Experience with B&W's Custom Theater Subs (CT-SW15)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone have experience with Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) passive subs from their custom theater line?

I have a limited amount of room behing my AT screen (less than 15"), but want to put the sub back there against the front wall. So am looking at passive subs (i.e. subs with no electronics built in) as these are typically less bulky. These B&W subs are only about 10" deep, and come with drivers up to 15".

Anyone auditioned them? Other suggestions / ideas for a sub that would fit in that limited amount of space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 03:25 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Just to bump this thread Im curious if anyone has used these?

Frank
post #3 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I don't have experience with these particular B&W subs, but haven't been impressed with their others when it comes to price and performance; I've always found the ID subs offer far more. If a small footprint is needed, I would look at the cylinder subs that SVS offers.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 06:36 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post
I don't have experience with these particular B&W subs, but haven't been impressed with their others when it comes to price and performance; I've always found the ID subs offer far more. If a small footprint is needed, I would look at the cylinder subs that SVS offers.
I only found one review for these particular B&W Subs. He gave a good review for them but one review doesn't cut it.

Frank
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Since it is hidden behind an at, passive, and it has to be a certain dimensions, I would just go to a car audio store and have them build you a box as large as you can within your constrain. There are many 18" drivers available that would kick the snot out of the bw offerings. Head over to the DIY section and many will help you.

Delete please. Beating on an old thread.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a pair of CTSW10's and a pair of CTSW15's as well as a pair of DB1's. The CTSW's are not bad at what they do if you are looking for an all in one solution. As mentioned they are expensive compared to the DIY route, plus they don't have the ultimate bass extension compared to self build. All in all they serve the purpose for what they are designed to do and that is make bass. Don't expect ridiculous output, but for normal to above normal listening levels they are perfect. Also with a pair it does help with regard to room positioning for a smoother response. It depends on what price you can get them for.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshear View Post
I have a pair of CTSW10's and a pair of CTSW15's as well as a pair of DB1's. The CTSW's are not bad at what they do if you are looking for an all in one solution. As mentioned they are expensive compared to the DIY route, plus they don't have the ultimate bass extension compared to self build. All in all they serve the purpose for what they are designed to do and that is make bass. Don't expect ridiculous output, but for normal to above normal listening levels they are perfect. Also with a pair it does help with regard to room positioning for a smoother response. It depends on what price you can get them for.
Thank you for your reply.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page