Dual subs in a not so big room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I thought I was set on a pair of Seaton submersives for a 2500 cubic feet family room opening to the kitchen. With more thought afterwards, I really will be using the subs for home theater and will prefer to use the full range floorstands only for music.....so I am slanting toward a pair of the JTR 2400 Captivators passively. Here is the issue, because I can't bring myself to do inwalls/onwall speakers, I want to get floorstanding ones so the wife is moving me to the upstairs den.....which is a 1500-1600 cubic feet room that opens to a large area (2 stories of space where the staircase is). Would having a pair of subs be still a good idea? I want good frequency response for sure but with such a small area it might be overkill/counterproductive with 2 of the JTRs? I am looking to achieve good LFE this time.....feeling the rain on your skin during a downpour scene for example in a movie. Any opinions are welcome and I thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post

Well I thought I was set on a pair of Seaton submersives for a 2500 cubic feet family room opening to the kitchen. With more thought afterwards, I really will be using the subs for home theater and will prefer to use the full range floorstands only for music.....so I am slanting toward a pair of the JTR 2400 Captivators passively. Here is the issue, because I can't bring myself to do inwalls/onwall speakers, I want to get floorstanding ones so the wife is moving me to the upstairs den.....which is a 1500-1600 cubic feet room that opens to a large area (2 stories of space where the staircase is). Would having a pair of subs be still a good idea? I want good frequency response for sure but with such a small area it might be overkill/counterproductive with 2 of the JTRs? I am looking to achieve good LFE this time.....feeling the rain on your skin during a downpour scene for example in a movie. Any opinions are welcome and I thank you in advance.

Two is probably overkill. Start with one and go from there?
post #3 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Dual subs isn't about going loud, it's about smoothing room modes. If you don't think you need what two big subs will give get two smaller subs, just make your sacrifice in output, not extension.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Would having a pair of subs be still a good idea? I want good frequency response for sure but with such a small area it might be overkill/counterproductive with 2 of the JTRs? I am looking to achieve good LFE this time ...
If two JTRs are too much, get two smaller and/or less powerful subs. In your relatively-small room, you'll still get plenty of performance, and you'll pocket some cash in the process. Examples (in alphabetical order by manufacturer) include:
- HSU VTF-15H
- PSA XV-15 / XS30
- Rythmik F15 / FV15
- SVS SB12-NSD / PB12-NSD
post #5 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

With my configuration, going ported would be the smarter choice though correct (with the preference to use them exclusively for home theater)? I definitely want 2 subs to smooth out the response as much as possible throughout the room and I forgot to mention.....I do want a pair of the captivators or submersives because I'd like to be able to move them into a larger room when the time comes down the road (possible I guess, if the configuration in the family room changes). This is why I'm looking at the big boys, else I'd certainly be very interested in a pair of the rythmik fv15s. I guess one can just turn the subs down? =D
post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
A pair of XS-30s or XV-30s would offer tremendous performance in your current space - while saving you money - and still have plenty of performance on tap for a larger space down the road.

But if you integrate and calibrate the SubMs or Caps, they should work very well regardless of the size of room you put them in. smile.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
If you have the budget than just grab a pair of Caps or Submersives and then you never have to wonder or worry if you move to a larger room.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 211

For that smaller room upstairs, I would probably go with a pair of subm's. You'll benefit from its sealed design in that smaller room which would allow you to dig a lot deeper than the Caps with meaningful output below the Caps tuning.

You can't go wrong with either though!

post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

yeah....I keep teetering between the submersives and the captivators. I know for a fact I can't go wrong with either choices. Thanks everyone for reassuring me that it would work out for the space given, just because I have the power to destroy that room doesn't mean I have to use it. =P
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page