Built stands for my Velodyne VX-11s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Picked up a pair of VX-11s for $229 to go in my small condo. I wanted to use both but keep the noise transferred to my upstairs neighbors as low as possible. Started looking at SubDudes but I couldn't stomach the idea of spending $100 for stands for $230 worth of speakers. Started looking at other threads and what materials I had around, and here's what I came up with. Spent a total of $30 out of pocket (had some of the stuff like the sound deadening foam around already). Here's what I came up with. I think it's fairly self explanatory but if anyone has any questions, feel free! I based the measurement of the MDF off Velodyne's spec (11x17 IIRC) but it's actually a little bit too long. I'd take an inch off of the depth if I did it again. Started building the stands before I actually had the subs, so their measurement was all I had to go on.

My carpeting job isn't great and the flash makes them look a little worse than they do in person. They blend in well and look fine to the casual observer. I've been crazy busy and just wanted to get them done quickly.

I didn't bother using the subs without the stands, so I can't really comment on their actual effectiveness, but the setup sounds great, very balanced, no localization or boominess. I'd call that a good result even without a control.

In place:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I have a couple of VX10's. Very cool. If I ever replace my carpeting for flooring I might consider something similar. Have you considered turning this into a business? Let me know if you do! wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

BTW, where's the other sub located?

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Probably not worth trying to sell them, not enough profit margin in it after materials + shipping vs. SubDudes with free shipping. I'm crazy busy with work, full time college, and a 3 yr old son too.

Other sub will be diagonally opposite the one that's pictured, behind the left of the couch which you can't see. (added a quick pic)

post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looks Great! Thanks for the follow up with a post on your build!
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orced4door View Post

Thanks! Probably not worth trying to sell them, not enough profit margin in it after materials + shipping vs. SubDudes with free shipping. I'm crazy busy with work, full time college, and a 3 yr old son too.

Other sub will be diagonally opposite the one that's pictured, behind the left of the couch which you can't see. (added a quick pic)

Get it patented, and sell the design!

Ian biggrin.gif

post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, I basically just ripped off a SubDude on the cheap, not much patent worthy here. But thanks smile.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4orced4door View Post

Haha, I basically just ripped off a SubDude on the cheap, not much patent worthy here. But thanks smile.gif

On the cheap, is the point. Give them a run for the money! (This coming from a former sales and marketing pro lol.)

Ian biggrin.gif

post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 153
A few months ago I built some sub riser. It is a fun project and like you cheaper than buying a couple of subdudes. I found that my sub were louder and cleaner, it did not decouple them from the floor DSCN0869.JPG 590k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0869.JPG (589.7 KB, 15 views)

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM

How much benefit is there in something like a sub riser for a front firing sub like my Dayton?
post #10 of 11 Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 153
The use of riser is controversal. Some people say they help and others say they don't. The can be used with any sub. The major problem with LF is that it is transmitted thru the walls, ceiling and floor. The riser will help with vertical room modes and some vibrations related to things like wood floors to help stablize the sub.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #11 of 11 Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

The use of riser is controversal. Some people say they help and others say they don't.
If the riser is effective it's only in the midrange, and only on a bare floor. Putting a piece of this under it would work just as well:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202015909&R=202015909#.UP66YGeYUYc
Quote:
The major problem with LF is that it is transmitted thru the walls, ceiling and floor
+1, and if isolation worked the way makers of isolation devices claim there would be no transmission though the walls and ceilings, since the sub doesn't contact them.
Quote:
The riser will help with vertical room modes
-1. Lifting a sub by even six inches won't affect ten foot and longer wavelengths.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Velodyne Vx 11

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page