If my receiver's crossover is 90Hz, what do I set the subwoofer crossover at? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been trying to read and figure it out, but do not understand. From what I read on my Yamaha the crossover is fixed at 90Hz. What does that mean I put my subwoofer at? If I put the sub on 90Hz what does it mean? everything 90Hz and under will play on the sub?

If my reciever is fixed at 90hz, but I put my sub on 50hz, does that mean that I will miss all sound between 50 and 90? In other words, the receiver (htr-5930) sends the LFE at 90hz, I have my sub set at 50hz. If the signal is 89 - 51, I'll never hear or "feel" it. But as soon as I hit 50, the sub will fire. Is this right?

I read somewhere to turn off the crossover. I don't think I can do that. What the heck do I do? Yes, I read the manual and I read up on things that I could search and find.

Thanks. Sorry. I know this has been asked bunches but I'm very slow at things.

Samsung 51" PN51E450A, Polk Tsi300, Polk CS 2 series ii center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM

Liked: 14
I was recently reminded that the crossover on an AVR creates a slope and not a brickwall (cutting all frequencies below its point). So you'll hear a gradual drop off at 90Hz - your speakers will start to play less information going below 90 and your sub will pick up, blending the two. If you set your sub at 50Hz then you're effectively creating a valley between 50 and 90Hz, but you won't create an absolute void in between those frequencies.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM

Liked: 10
im not an expert but im learning little by little, but what i understand so far is that the receiver will route all deep bass frequencies below 90 Hz to the subwoofer. thats in your case. some people prefer 80Hz. anyways, you have to play with it and find a sweet spot. like i said, im learning this stuff
post #4 of 5 Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM

Liked: 20
Set your sub to as high a frequency as it will go. The receiver will make sure only sounds below 90 Hz get sent to the sub.
At 90 Hz the receiver has already started attenuating the sub signal to half the normal power output (-3 dB), but the main speakers are also at half power (-3dB) at 90 Hz, so the two outputs combine to create the original full level.
If you set your sub to 90 Hz then two filters would both take 3 dB off the response at 90 Hz. Instead of the response being just 3 dB down at 90 Hz it will now be 6dB down at 90 Hz and cause a dip in the response around 90 Hz.
If you set your sub to 50 Hz then yes, there will be attenuated sound between 50 to 90 Hz. (The transition is gradual, not a sudden change from full audio to no audio)

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo2.0 View Post

The receiver will make sure only sounds below 90 Hz get sent to the sub.
The receiver crossover will filter frequencies above the corner frequency at a given rate, usually 12dB/octave, sometimes 18dB/octave. That's not sufficient slope to remove directional information, especially if the corner is set higher than 60Hz. Using the sub amp filter to increase the overall filter slope will give a better result than using the receiver filter alone.
Quote:
From what I read on my Yamaha the crossover is fixed at 90Hz. What does that mean I put my subwoofer at?
Where it sounds best.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page