Calling bass lovers - need your subwoofer advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read the last several pages of posts on subwoofers and decided to take the plunge. Below is my room diagram. It's about 15'x22'. I have one wall with a fairly large window; other openings marked. I will be running PSB Synchrony One towers for music/HT combo from a Bryston 9B-SST (pre-amp TBD). I am leaning toward a single sub instead of 2.

I have heard the gamut of recommendations, from wicked JL Audio Fantom recommendations to Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, even Paradigm and REL. My audiophile friend talked me out of the JL Audio and into some of the less expensive options. A poster here with Synchrony Ones recently returned his SVS for the JL Audio.

My main concern is finding something that will complement the Synchrony speakers for both music and movies. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Seaton SubMersive HP
post #3 of 17 Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Seaton SubMersive HP

eljaycanuck - I think I may have seen that name come up before. What do you like about it? I'll search for some other posts so you don't have to repeat yourself too much.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 472
The SubM HP is very highly-regarded for its combination of output, extension, sound quality, build quality and good looks - all at an ID (Internet-direct) price that easily undercuts other higher-end subwoofer brands.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I recently installed an Ken Kreisel DXD 12012 very accurate bass for music and movies!
post #6 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
There's the bottom, the middle and the top dogs of the industry and Seaton Sound, SubMersive, using layperson's terminology, is one of the big dogs with a high smile/fun factor.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If music is a big part of your diet, Rythmik is one of the better choices
post #8 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I recently installed an Ken Kreisel DXD 12012 very accurate bass for music and movies!
That's a new name to me. It definitely is one of the more expensive units out there. When you say "accurate" can you describe a little more? Does it give you the "hits you like a ton of bricks" effect on movies while not being overly boomy for music?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

There's the bottom, the middle and the top dogs of the industry and Seaton Sound, SubMersive, using layperson's terminology, is one of the big dogs with a high smile/fun factor.
The Seaton definitely comes up often. Thanks for seconding the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

If music is a big part of your diet, Rythmik is one of the better choices
I have read several posts on the Rythmik FV15HP. How exactly does it align itself to music better?

post #9 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Power Sound Audio is a new company with some new subs that seem to be getting rave reviews. You might want to check them out.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

Power Sound Audio is a new company with some new subs that seem to be getting rave reviews. You might want to check them out.

dharel - thanks. Early reading indicates they came from SVS which is high pedigree indeed. I will definitely read about them. Prices look good, too.

post #11 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfac87 View Post

That's a new name to me. It definitely is one of the more expensive units out there. When you say "accurate" can you describe a little more? Does it give you the "hits you like a ton of bricks" effect on movies while not being overly boomy for music?
The Seaton definitely comes up often. Thanks for seconding the recommendation.
I have read several posts on the Rythmik FV15HP. How exactly does it align itself to music better?

How about a kick in chest and room filling deep shuttering lows both with low distortion movies and music (I brought it for music first) and it doesn't even know what Boomy means! If you are unfamiliar with the name this may or may not help Ken was the "K" in M&K (Miller & Kreisel) google it and the list of credentials says enough , He's back and has delivered an outstanding product.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

How about a kick in chest and room filling deep shuttering lows both with low distortion movies and music (I brought it for music first) and it doesn't even know what Boomy means! If you are unfamiliar with the name this may or may not help Ken was the "K" in M&K (Miller & Kreisel) google it and the list of credentials says enough , He's back and has delivered an outstanding product.

That is high praise indeed. The price certainly reflects it, too. May be a wee bit out of my budget.

post #13 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I would get the Seaton Submerssive HP as well. Seaton offers some nice finishes too.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfac87 View Post

That is high praise indeed. The price certainly reflects it, too. May be a wee bit out of my budget.

Speaking of that, what is your budget?

Are you looking for the best performance per $ you can manage? I didn't see anywhere that you were opposed to going the DIY route? If you wanted to put forth the effort, you could have 4 18's up and running for under the cost of a SubM HP.

However, if you must have something plug-n-play, a SubM HP or powered JTR Captivator would be my top recommendations...

post #15 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Speaking of that, what is your budget?

Are you looking for the best performance per $ you can manage? I didn't see anywhere that you were opposed to going the DIY route? If you wanted to put forth the effort, you could have 4 18's up and running for under the cost of a SubM HP.

However, if you must have something plug-n-play, a SubM HP or powered JTR Captivator would be my top recommendations...

popalock - great question on the budget. I could go to $2k but I have heard plenty of advice that there are great $800-$1500 units to be had. My first exposure to subs was the JL Audio F112 at a dealer which was plenty pricey. I don't know much about the DIY world of audio/video but probably not my cup of tea. It sounds like fun but I am going plug-n-play at the moment. Those Captivators are massive! I hope I don't need all that. I was thinking more along the 10"-15" range, again depending on the quality/engineering of the company's unit.

post #16 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to let folks know I went with the Power Sound XV15 sub. Amazing pre-sales communication with Tom, great reviews and a great price. Thanks everyone for your advice.

post #17 of 17 Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Welcome to the club.

Theatre
Onkyo TX-NR818 * Epson 8700UB * Samsung BD-E5900 * Cornscala - Heresy II - Cornscala (LCR) * PSA XV15 SUB
2 Channel
C 33 Pre * MC 2505 Amp * Thorens TD-160 w/ Denon DL-110
Cornscalas w/ Custom Mid Horns from Dave at Fastlane Audio, Tweeters from Bob Crites and ALK Universal X-Overs.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page