opinion on used sub please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I located a Cerwin Vega Powered Sub 150. i could probably pick it up for 150.00. it has the common hum that those get. the hum can normally be contained with minimal effort. I just cant decide whether to get it or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinobyte View Post

I located a Cerwin Vega Powered Sub 150. i could probably pick it up for 150.00. it has the common hum that those get. the hum can normally be contained with minimal effort. I just cant decide whether to get it or not.

If you can't decide to get it or not, it's because your warning bells are going off, which is your subconscious telling you to beware as there's a mighty good chance this is to be considered a bad deal.

That being said, currently, I'm rebuilding a pair of eighteen year old, 12" subwoofers by replacing both the active driver and the passive radiator. My concern, even though the amplifier is working fine, will the amplifier take a dump on me, negating the financial investment in the process? The point, even if something one already owns, anything used is a crap shoot so consider the money being spent as an exercise in better understanding the laws of probability. Just saying.

Hope the above helps in your decision making process.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
it has the common hum that those get. the hum can normally be contained with minimal effort. I just cant decide whether to get it or not.
What's causing the indecision? The hum, the price or the unknowns that come with buying used? IMO, if you're not certain about the sub, don't buy it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

What's causing the indecision? The hum, the price or the unknowns that come with buying used? IMO, if you're not certain about the sub, don't buy it.

I dont know why i am unsure . the price is about right for that model the hum is a known issue that normally can be resolved. i don't know much about that particular model. I guess to me its an OK deal not a hurry and get in the car deal lol.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:

I dont know why i am unsure .

Which is code for; your mind is telling you to walk away. biggrin.gif

As a species, we survive by listening to what our warning bells are telling us. We didn't survive as a species by ignoring our warning bells. And no, they're not always right but then there's no foul in surviving to live another day. That sort of thing.

As a suggestion, talk to the seller about your concerns as I'm betting you're worried the used sub is either not going sound as good as you hope it will and you're wanting a trial period like one gets when buying new, or you're worried that since it's used, there's a good chance it will take a dump on you and you're wanting some sort of guarantee that if it does take a dump on you during a set period of time, the seller will take the unit back.

In that regard, when one buys used, they takes their chances.

-
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

on a side note i have two 15' Cerwin vega drivers that i could replace that driver with if i ever needed to. and what would the box be worth by itself?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:

on a side note i have two 15' Cerwin vega drivers that i could replace that driver with if i ever needed to. and what would the box be worth by itself?

I see the rub, you already have Cerwin Vega gear. Having extra gear has a way of messing with the purity of warning bells. As to the worth of the box, it depends on the usability of the box. In my case, the amplifier is set in place below the passive radiator so I can't modify the enclosure to fit a new amplifier from Parts-Express.

Here's a link to Parts-Express so you can see some of the subwoofer kits available.

With the above in mind, check out Parts-Express to see what a similar box like yours is worth. To someone who wants/needs the enclosure, if the enclosure is a usable box that, including the grill cover, is in excellent condition, I would say it's worth fifty to seventy-five dollars. In my opinion, now it boils down to the price and availability of a replacement amplifier.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to hold off and wait for something else to come around
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page