ed LT/550 replacement amp for A5-350? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody come up with a good replacement for the LT/550 yet? We really enjoyed the A5-350 for the 6 years or so we had it. (Older downward firing model.)

Thank you,

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The two standard procedures.

You can always get a Behringer EP2500 and wire it directly to the speaker (being careful to maintain the air seal).

You can order a replacement plate amp from Parts Express (but may need to do some cutting and pasting to get it to fit).
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I was looking at the Dayton 500W but didn't know how comparable it would be performance and soundwise. The Behringer seems to be discontinued but I'd prefer if I could get something to connect directly to the sub enclosure if possible.

It looks like the Behringer EP2000 would be reasonable in price and deliver way more power than that speaker could handle. I wonder what the limits of the speaker are. lol

Tom
post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

If you purchased the eD subwoofer originally, you should have had documentation on how much power the subwoofer amplifier puts out. If you look at the amp, it should have a little plate (tag) that tells you how many watts it is rated at.

My guess is that the basic 500w PE amp or the 500w PE BASH amp would have sufficient power but not too much power as to blow your driver. I have the PE 240w amp and the PE 500w BASH amp which have worked fine for several years (as they have for other individuals in this forum).
post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 AM

My LT-550 amp just went out on me too. One guy on another thread said he used the Dayton SPA250 with pretty good results. You can just drop it in without having to modify the box. I'm going to give it a shot. Here is the link to it. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-803
post #6 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRob View Post

My LT-550 amp just went out on me too. One guy on another thread said he used the Dayton SPA250 with pretty good results. You can just drop it in without having to modify the box. I'm going to give it a shot. Here is the link to it. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-803

Thanks for the link. How did this work out for you? I'm considering purchasing this. ED said that I could send in my LT-550 for repair. It would cost $45, I believe. This was last year and I never sent it in. This is the second amp that has gone out on me. This Dayton has much less power so I'm not sure how well it drives the sub.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thread resurrection, but I finally got the Bash 500W amp. Very different dimensions for the box however. Are they are any good threads or tips on how to cut down part of the box, and seal the other part? This plate is shorter, but wider than the square plate eD used, so there will be space above the amp that needs filled.

Tom
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have access to suitable equipment, you can do cutting-and-pasting to change the size of the opening for the amp.

My lazy man's approach. Original amp 7"x13"'; new amp 8"x12" (same BASH amp that you have). My son screwed 2"x4"s together in a rectangular shape that he glued to the back on the subwoofer. He had to extend the wires on the back of the amp several inches. He then screwed the BASH amp to the back of the subwoofer which still yielded a good air seal.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page