Best Options to Replace Blown Paradigm PS-1000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My PS-1000 started honking, so after a little back and forth with Paradigm about repair solutions, I probably need to replace this sub. It was plenty loud for my space, but boomy, a big negative. Anyone have suggestions for replacements? I want to keep the cost down because I plan to build out a theater room soon and am not sure it will move in there. My other speakers are Studio 60's, CC and ADP's all v2, driven by a Pioneer Elite receiver through Crown XLS 202 amps.. Suggestions from local dealers have included Paradigm Monitor 10, Velodyne 3750, Episode Triple 10. Lots of reviews and folks on this forum like like SVS, Rythmic and HSU, but not sure I want to pay return shipping if I don't like them. Having said that if the consensus here is one of those, I'll take the risk. Thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
My PS-1000 started honking ... It was plenty loud for my space, but boomy ... Anyone have suggestions for replacements? I want to keep the cost down ...
Not sure what that translates into in dollars... wink.gif ...but a couple of options are:
- SVS SB-1000 ($499, shipped) - good and relatively inexpensive; and
- SVS SB12-NSD ($649, shipped) - a solid choice if you can spend a little more.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion and quick reply. I see we're kindred 60's fans - hope that's not a bad assumption, 'cause mine are till awesome after 12 years. I notice you have Chase subs...and I see they have a $500 option, altho unpowered. I see they're passive, but that's not an issue as I can reroute my surrounds from one of the Crowns to the Elite. Are you happy with those?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see we're kindred 60's fans - hope that's not a bad assumption, 'cause mine are till awesome after 12 years.
I bought my gently-used 60s almost three years ago (as an upgrade from Monitor 7v4s) and I still enjoy them a lot. Great-sounding speakers! smile.gif
Quote:
I notice you have Chase subs...and I see they have a $500 option, altho unpowered. I see they're passive, but that's not an issue as I can reroute my surrounds from one of the Crowns to the Elite. Are you happy with those?
I'm happy with my ChaseHT subs and the performance they deliver in my HT space. I hesitate to recommend buying from them at this time, however, because the company is currently in a state of "flux".

So:
- what's your budget?
- how big is your room?
- what are your listening preferences (music:movies)?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Its an upstairs loft with 2 half walls open to the rest of the house, plus to complicate things it has cathedral ceilings...layout kind of like a hayloft in a barn...not the best environment. Trying to spend as little as possible, recognizing that big box stores won't have anything that will work. After looking around if I could spend $500 I think that would be good. Likes include vintage rock, jazz and great action flix. Batman Returns currently at the top of the list.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

For ~$500, you might want to consider the SVS PB-1000 ($499, shipped). Based on comments I keep reading about it, it's the SVS PB10-NSD re-born...and that, IMO, is a very good thing. cool.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page