SVS SB13-Ultra vs Rythmik F15HP (vs FV15HP?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ack! Subwoofer help desperately needed!

I am wiffle waffling between the SVS SB13Ultra and the Rythmik F15HP, but really cant decide between the two. Here are the facts/requirements in bullet form for easy reading. wink.gif
  • room is a family room/media room that is 16x21, ~3000 ft^3 with an opening to the rest of the house. Horrible phone panarama below....

• Only want one sub. It will go where the fern is in the above picture. The wall is only wired for one and we cant run one to the back/side walls. No room by the front right speaker. There is a long console coming for the audio equipment in the middle which will not allow another sub there. Basically there is about 4 ft where the fern is and thats that.
  • Our media habits are probably 90% movies, 10% music.
  • Really looking for a sub that can hit the high teens (16-18 ballpark) when it has too while still sounding decent . Definitely want that more common, upper midbass punch though.
  • Don't need the crazy base levels that some of you people love to have in your GTG and user meets. Generally, if my pant legs are flapping, windows rattling, and blankets moving then that's too much sub smile.gif
  • We don't listen at reference levels. Ever. Usually around -20 to -25. Ok sometimes when I'm feeling saucy I'll take it to -12 or -10 but then I usually get yelled at in short order.
  • Must be good looking. Well, at least cant be ugly.

So back to the subs. As mentioned I think I've narrowed it down to the aforementioned SB13U or the F15HP. The SVS has a slightly smaller driver but more power to drive it. It also looks gorgeous. Only glowing reviews. Is the space simply too much for it though? The Rythmik has a bigger driver, but a little less power behind it. Also a bigger box (but still well within our limits for size). Not really any professional reviews but have yet to read a bad rythmik review on pretty much any forum I read (here, audioholics, home theater shack). Would it be more up to handling the room size?

Lastly I will mention the FV15HP. Frankly I think it will be just too much sub. It is really over the size that we'd like to see at 24" high by 24" inches deep (the F15HP is about the max size we'd really like to have at 19"by 19"), and a couple hundred bucks more (not a big deal though) but really I dont *think* we'd be taking advantage of the monstrous output it has given our listening levels. But maybe I am totally clueless and underestimating how big our room is and the effect it will have on the smaller sealed subs. I don't know! Halp! Opinions! Advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
A gloss black Rythmik FV15HP would look killer in that beautiful room:) I have never heard the SVS Ultra but I bought the Rythmik to replace a very stout SVS cylinder sub that I loved. The Rythmik has been the best audio investment I have ever made.

Bottom line is that you will be VERY happy either way, I'm sure of it.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #3 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 61
WOW, that room is gorgeous! I'd go with the Rythmik.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #4 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Go with the Rythmik. You can never have to much sub for that size room. You actually may two sub due to an uneven bass respone in the room.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #5 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 488
You are not going to hit the teens with a sealed sub unless you get a lot of room gain. The only way to be sure is to use a ported sub. Another sub you might consider is the Hsu ULS-15, that might do low frequencies a bit better than the sealed Rythmik and SVS sub, but no single sealed sub is going to get incredibly loud.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 AM

Liked: 38
Add to list version PB13-Ultra bass reflex, there could behave like a real beast!

You could also look at these:

Power Sound Audio: XS30 or XV30, also dual VX15.

HSU: Dual VTF-15H

There are many good options, all with the above that others have recommended, are good.

rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Love your room, but there are a few things to consider here. First, with those hardwood floors and no carpets, you are going to get some difficult to tame reflections. Any way you can add a nice looking area rug? Second, I would mock up a cardboard box that is the same size of the subs you are comparing and see what works for you in the room. The Rythmik should easily give you more extension and output vs the SB13, but based on your goals and expectations, the SB13 is most likely more than enough sub for you.

If you can make the size of the Rythmik work for you, I say go for it. If it seems to large, then get the SVS or a PSA XS30 and don't look back smile.gif Any of these options should give you the mid bass punch you are looking for and useable extension under 20hz.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
1. That is a stunning room! eek.gif

2. +1 to the Rythmik FV15HP.

3. If the FV15HP isn't for you, another option aside from the SVS SB13-Ultra is the SVS PB12-Plus ($1,399, shipped):
- it's less huge than the FV15HP (22" (h) x 19.75" (w) x 25.2" (d));
- it's powerful (800W RMS);
- it's adjustable (DSP and pluggable tuning ports);
- it's available in an elegant, piano-black finish; and
- it's a solid performer.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

1. That is a stunning room! eek.gif

2. +1 to the Rythmik FV15HP.

3. If the FV15HP isn't for you, another option aside from the SVS SB13-Ultra is the SVS PB12-Plus ($1,399, shipped):
- it's less huge than the FV15HP (22" (h) x 19.75" (w) x 25.2" (d));
- it's powerful (800W RMS);
- it's adjustable (DSP and pluggable tuning ports);
- it's available in an elegant, piano-black finish; and
- it's a solid performer.

