Which sub should I get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live in a apartment so I want to go with a small sub. The speakers I purchased are nht super zero 2.0s

So should I get the matching sub?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_228SUPER8/NHT-Super-8.html?search=nht

Or could I get this save some money and be about the same?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-OUsYctSIUOO/p_653S8B/Mirage-OMNI-S8.html?tp=187

Or do you guys have another option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Do you want a small sub for the small footprint (size of the unit) or do you think a small sub will bother your neighbors less? Personally I'd get a bigger sub like the Klipsch RW12D, especially when on sale for $300 shipped from newegg as happens frequently. Just don't turn it up as much.

ps there's little value to "matching" subs. It's about frequency response, extension and spl.

post #3 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Ditto.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #4 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
If you need a small sub, go for the Hsu STF1 over either of those, it is about the same price. If you want deeper bass and can handle a somewhat larger sub, look at the Hsu STF2. If you want a sub that will get loud, go for the Klipsch RW-12d, if it is on sale.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Having a small foot print isn't all that important it was mostly not wanting to be the `menace` neighbor but hadn't really considered that I could just turn it down. Sorry this is my first set up outside of a sound bar, shadyj what makes that sub better? Its certainly in my price range. Thanks again for your help guys smile.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the STF subs will dig a bit deeper in bass, the STF2 especially. Their larger cabinet ought to make them a bit more efficient down low, they have more powerful amps, they have longer warranties. The Klipsch sub ought to get a lot louder than any of these, right now it is in stock at newegg.com for $350 and free shipping. Anyway, in the face of these better choices I would definitely skip the Mirage and NHT subs.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think the STF subs will dig a bit deeper in bass, the STF2 especially. Their larger cabinet ought to make them a bit more efficient down low, they have more powerful amps, they have longer warranties. The Klipsch sub ought to get a lot louder than any of these, right now it is in stock at newegg.com for $350 and free shipping. Anyway, in the face of these better choices I would definitely skip the Mirage and NHT subs.

Not sure about level but am pretty sure the Klipsch will exceed the Hsu 10" offerings and extend much lower, to 20hz fairly reliably. At $300 the Klipsch is a very good deal (and goes there regularly shipped), and even at $350 is worthy of consideration.

post #8 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks shadyj I'm going with the Hsu STF1 seems to be a phenomenal value according to what I've been reading really appreciate the help.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Not sure about level but am pretty sure the Klipsch will exceed the Hsu 10" offerings and extend much lower, to 20hz fairly reliably. At $300 the Klipsch is a very good deal (and goes there regularly shipped), and even at $350 is worthy of consideration.

I agree, the Klipsch might be able to dig deeper, but I think it is tuned higher than 20 hz, so I doubt it is getting down to that point. I think its chief advantage is its output, not its extension.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I agree, the Klipsch might be able to dig deeper, but I think it is tuned higher than 20 hz, so I doubt it is getting down to that point. I think its chief advantage is its output, not its extension.

I don't know what it's tuned for, but was going on Archaea's measurements. I haven't actually measured mine yet. I was also remembering only the STF1's spec at 32hz, not the 25hz stated by Hsu on the STF2.

post #11 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM

That Klipsch would rock the entire apartment complex. wink.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:

Neither the stf1 or 2 as a larger cabinet than the rw. Neither one has a more powerful amp either. Just from listening I would say the rw goes every bit as low as the stf2 and is a lot louder. I had an stf2 and returned it for an rw. I would rather have one rw than 2 stf1s.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #13 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Neither the stf1 or 2 as a larger cabinet than the rw. Neither one has a more powerful amp either. Just from listening I would say the rw goes every bit as low as the stf2 and is a lot louder. I had an stf2 and returned it for an rw. I would rather have one rw than 2 stf1s.

I think shadyj was comparing the HSUs to the NHT and Mirage subs while commenting that the Klipsch will have the most overall output for the money.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
I see. I re read the whole thread and that makes sense.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page