Paradigm PDR-100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got this sub and hooked it all up..first impressions..not super impressed..doesn't seem to have a lot of bass to it.

Powering it by a Yamaha RXA-720 on one of the sub out RCA's.

Would it help or hurt any by running a Y adapter into both L&R input of the sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 515
According to the specs, the sub has a 120W RMS amp and in-room extension of 29Hz @ -3dB. The lack of bass doesn't seem too surprising.

That being said, have you done a sub crawl to find the location(s) in the room that offer(s) the best output? Have you calibrated the sub to your system (and tweaked as required/desired)?
Quote:
Would it help or hurt any by running a Y adapter into both L&R input of the sub?
If the manual says it's OK to do it, give it a try. It may not help, but it can't hurt. (If the manual recommends against doing it, I'd avoid doing it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I am new to all this so I am assuming by a sub crawl you are talking about moving it all around the room and seeing where it sounds best?

I emailed paradigm and they told me it was ok to use a Y adapter on it.

I tried it and noticed a slight gain, but not much.

I played the bank scene in Matrix and you cant really feel the bass unless I turn the gain way up on the sub itself. I also set it up according to the yamaha and paradigm instructions.

I think I might have to consider taking this sub back.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am new to all this so I am assuming by a sub crawl you are talking about moving it all around the room and seeing where it sounds best?
Actually, you put the sub in your primary listening position and you crawl (or walk stooped over very low) around the room and find the spot - or spots - where you get the most output. Then you place the sub in the spot that works best for you (ideally the one with the most output, but sometimes life gets in the way).
Quote:
I played the bank scene in Matrix and you cant really feel the bass unless I turn the gain way up on the sub itself. I also set it up according to the yamaha and paradigm instructions.
Gain controls aren't necessarily linear, and they work differently on different subs. So you may in fact have to turn the gain on the sub up fairly high. But once you've run the AVR's calibration program and adjusted the subwoofer level as required/desired via the AVR's speaker set-up menu, you should have a balanced sound. Turn up the volume and you should get bigger, but equally-balanced, sound.
Quote:
I think I might have to consider taking this sub back.
No point keeping it if it doesn't meet your expectations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

But once you've run the AVR's calibration program and adjusted the subwoofer level as required/desired via the AVR's speaker set-up menu, you should have a balanced sound. Turn up the volume and you should get bigger, but equally-balanced, sound.

I actually haven't done that since I replaced the front and center speakers. Will do that tonight and see how that changes anything.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Wondering if this sub (http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/subwoofer/paradigm/dsp-series/dsp-3100) would be better or should I look to the internet to find something?

I sent an email to the guy I bought from and his reply was maybe we should look at that sub. Its $515 after tax and 4 hours of driving.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wondering if [the DSP-3100] would be better or should I look to the internet to find something?

I sent an email to the guy I bought from and his reply was maybe we should look at that sub. Its $515 after tax and 4 hours of driving.
You should seriously consider the SVS PB-1000, available in Canada through SVS' Canadian distributor, SonicBoomAudio.com. (I'm assuming from your username that you're Canadian.) It's $499 + tax + shipping (you can get a shipping quote on the SBA website) and, IMO, it will noticeably outperform the DSP-3100 (and it will crush the PDR-100).

DSP-3100:
- 200W RMS
- 10" driver
- 24Hz @ -3dB (in-room)

PB-1000
- 300W RMS
- 10" driver
- 19Hz @ -3dB (2m ground-plane; in-room may be even lower)

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page