subwoofer setting advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Recently bought Denon 1513 and Wharfedale MS 100 Speaker combo. Mt room is 12 footX14 foot

Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP --- exceptional sound:
But when I set up the system in my room (which has same dimension as demo room) I need to turn the sub-woofer channel level to "+ 4 db" (max setting is + 12 db) and also need to keep the sub-woofer volume level at 3 o'clock position to get room rumbling bass.

Here is the subwoofer specification of Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP ---

MS-100 Subwoofer
Description aclive subwoofer
Enclosure type bass reflex
Transducer complement 200mm long throw bass driver
Input sensitivity 200mV for 75W
Rated power output 75W RMS
Peak power output 150 w
Peak SPL 108dB
Frequency response (+I-3dB) 35Hz ~ 200Hz
Crossover range 40-150Hz
Special features phase inversion
Variable filter slope
auto onloff
Cabinet Volume 16.4|_
Dimensions (H*W*D)mm 315><340><310mm
Net weight 8.1l@(each)
Power requirements AC 220-240V ~ 50l60Hz
AC 100-120V ~ 50l60Hz

My question is, it is normal to pump up the volume of subwoofer? Shoudn't it be sounding deep enough at normal volume? My Denon is rated at 110 Watt, where as the sub is 75 watt.
Is there any problem with the sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupamdatta View Post

Hi

Recently bought Denon 1513 and Wharfedale MS 100 Speaker combo. Mt room is 12"X14"

But when I set up the system in my room (which has same dimension as demo room) I need to turn the sub-woofer channel level to "+ 4 db" (max setting is + 12 db) and also need to keep the sub-woofer volume level at 3 o'clock position to get room rumbling bass.

Here is the subwoofer specification of Wharfedale Moviestar MS-100 HCP ---

MS-100 Subwoofer
Description aclive subwoofer
Enclosure type bass reflex
Transducer complement 200mm long throw bass driver
Input sensitivity 200mV for 75W
Rated power output 75W RMS
Peak power output 150 w
Peak SPL 108dB
Frequency response (+I-3dB) 35Hz ~ 200Hz
Crossover range 40-150Hz
Special features phase inversion
Variable filter slope
auto onloff
Cabinet Volume 16.4|_
Dimensions (H*W*D)mm 315><340><310mm
Net weight 8.1l@(each)
Power requirements AC 220-240V ~ 50l60Hz
AC 100-120V ~ 50l60Hz

My question is, it is normal to pump up the volume of subwoofer? Shoudn't it be sounding deep enough at normal volume? My Denon is rated at 110 Watt, where as the sub is 75 watt.

Won't commeNt on the sub itself but the sub trim is all really preferences. I run mine +2db hot while some others run them at +10.

Regarding the avr being 110 and the sub being 75, no thats not an issue. The 110 watts is for the speakers. The sub has its own amp (powered sub) so it doesn't need the power from the avr.
rupamdatta likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Hi

Recently bought Denon 1513 and Wharfedale MS 100 Speaker combo. Mt room is 12"X14"

Wow, you must really get some "room rumbling bass" in a room that small (12 inches x 14 inches)! How do you fit? Or do you just stick your head in to listen? wink.gif

Seriously though, when you say you "set up" your system, did you use an SPL meter to set your speaker levels, or just your ears?

As pokekevin said, sub trim is really a preference, but you should first set the output to (the THX recommended level of) 75db using a SPL meter. Same goes for all speakers. OR, use Audyssey (which your AVR doesn't have as far as I can tell).
rupamdatta likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Wow, you must really get some "room rumbling bass" in a room that small (12 inches x 14 inches)! How do you fit? Or do you just stick your head in to listen? wink.gif

Seriously though, when you say you "set up" your system, did you use an SPL meter to set your speaker levels, or just your ears?

As pokekevin said, sub trim is really a preference, but you should first set the output to (the THX recommended level of) 75db using a SPL meter. Same goes for all speakers. OR, use Audyssey (which your AVR doesn't have as far as I can tell).

I have corrected the measurement. I dont have a SPL meter. Now in my AVR, the volume control shows in db. Is that supposed to be a true measurement of decible? I read some where that dB is a number which tells you what your volume is in reference to a fixed volume. SO it does not show real life decibel level?

I generally listen to 50 db volume. I have changed the subwoofer bass duck position to sideways, I noticed some improvement in bass.

Here is the set up :
post #5 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:

All else being equal you need at least four times the power to a sub than to the mains. Either that, or the total size of the sub cabinet must be eight times that of the mains. Or you can have a combination of the two, say a sub four times the size of the mains, with twice the power, give or take. A sub with less power than the mains will never keep up, unless it's gigantic in size.
rupamdatta likes this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well, thanks everyone. I figured it out. The subwooofer is fine. Its the position which was problematic. I repositioned the sub with ports at side. The bass is awesome now. Enjoying every bit of it. The bass is also sensative to good soundtracks and to encodings. DTS sounds best. Thanks guys....smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page