dual svs sb12 nsd subs - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
figured it out for some reason my denon 2nd sub out is screwing with the polarity. works fine once i put a y adapter on the first sub out.

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Home Built HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Salk HT2 TL's - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 for mains & Acurus A250 for center channel, Seaton Submersive HP+, Kimber Kable 12TC and Hero Interconnects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 571
This definitely sounds like a phase problem, like ceh said, switch the phase setting on ONE of the subs, not both, and see if it sounds louder. You are probably getting cancellation, which is where the peaks and troughs of the sound waves from the two subs are opposing where they meet at your listening position, and they can cancel each other out, leaving you with less SPL than just running one sub. As for the Klipsch sub, I haven't seen measurements for it, but I would guess it has a peakish frequency response with a lot of mid or upper bass but not so much deep bass. It will be made for big output at more easily perceivable frequencies, which is not what the SB12 is made for.
post #33 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscorv58 View Post

figured it out for some reason my denon 2nd sub out is screwing with the polarity. works fine once i put a y adapter on the first sub out.

Well, if the second sub out IS backwards setting the sub plugged into it's phase to 180 should also correct the issue.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #34 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is it possible that SVS sent you an SB12nsd with the speaker leads reversed? I had this issue on two occasions with my SB12nsds where one was out of phase with the other. As per SVS the best solution is to remove the amp and switch the + and - leads as switching the phase from 0 to 180 doesn't completely fix the issue.
post #35 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Is it possible that SVS sent you an SB12nsd with the speaker leads reversed? I had this issue on two occasions with my SB12nsds where one was out of phase with the other. As per SVS the best solution is to remove the amp and switch the + and - leads as switching the phase from 0 to 180 doesn't completely fix the issue.

I would think not, as both subs plugged into 1 sub out with a y adapter seems to have fixed the issue....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #36 of 36 Old 01-27-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
all fixed with the Y adapter, now they have that punch that was missing before. What an outstanding musical sub. Highly recommend.

Samsung es6150 55", Marantz av8801, Home Built HTPC, Sony S590 - BluRay, Salk HT2 TL's - Mains, Polk LSIC - Center, Parasound A21 for mains & Acurus A250 for center channel, Seaton Submersive HP+, Kimber Kable 12TC and Hero Interconnects
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page