Need Advice. Bigger/Better Sub(s) or add sub? - A2-300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, I'm hoping some of you may be able to give me some advice.

My "HT" is currently located in a 2000+ cu. ft area of a 5000+ cu. ft. basement. I'm running an Onkyo 818 with XT32, Ascend 340SEs up front and Ascend 4 HTM-200SEs as surrounds. My aging ED A2-300 holds down the LFE as of now. The A2-300 is located to the right of my display. I used REW and an SPL meter to find the smoothest/loudest spot. I approximately 7' away.

XT32 is the most recent addition to my system, and I'm enjoying the difference it has made so far. Unfortunately, the A2-300 isn't keeping up at times. I'm sure some of this has to do with Dynamice EQ possibly boosting lower frequencies and some of it with the fact that I'm pushing the A2-300 to it's limits (volume at or near 60 on the 818). While watching Thor and Kung Fu Panda 2, the A2-300 "bottomed out." I could possibly disable Dyn EQ or XT32 and probably not have this happen again, but I really enjoy the difference it has made in my system. I'm 95% Movies/TV.

Here are the options currently rattling around in my head right now:

1. Add a similar sub to the A2-300. I can currently get a 3 week old Outlaw LFM-1 Plus for $450 locally.
2. Sell the A2-300 and replace it with a monster like the HSU VTF15H, PSA XS30 or similar (I'd prefer to stay around $1000 at most).
3. Sell the A2-300 and add two PA-150s for about $700-$800

Obviously, option 1 will be the cheapest for me. However, I'm willing to finally bite the bullet and get a "real" sub if it will make that much of a difference.

What I want to accomplish: I want to be able to push my system without having the sub bottom out again. I want a smooth response as well.

If I simply add the LFM-1 Plus will the A2-300 be less taxed when being pushed? Or will two PA-150s be a better fit?

Is it necessary to go BIG if I sit within 7 feet of the sub and display?

Thanks so much for the help in advance. I'm learning as I go and love this hobby, but this one has me stumped at the moment. I've embedded a crappy layout of my basement for reference.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page