Subwoofer for Open ended Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi Guys,

From my understanding (definitely no expert) a subwoofer works by pressurizing the room for the chest pounding effect. What if you have an open ended theater?

I'm looking for recommendations on a subwoofer (or two) for my freshly built theater. The back end of the the theater opens to another room (bar area of sorts) separated by a half wall bar behind the 2nd row of seats. The theater itself is about 2,600 cubic feet. The area directly behind the theater is around 1,800 cubic feet and also opens up to a pool table area. It would nearly be impossible for me to "pressurized" the whole area behind the theater but what kind of power should i be looking at here? What kind of results should I expect with the open theater arrangement.

My current speakers are M&K S-150's accross the front and the SS-150 surrounds if it matters. I would also like to position the subwoofers on the front wall behind the screen (built a false wall)

Just need to add the subwoofers. Was considering a pair of PC-13 Ultra's or very tentatively considering DIY. Would like to keep pricing under under 2k

Any thoughts or a direction I should persue based on this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 613
If you are adept with woodworking and already have the tools, there is no reason not to go DIY. $2k in DIY can get you some insane bass that no conventional commercial sub could ever offer. Look around in the DIY section for suggestions.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
You've got the right idea, in as much as the entire volume of space will need to be accounted for. What are the dimensions of the whole area?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 4 Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations on a subwoofer (or two) for my freshly built theater. ... The theater itself is about 2,600 cubic feet. The area directly behind the theater is around 1,800 cubic feet and also opens up to a pool table area. ...

Just need to add the subwoofers. Was considering a pair of PC-13 Ultra's or very tentatively considering DIY. Would like to keep pricing under under 2k ...
Dual PC13-Ultras would work. Another option would be dual PSA XV-15s.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page