Placing a subwoofer in an Ikea Expedit Bookshelf. Good idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I might be getting the Energy RC-Micro 5.1 speaker package. If so, I am thinking of sticking the subwoofer (ESW C8) in an Ikea expedit shelf opening, right below the centre speaker and TV. This would be for 1) keeping the subwoofer in the centre and close to the centre speaker (recommended for this system it seems), 2) saves space in such a small living room, 3) aesthetics.

It is front-firing, but bottom ported. Would this cause unwanted rumbles, distortions if the subwoofer is essentially nested within a shelf... even at low volumes?
I should add that I have a small child who will be sleeping on the other side of the wall, and I have neighbours with small children below me (separated by old hardwood floors). So, I am not looking to shake the house or anything. The subwoofer will be kept at very low volumes.

Hopefully people here have tried out a similar setp and have had a good experience with it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Liked: 11
It would likely rattle things on the bookshelf and probably not the best placement for good sound quality.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks Shadowdane. I imagine it wouldn't be ideal in terms of sound. But I have to balance sound, with design/space. I am only hoping that it won't sound abnormally bad. To be clear, I am not searching for an ideal placement for the subwoofer, I am only seeking to find advice if the Expedit shelf would be a tolerable place for the subwoofer.

I am also curious about the idea of it rattling furniture. At such low volume levels (with a child sleeping on the other side of a paper-thin wall), would it really rattle anything?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoneedacoffee View Post

I am also curious about the idea of it rattling furniture. At such low volume levels (with a child sleeping on the other side of a paper-thin wall), would it really rattle anything?
At low volume it will not. At low volume it will also be harder to hear the bass unless boosted relative to the higher freqs.
If you want some bass at low volume you may be best putting the sub close to your seat.