How big should my subwoofer be? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
8", 10", or 12"? Room 12x15 or somewhere like that. I haven't moved in yet but am preparing. Can a smaller sub be as good as a bigger one? I like to feel things shake like the T-Rex walking in Jurassic Park.

Thanks.

Samsung 51" PN51E450A, Polk Tsi300, Polk CS 2 series ii center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
The guys here will need to know your budget to make the best recommendation but I'd swing with a 12" out of those choices..

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
It's not the diameter of the driver particularly, altho the larger drivers can possibly move more air. The wattage is only so meaningful in terms of the efficiency of the driver. The design as to ported or sealed or opposed etc is another consideration. Direction of driver, downfiring, front firing, opposed. Lots of considerations...and it's the combination,, or execution of all these, that's important.
What is your budget? Placement options (might be hard to know what the room configuration is now but perhaps an idea of cabinet size)? Willingness to go dual subs?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you want to feel things shake, you should probably go with a ported 12". I have a ported 10" and while it provides alot of deep bass, it doesn't shake things off the walls (which is good for me, i'm not a basshead). Elemental designs, SVS, and HSU all offer some pretty powerful, efficient subs in 12" ported options. On the other hand, you may want to go to a 15" if you have the budget.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

It's not the diameter of the driver particularly, altho the larger drivers can possibly move more air. The wattage is only so meaningful in terms of the efficiency of the driver. The design as to ported or sealed or opposed etc is another consideration. Direction of driver, downfiring, front firing, opposed. Lots of considerations...and it's the combination,, or execution of all these, that's important.
What is your budget? Placement options (might be hard to know what the room configuration is now but perhaps an idea of cabinet size)? Willingness to go dual subs?

Thanks. My budget is $300. I read the budget list, just seeing what I should get like a billion other threads on here. I think the placement will just be up front with all the other speakers. I don't think I can do dual subs unless I got two of the daytons. I think I was spoiled by my old mirage S12.

After a while though, I stopped liking my S12. It was great, shook the house, could hear it 20feet+ outside my house but it didn't seem "accurate." I don't really know how to explain it. Maybe that's what you all mean by "punch." LIke if someone gets punched, I expect a strong punch, feeling and sound, not a long boooom. eek.gif

I don't expect anything great for < 300. I keep scouring Craiglist hoping for a $500 one to be cheaper and. I don't know that anything that doesn't get around 20hz will be any good.

Samsung 51" PN51E450A, Polk Tsi300, Polk CS 2 series ii center.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by likemovies View Post

Thanks. My budget is $300. I read the budget list, just seeing what I should get like a billion other threads on here. I think the placement will just be up front with all the other speakers. I don't think I can do dual subs unless I got two of the daytons. I think I was spoiled by my old mirage S12.

After a while though, I stopped liking my S12. It was great, shook the house, could hear it 20feet+ outside my house but it didn't seem "accurate." I don't really know how to explain it. Maybe that's what you all mean by "punch." LIke if someone gets punched, I expect a strong punch, feeling and sound, not a long boooom. eek.gif

I don't expect anything great for < 300. I keep scouring Craiglist hoping for a $500 one to be cheaper and. I don't know that anything that doesn't get around 20hz will be any good.

Right now for $329 HSU is running a sale on this. http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html The shipping is $43 so it would be stretching your budget, but there is also the STF-1 which is a downfiring 8" as opposed the 10" in the STF-2. Also at http://velodyne.com/subwoofers/vx-11.html they are running a sale on the VX-11 where you can get a pair of them for $229. That would give you a pair of 10" subs well within your budget.

Cliff
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
From what I have read about the s12, be aware you probably won't do better than it for $300, and maybe not as good.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 01-13-2013, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:

Much of what you're experiencing, or what it is you're lacking can be tied to a subwoofer system that's not properly integrated into your room's acoustics. Before doing any upgrades, if your subs are in good working order, my first suggestion would be to make sure your subs are properly integrated and tested for; dial dem puppies in.

