the setting is low then you need to turn up the sub volume.
JDErickson84088's Avatar JDErickson84088
08:54 AM Liked: 11
post #104 of 134
05-02-2013 | Posts: 31
I have 2 RW-12D's.

I set one to depth and 1 to flat and tested Auto-off. Both worked. They are plugged directly into the wall outlet with no power conditioning.
Larry L's Avatar Larry L
11:19 AM Liked: 12
post #105 of 134
05-02-2013 | Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

On some subs, standby mode is a gimmick in terms of electricity usage. The subs draw the same power in so called standby as when switched on. I am using this smart power strip with my "always on" BIC F12:

http://www.amazon.com/ZuniDigital-ZG7000B-15-Outlet-Digital-Protector/dp/B003YH9DWC/ref=pd_sim_e_1

My Denon AVR-1712 is plugged into the master outlet. Sub is plugged into one of the switched slave outlets. Power is cut to the sub whenever the receiver is turned off. This eliminates the 24/7 power draw of the sub. Using excess power in standby mode is poor design, given that some other greener products manage less than 1 watt in standby modes. There are consequences to excess electricity usage, especially in populations of such devices, it is well documented. Hence the push to reduce wasteful standby power usage. A smart strip such as the one mentioned is one way to address the problem.

Interesting product, but one has to wonder how much electric this gimmick device uses while it is in "Standby" waiting for the master device to be turned on and how much additional electricitry it uses waiting for the master device to be turned off.

In addition, one has to look at the global, cradle-to-grave picture to see if a device such as this is really helping the environment and is cost effective. How much energy and materials was used in development, testing, production, manufacturing, adertizing, packaging, shipping, storage, distribution, re-shipping, warehousing, shipping, re-packaging for mail order, shipping, stand-by phantom power for its own electronics, shipping for disposal, and landfill usage at its final resting place. Did it really help the environment, or the manufacure's bottom line?

The most economic means to stop phantom power draw is a simple power strip with an ON/OFF switch.

Also, many AVR units have a switched outlet on the rear panel which serves the same purpose.

But, one also has to wonder how effective is a stand-by state when the unit displays anything on a screen while in "Stand-by". There is obviously power consumed for that display and the electronics to generate the message and other electronics waiting to sense a signal to turn on again. One also needs to understand that an amplifier draws very little power while in a quiesant state of no signal input. However, when initial power-up occurs, there is a large power surge to charge power supply capacitors and such. This is sometimes heard as a thump when applying power.

So, is it an issue if the sub goes into stand-by mode? I think not..

If anyone is worrried about saving the environment by saving electricity, (s)he should not be in the Home Theater hobby using a 300 Watt sub, 1000 Watt Amplifier, 250 Watt TV or projector. One hour of watching a movie (1.55 KW-Hr (minimum)) blows away drawing 1.5 Watts of stand-by phantom power (0.0015 KW-Hr per hour) that may be saved by having the sub go into stand-by mode.
sivadselim's Avatar sivadselim
01:56 PM Liked: 69
post #106 of 134
05-02-2013 | Posts: 16,085
Quote:

Ideally, if you have a way to measure, you would probably want to set it to whatever setting provides the flattest in-room FR, to start, prior to running Audyssey. This may or may not be the FLAT setting. It would depend upon your room's starting FR.
01:58 PM Liked: 46
post #107 of 134
05-02-2013 | Posts: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Ideally, if you have a way to measure, you would probably want to set it to whatever setting provides the flattest in-room FR, to start, prior to running Audyssey. This may or may not be the FLAT setting. It would depend upon your room's starting FR.
What if i only have the aud. Multeq from denon?
02:06 PM Liked: 69
post #108 of 134
05-02-2013 | Posts: 16,085
Quote:

What if i only have the aud. Multeq from denon?
Well, does your AVR allow you to see the equalization that is applied after you run Audyssey? If so, you could run Audyssey with different settings at the sub to compare the low-end equalization that Audyssey applies with each setting. Ideally, you'd want to use the setting at the sub that requires the least amount of low-end equalization from Audyssey.
07:08 AM Liked: 46
post #109 of 134
05-03-2013 | Posts: 2,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Well, does your AVR allow you to see the equalization that is applied after you run Audyssey? If so, you could run Audyssey with different settings at the sub to compare the low-end equalization that Audyssey applies with each setting. Ideally, you'd want to use the setting at the sub that requires the least amount of low-end equalization from Audyssey.
nope. i only have denon 1612 which is a low end denon model.
07:09 AM Liked: 46
post #110 of 134
05-03-2013 | Posts: 2,160
i can confirmed that when my sub set to FLAT mode it will GO to STANDBY, but when i changed it to DEPTH mode. it WONT go to standby.
skidog's Avatar skidog
09:45 AM Liked: 27
post #111 of 134
05-05-2013 | Posts: 205
Yup, I put both of mine to Flat and this morning they both said standby. Seems odd that it would only work when the eq is set to flat.confused.gif
10:52 AM Liked: 69
post #112 of 134
05-05-2013 | Posts: 16,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post

Seems odd that it would only work when the eq is set to flat.confused.gif

Yeah, it does. Maybe there is some inaudible low-end "noise" there when the sub is not in use that the DEPTH setting is raising above a certain threshold.
05:28 PM Liked: 46
post #113 of 134
05-05-2013 | Posts: 2,160
Which equaluzer you guys prefer while watching movies? Flat. Depth or punch?
wader2k's Avatar wader2k
05:44 PM Liked: 14
post #114 of 134
05-05-2013 | Posts: 203
Depth
wvu80's Avatar wvu80
06:24 PM Liked: 102
post #115 of 134
05-05-2013 | Posts: 555
I have mine set to "punch" for no good reason. It goes in and out of Standby every time, no problems. I haven't tried different settings for movies, most of my experimentation has been with music.

I did set all my 5.1 speakers to 80 yesterday and I liked the quality of sound I heard, very full, and I think more bass overall than when Audyssey 2EQ did the settings
05:46 AM Liked: 559
post #116 of 134
05-06-2013 | Posts: 1,451
Quote:

I use Depth for both Music and movies
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458
05:50 AM Liked: 801
post #117 of 134
05-06-2013 | Posts: 8,374
Quote:

Ours is set to flat as the subwoofer system has been calibrated using DSPeaker, Anti-Mode and Audyssey, MultEQ XT.
06:31 AM Liked: 288
post #118 of 134
05-06-2013 | Posts: 4,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Pretty much the same:

highdefav1's Avatar highdefav1
06:19 PM Liked: 20
post #119 of 134
05-06-2013 | Posts: 247
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wader2k View Post

Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I use Depth for both Music and movies

Depth here too!

Although it doesn't go into Standby mode...tongue.gif
wvu80's Avatar wvu80
09:00 PM Liked: 102
post #120 of 134
05-06-2013 | Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

Depth here too!

Although it doesn't go into Standby mode...tongue.gif

In your honor, I will experiment with Depth Mode this coming weekend and report back.

I use Punch mode because I think I read on one of these forums that is what is best for music, brass music in particular. I am shooting for a nice full tuba sound, and I like to hear the crack of tenor and snare drums. I don't know if a sub will help with sharp drum sounds.
Tags: Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread