Looking for a powerful ported sub woofer for £500 or less - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I recently purchased myself a new system which includes some Boston A25's and a Denon receiver. Now i'm looking to finish it with a nice and loud wall shake effect sub. The purpose of the sound system is really just for listening to music on fairly loud and a lot of base music is played. I ask for ported as from what I seem to see around that is the best way to go for chest shaking bass? I'm new to all of this so I am still learning!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Congrats on the new gear! cool.gif

In this thread, I had suggested the B&W ASW610 (sealed) @ £499, and you countered with a Boston Acoustics ASW650 (ported) @ £319. Curious: Were you able to audition them and did you find them lacking?

If you were in North America, I'd recommend the SVS PB-1000. Unfortunately, I don't know what you can get for £500 local to you that will beat either of the two subs listed above.

I hope someone else here will chime in with some solid suggestions or recommendations for you. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hey!

Yes I went to hear the A25's in a local store that sold them and they were perfect so I got a pair. The sub woofer was also in the store and I was lucky the guy did not mind me turning it up fairly loud to get a feel with the a25's along side it. I just couldnt help but feel like the power of the bass was enough!

Thanks again by the way for your suggestion on the A25's I love them!
post #4 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The sub woofer was also in the store and I was lucky the guy did not mind me turning it up fairly loud to get a feel ... I just couldnt help but feel like the power of the bass was enough!
Do you mean "the power of the bass wasn't enough"? Yeah, I think you may be hard-pressed to find a more-powerful sub in your price range. If you can spend a bit more, what about dual ASW650? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Thanks again by the way for your suggestion on the A25's I love them!
Glad to help! smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi yeah I was supposed to put wasn't my bad!

I have been looking around and have seen this, which has some nice reviews and seems to be a good quality brand from what I have read, any opinions?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Earthquake-Sound-FF12-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B00A45JG9C/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The product page on the company's website lists the same "400 watts" spec without indicating whether that's RMS (the one that counts), and there's no mention of the frequency response w/ variance (e.g., 20-150Hz +/-3dB). I wouldn't buy it.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I managed to find these spec's

http://eqsound.ru/techfile/test_ff12_mkv10.pdf

The sub is on there as the FF12, A few people seem to really enjoy theirs. I just want to try and find something that is really going to kick but sound great as well!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

MY other option i'm looking at is the BK monolith, Seen a lot of good feedback about it on UK forums. If anyone knows anything about the two any information would be great! smile.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chay525 View Post

I managed to find these spec's
Thanks for posting that. The specs say the sub has a 200W RMS amp and, with no variance (+/-?dB) listed, a less-than-believeable extension of 18Hz. Which means it probably doesn't go any lower than the B.A. sub you found locally. I still wouldn't buy this sub.
Quote:
A few people seem to really enjoy theirs. I just want to try and find something that is really going to kick but sound great as well!
I don't doubt people do enjoy theirs, but IMO this is not going to be the sub that will kick and sound great. The B.A. sub (300W RMS, 28Hz @ -3dB) will likely outperform it...and for less money.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, it seems that SVS does have a UK retailer: Website | Price sheet (PDF)

The prices - particularly the price of the PB-1000 - appear competitive. IMO, you should give this some serious consideration.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page