In my opinion, an upgrade path should include a bench period where the individual takes the time to get the best out of what they have so when they have better, they'll be able to get the best out of what they upgrade to. If one doesn't take the time to educate themselves as to the integration of their subs into the room's acoustics, the same conditions that plagued their lesser subs, will plague their much more capable replacement subs.

Just saying.

My subwoofer sonic upgrade path below:

Currently, I'm waiting on the arrival of replacement drivers and passive radiators to upgrade our currents pair of 12" subwoofers. I'll use the same box and amplifier. It's not ideal but makes for a good home based, lab experience.

Prior to the above, I picked up a DSPeaker, Anti-Mode, 8033S II and some room measuring gear, downloaded and learned how to use a copy of REW to do room frequency sweeps with.

From here, once the replacement drivers/radiators have about fifty hours of play time on them to loosen them up, I'll dial the system in, play with a pseudo sound panel (love seat cushion being held and moved about the room) to see the cause and affect/benefit, all in the name of educating me to our personal acoustical space. After all other financial commitments are met, then and only then will I upgrade the subwoofer system as I'll be better prepared to try and get the best out of the replacement subs. In my opinion, at the least, it's all about properly integrating a pair of subwoofers into the acoustical listening environment. Sans doing this, for the most part, one is wishing-and-a-hoping.

AC/DC;"Long way to the top if you want to Rock-n-Roll"

And when you get there you can sing for all to hear:

Kiss: "New York Groove."

...............wink.gif

-
likemovies likes this.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25 View Post

Right now for $329 HSU is running a sale on this. http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html The shipping is $43 so it would be stretching your budget, but there is also the STF-1 which is a downfiring 8" as opposed the 10" in the STF-2. Also at http://velodyne.com/subwoofers/vx-11.html they are running a sale on the VX-11 where you can get a pair of them for $229. That would give you a pair of 10" subs well within your budget.
While the stf 1 and 2 are ok for music in a small room they will provide no punch unless maybe in a 4x4x4 closet. If you are looking for accuracy and punch for $300 keep looking for something used.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

From what I have read about the s12, be aware you probably won't do better than it for $300, and maybe not as good.
+1

Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
NVM, it seems you have a more realistic grasp than .your original post.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

While the stf 1 and 2 are ok for music in a small room they will provide no punch unless maybe in a 4x4x4 closet. If you are looking for accuracy and punch for $300 keep looking for something used.

Are you familiar with Lava Subs? I haven't heard them for myself, but I have read some good things about them.

Cliff
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Liked: 29
I can sell one of my Emotiva Ultra 12 for $300 or get two from me for $500. Try beating that smile.gif.

I'm also in Atlanta.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are you familiar with Lava Subs? I haven't heard them for myself, but I have read some good things about them.
No more than you it would seem. Never heard one but read good things. Are you eyeing one in particular?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post

I can sell one of my Emotiva Ultra 12 for $300 or get two from me for $500. Try beating that smile.gif.

I'm also in Atlanta.
2 for $500 is a good deal. I have seen them for $429 new.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you still have the S12? If so I'd keep it, make sure it's setup well and possibly add to it....maybe take quattrotl up on his offer.

OTOH you still don't say what you did to set it up with your system (you employing room correction or have some sort of bass management? did you try various placements in your room like the sub crawl? etc). Your room has a great effect on the sub, especially a single (and duals help smooth that out).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

The Lava subs are clean sounding budget subs. While they sound great with music and have decent punch for movies IMO, the Klipsch RW12d is a better all around sub at or under $300. I have had experience with both subs BTW.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

So you still have the S12? If so I'd keep it, make sure it's setup well and possibly add to it....maybe take quattrotl up on his offer.

OTOH you still don't say what you did to set it up with your system (you employing room correction or have some sort of bass management? did you try various placements in your room like the sub crawl? etc). Your room has a great effect on the sub, especially a single (and duals help smooth that out).

