Need help on my basement please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I will give it a shot. I'm building a projector home theater room in the back corner of my basement. There will be a small unfinished area in the front right corner, just right of the screen (not on the screen wall). My wife is not a fan of seeing the subwoofer. Is it possible to put the subwoofer in the unfinished area? If so what kind should I look for? Can it sit on the concrete floor and point out of the closet? Do I need a speaker cover cut out in the wall? Any other options? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
... I'm building a projector home theater room in the back corner of my basement. There will be a small unfinished area in the front right corner, just right of the screen ... Is it possible to put the subwoofer in the unfinished area?
Yes.
Quote:
If so what kind should I look for?
Whatever kind fits your requirements/limitations (budget, aesthetics, etc.).
Quote:
Can it sit on the concrete floor and point out of the closet? Do I need a speaker cover cut out in the wall?
Wasn't the area unfinished? Regardless, putting it a closet will almost certainly compromise its performance. A hole in the wall and a grille to cover the hole might be nice, but a nice-looking sub (example) might be even nicer.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes it's unfinished, but the other side of the wall isn't. Do I need a speaker plate or will the sub travel through the wall just fine? Can the sub sit on the concrete slab?

thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 554
You can put it on the slab, or on a small piece of carpeting or even on something like a square of heavy-duty puzzle mat (I use this under my subs).
post #5 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Leonard View Post

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I will give it a shot. I'm building a projector home theater room in the back corner of my basement. There will be a small unfinished area in the front right corner, just right of the screen (not on the screen wall). My wife is not a fan of seeing the subwoofer. Is it possible to put the subwoofer in the unfinished area? If so what kind should I look for? Can it sit on the concrete floor and point out of the closet? Do I need a speaker cover cut out in the wall? Any other options? thanks in advance.

Are you a fan of hearing your subwoofer? biggrin.gif

If I understand you correctly, you want to put the sub on the other side of a wall and "shoot" it through an opening in said wall. This will not sound good at all, IMO...I speak from experience. rolleyes.gif

You need to find the optimum (WAF acceptable) position INSIDE your room to get the most from your sub.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

If I understand you correctly, you want to put the sub on the other side of a wall and "shoot" it through an opening in said wall. This will not sound good at all.
It will sound exactly the same firing through an opening in the wall as it would placed in front of it. But the OP must use the standard methods to first determine if that spot will work well. If not it will have to go where it does work well. And tell the wife she's supposed to be looking at the screen, not the speakers. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, a buddy of mine has his sub located in his laundry room, shooting thru a hole in the wall to his family room and it just sounds horrible. Way boomy on the low end and gutless in the midbass. Could be that he's using a 12" Klipsch sub in a +4000 cu ft space though. rolleyes.gif
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Well, a buddy of mine has his sub located in his laundry room, shooting thru a hole in the wall to his family room and it just sounds horrible. Way boomy on the low end and gutless in the midbass. Could be that he's using a 12" Klipsch sub in a +4000 cu ft space though.
There are thousands of successful examples of those who fire subs though walls, floors and ceilings, everything from massive IB installations to folded horns. The sub has to be up to the job, and the placement has to be correct. If it isn't it won't work, but that applies to all subs, not just through-wall, floor or ceiling installs.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to know, thanks Bill!
post #10 of 10 Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I did an IB sub on my RH side,
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1149303/usul-4-x-ae-ib15-line-array-ib-sub-mike-r-ht#post_16508390
HT%252520screen%252520PanoramaC.jpg

the back chamber is utility room.
IB%20Cut%20ConcretePlan.jpg

Look at the "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled" forum for many examples....have fun
http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com/index.cgi
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page