Best Used Subwoofer for a smaller room under $300? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a room about 14' x 10' and I am looking for a good subwoofer to compliment my setup. I am currently running a Marantz sr6003 receiver power 2 Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand bookshelf speakers and matching center. I have 2 entry level Def-Tech rears. My main use is Games > Music > Movies. Althought overall my main concern is clear and clean bass while listening to music. I have a pretty wide range in taste, anywhere from heavier rock (Disturbed), to soft acoustic to jazz. I'm looking to get the best subwoofer I can for under $300.00 shipped. Please give any recommendations! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 19
I'm not sure how well it does in music, but the Klipsch RW-12d is bound to come up in your research.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

I'm not sure how well it does in music, but the Klipsch RW-12d is bound to come up in your research.

I've actually previously owned this subwoofer (lost in a divorce). It was an okay sub for movies but certainly was nothing to write home about for music. There is a local shop selling 2 good condition Velodyne - DLS3750R which I am currently debating on. He's selling for $260.00 so I'm not sure how good of a deal this is.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I have an old Velodyne VA 1012X that i just replaced with Dual SVS PB1000's. I originally bought it for its musicality.

I am still keeping it and plan to try to up the Power. But I must say for a 80 watt amp this sub played nice tight bass to its somewhat outdated low of 35hz. It would hit 25 but at about 6-10db lower than 35 at same volume setting.

So I think those Velodynes for sale locally would be a good deal. Have you listened to them?

Athanasios
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

I have an old Velodyne VA 1012X that i just replaced with Dual SVS PB1000's. I originally bought it for its musicality.

I am still keeping it and plan to try to up the Power. But I must say for a 80 watt amp this sub played nice tight bass to its somewhat outdated low of 35hz. It would hit 25 but at about 6-10db lower than 35 at same volume setting.

So I think those Velodynes for sale locally would be a good deal. Have you listened to them?

Athanasios

I've not listened to them or any Velodyne subwoofer yet.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Emotiva's discontinued Ultra series 10" and 12"sealed subs are great with music in smaller rooms and will handle movies as well. I am currently running an Ultra 10 sub in my 11'x15' bedroom paired with Audioengine A5s and it sounds fantastic. If you can find one used, it comes with a 5 year transferable warranty.

You can check Audiogon for great used subs:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings?filter_category_id=30

You can also check AVS forums own classified section as well

If you don't mind stretching you budget a little you could opt for one of HSU's smaller ported subs such as the STF-2 which is known to handle music quite well in small to medium sized rooms:

http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Are you within driving distance of Washington, DC? If so, pm me; I have an Emotiva Ultra Sub12 (2011) for sale.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ended up getting a brand new in a box Velodyne DLS 3750r at a local shop for $280 after tax.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Tell us what you think of it when you get the chance
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

So far I am happy with it. Immediately a recognizable difference from my old sub, as mentioned I previously owned the rw12d my impression would be the Velo is far more musically inclined. I haven't found that exact punch that Klipsch can have for rock but I've pretty much just placed it and haven't tested different locations yet.

Diana Kral - A case of you (live) Sub added a lot of depth here, brought out life in her voice.
Pink Floyd - money.... I'm impressed with how well the sub plays the bass line, it isn't muddy at all and it's a perfect add on to my speakers when I a/b this song with and without the sub.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - suck my kiss.... Ok so the bass hits pretty good in this song, I'm impressed with the quickness of the sub, in past experience I've heard subs that seem to get 'bogged down'

First impressions are good and I already know for the fact that my main concern was music I think this was a good purchase. Does anybody have advice on the easiest way to locate a good position of a sub?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page