+1

I would keep the S12 and try to better integrate it. Perhaps you could try to find a second one used on Audiogon. Also the Emotiva Ultra 12 subs are great all around subs with good extension down to 30hz and great midbass punch. I have an Ultra 10 in my bedroom (about 11x15) and its a potent little sub. The Warranties are also 5 years and transferable on Emotiva products.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The Lava subs are clean sounding budget subs. While they sound great with music and have decent punch for movies IMO, the Klipsch RW12d is a better all around sub at or under $300. I have had experience with both subs BTW.

Cool thanks for that info. I personally am not looking for anything new, at least not at the moment, but the Lava 10" fell within the OP's budget which is why I was asking about them. Perhaps the OP should just keep the RW-12D and just do a re-tune then? Unless they are really unhappy with it.

Cliff
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

No more than you it would seem. Never heard one but read good things. Are you eyeing one in particular?

Ahh, ok. Not really eyeing one in particular, but as I noted above the 10" fell within the budget of the OP.

Cliff
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 10
when i shop for something like this, i go to amazon, best buy, etc.. and then narrow my search (subwoofers) then i read a ton of reviews on different brands and compare specs. and pick one that is half or more off. for example: why should i buy a $300 sub, when i can get a $600 sub for $300. i wait for the big/well known brands to go half off or more. and if they have 4-1/2 stars or more.

Yamaha YST-SW315 with QD-Bass (Quatre Dispersion Bass) technology (down-firing but sends it out in 4 different directions) and 20-160Hz freq. range.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW315-10-Inch-Digital-Subwoofer/dp/B00009W8XH/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358118674&sr=1-5&keywords=yamaha+subwoofer

read about the product, read the reviews, and go from there. (think i paid closer to $200 though)
Old 01-13-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You would be far better off going by the recommendations here. Big name subwoofers are rarely very good, and even at half off do not represent the same value you'll get from one of the subwoofers as we typically recommend. I'll put my $549 Outlaw LFM-1EX against anything at Best Buy selling for $1500.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 287

Not the first time this question's been asked:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

You can also go here, and follow your budget:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425179/the-subwoofer-recommendation-by-pricepoint-thread

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post

when i shop for something like this, i go to amazon, best buy, etc.. and then narrow my search (subwoofers) then i read a ton of reviews on different brands and compare specs. and pick one that is half or more off. for example: why should i buy a $300 sub, when i can get a $600 sub for $300. i wait for the big/well known brands to go half off or more. and if they have 4-1/2 stars or more.

Yamaha YST-SW315 with QD-Bass (Quatre Dispersion Bass) technology (down-firing but sends it out in 4 different directions) and 20-160Hz freq. range.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW315-10-Inch-Digital-Subwoofer/dp/B00009W8XH/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358118674&sr=1-5&keywords=yamaha+subwoofer

read about the product, read the reviews, and go from there. (think i paid closer to $200 though)

I'll bet you have no idea what QD Bass means let alone determine if it's actual technology or marketing bullcrap.

That sub is not in the same league as what the OP has now let alone some other subs being mentioned. It only lists on Amazon a FR of 40-140hz, without even specifying a spec let alone the usual +/- 3dB rating; the Yamaha site says it's 20-160hz at -10dB (!); the high cut filter interestingly on the Yamaha site matches up to the Amazon FR spec....but if it's on the internet it must be true when it comes to Amazon, right? That sub selection method isn't going to get you very good results consistently IMHO, Amazon reviews often lump multiple models of a brand together, hard to know what the heck you're reading about sometimes let alone the intelligence level of the reviewers. You have a better shot here by far.

Generally a sub is only worth what you can or are willing to pay for it, not what it's MSRP was...not to knock bargain hunting (the Klipsch RW12D being a good $300 sub but not a good $700-800 sub as it's original MSRPs were).

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1684
Quote:

I'll bet you have no idea what QD Bass means let alone determine if it's actual technology or marketing bullcrap.
I do, and it is marketing bull crap. It works exactly the same as every downfiring sub, as they all have omni-directional radiation.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Quote:

I do, and it is marketing bull crap. It works exactly the same as every downfiring sub, as they all have omni-directional radiation.

Of course you know...