Totally agree.smile.gif
post #10 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. FYI there is a large shag area rug coming soon so that should help with reflections. We have thick curtains at the back which already made a huge difference in their own selves. Lots of people leaning towards the FV15HP which is somewhat what I expected given the forum smile.gif but any thoughts on the sealed SB13U vs the sealed F15HP and which would theoretically be 'better' for the room (ie smaller driver/bigger amp vs bigger driver/smaller amp)?
post #11 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbequidam View Post

Thanks for the comments. FYI there is a large shag area rug coming soon so that should help with reflections. We have thick curtains at the back which already made a huge difference in their own selves. Lots of people leaning towards the FV15HP which is somewhat what I expected given the forum smile.gif but any thoughts on the sealed SB13U vs the sealed F15HP and which would theoretically be 'better' for the room (ie smaller driver/bigger amp vs bigger driver/smaller amp)?

Good deal on the rug, that can make a big difference and I think you will notice it right away with your other speakers as well. If you are comparing sealed Rythmik to sealed SVS it is hard to say as I don't recall people comparing these subs head to head. There is a lot to factor into a driver than just the cone size. It is the characteristics of the driver itself that matter and I don't think either company shares all the details about their driver. On paper, one would think a 15" woofer would be superior to a 13", but in reality there are many factors to consider before you could say that to be true. I would tend to think these two subs would perform very close to each other. The SVS sub has a smaller driver but it is also getting a lot more power from the SVS sledge amp. Really tough call here. Personally, I have bought from SVS before and their customer service and warranty is second to none in the industry. I would probably go in that direction if it was me, but between these two choices you really cannot go wrong and Rythmik has a good reputation as well.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by habbequidam View Post

Very nice setup!

As a few posters have mentioned above, with that size and type of room you really need to look at a ported sub. I would contact SVS, send them the picture,
tell them exactly what you are looking for in a sub and let them give you some suggestions.
post #13 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
I'd be willing to bet that SVS ultra 13 would out perform (in terms of pure volume and SPL) than a rythmik f25, which is 2 15" subs. That SVS ultra is a hell of a speaker. It is similar to the JL Audio 13 w7, which blows away many dual 12 and 15" sub setups with similar power handling.

I know this thread is few months old. What did you end up with?

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #14 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll take you up on that bet! How much are you willing to wager?
post #15 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't really serious about the bet, kind of just a term you know.

I've played with very high end car audio systems for 20 years. I can tell by looking at the speaker that it is of very high quality and very capable.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #16 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

I've played with very high end car audio systems for 20 years. I can tell by looking at the speaker that it is of very high quality and very capable.

lol
post #17 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Rythmik drivers are no joke. Their DS1510 driver outperforms the SVS 13" Ultra driver with less power and in a smaller cabinet (and $600 cheaper too). You can see that here, compare the measurements of the FV15HP to the PB13 Ultra.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 PM

Liked: 10
Why din't any one recommend the BEASTS (Seaton SubmersiveHP and the JTR Captivator-S) none of the subs mentioned above can match these subs in power or performance or speed.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylover79 View Post

Why din't any one recommend the BEASTS (Seaton SubmersiveHP and the JTR Captivator-S) none of the subs mentioned above can match these subs in power or performance or speed.

OP stated choices had already been narrowed, that F15HP (19" cube) was the max size, and that they do not listen anywhere near reference levels. Seems to pretty much rule out paying more for what are otherwise excellent options.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #20 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 PM

What did you end up getting? I am in a similar quandry...
post #21 of 26 Old 06-08-2013, 07:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post

What did you end up getting? I am in a similar quandry...

I know that the Rythmik and SVS SB13 are different classes of subs, but I am looking for a good sub to match my Aperion Verus Grands, and these two are the top contenders. If space weren't an issue the choice would be easy(er).
post #22 of 26 Old 06-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkp2k View Post

I know that the Rythmik and SVS SB13 are different classes of subs, but I am looking for a good sub to match my Aperion Verus Grands, and these two are the top contenders. If space weren't an issue the choice would be easy(er).

I dont get this, if SPACE is an issue, then basically you dont have a choice on which sub to get, correct ?
post #23 of 26 Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I still wonder if the bass will be uneven in a room that size. The SVS or Rythmik may not solve that problems. Chase makes an SS 18.2 that will have more output than the two other 2 subs but it is larger. Even smaller multiple subs may give you the bass that your are looking for since you are not looking to get to reference level.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #24 of 26 Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Chase still operating? I emailed them and never heard back.

Will two SVS Ultra or Rythmik F15s make it to reference with ease?

post #25 of 26 Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will two SVS Ultra or Rythmik F15s make it to reference with ease?

As far as I know, Chase is still operating. Two SB13s or F15s won't be achieving THX Reference levels in large rooms. You are really going to need ported subs for that. In a small room they might. For Reference levels, you need to hit 115 dB peaks from 20 hz to 80 hz cleanly at your listening position, which isn't an easy task.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Last I read, they're still operating and they had stock of their subs, speakers and, IIRC, their new amps.

They had an issue with their e-mail earlier this year - maybe it's still a problem. Dunno. Generally, Craig seems to suggest that people either PM him through the forum site, or contact the company using their toll-free number.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Fv15hp Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page