bose - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a non bose sub that is compatible with bose cube speakers. Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Most Bose cubes need to be hooked up to the Bose bass module to work properly. Those cubes can't handle a lower crossover point that most external subs work best at and can ruin your receiver. Best to sell the Bose and start over or keep what you have.
mtn-tech likes this.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofAZ1 View Post

Most Bose cubes need to be hooked up to the Bose cube to work properly. Those cubes can't handle a lower crossover point that most external subs work best at and can ruin your receiver. Best to sell the Bose and start over or keep what you have.
+1. If you want to get into the engineering details you'll find them here:
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

+1. If you want to get into the engineering details you'll find them here:
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Good read, this puts into words and graphs what I heard 10 years ago when my ex bought one of these systems.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
post #5 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM

I hope that isn't the sole reason she is your ex!
post #6 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoon View Post

It would be sufficient. biggrin.gif
Anodyne likes this.

post #7 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoon View Post

No, not the only reason...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

It would be sufficient. biggrin.gif

It should have been....Would have saved me a few years of agony...

Live and LEARN...

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
post #8 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

My mother tried to give me her Bose Lifestyle 15 system. I told her to give it to my brother. I hate my brother.
blake18 and Anodyne like this.
post #9 of 32 Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

My mother tried to give me her Bose Lifestyle 15 system. I told her to give it to my brother. I hate my brother.
I would give Bose to my worst enemy, that is just to cruel.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #10 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I think this says a lot (aside from the cheap materials, poor cabinet design, etc):
Quote:
To reiterate the above, the Acoustimass's bass module responds to 46 Hz to 202 Hz at ±2.3 dB, while the satellites respond to 280 Hz to 13.3 KHz at ±10.5 dB. This is, by the way, the only speaker that I have ever seen tested with a ±10.5 db allowance. Still, this leaves a frequency gap between the satellites and bass module of about 80 Hz! That is 80 hertz of sound that is completely erased within the system's internal crossovers! I wonder how Bose figured out which 80 hertz matters least in the audible spectrum? I will say though that this gap accounts for a huge loss in midrange sound, which is responsible for the majority contralto, baritone, and tenor vocals in music, and many sound effects in home theater. And let us not forget that the Acoustimass system also ignores audible signal from 20Hz to 45Hz on the low end (deep bass), and 13KHz to 20KHz on the high end (high treble). Do the math folks, this Bose system only produces 13,176 of the 19,980 Hertz in the audible sound spectrum. That's roughly 66% of the actual recording being played back to you!

That is just nuts... You are just simply missing so much with these speakers...
post #11 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
I'm subscribing to this just to show my friends how much garbage Bose is.
post #12 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I don't think as poorly as most of you about Bose. Their products are overpriced but some of them have received good reviews. The Bose LCD TV got a good review from Consumer Reports. I know lots of you don't give Consumer Reports much respect. $5,000 for their TV is crazy, but there is a group of (well heeled clients who buy Bose).

If it wasn't so expensive I would like to have the big Bose Wave Radio.

Most people don't know that Bose has produced noise reducing headphones that were used both in aircraft and Abrams tanks. I don't think that their headphones are still used by the military.

I could tell you more but it is really useless. My sister has Bose noise canceling headphones and she likes them a lot.

I wouldn't spend the money on their products but you would not believe the customer satisfaction ratings. I saw data and Bose has very high customer loyalty.

The market is big enough for products from Bose as well as true subs and speakers:)
post #13 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Most people don't know that Bose has produced noise reducing headphones that were used both in aircraft and Abrams tanks. I don't think that their headphones are still used by the military.
Quote:
A few years back, the United States Air Force signed Bose onto a multi-million-dollar contract to design noise cancellation headsets for Air Force flight crews. Bose won the contract over two other companies simply because of their "more established name" (brand recognition). The concept of a noise cancellation headset is to actively monitor the noise frequencies emitted from a jet engine and the turbulent wind, and reproduce the exact signal 180 degrees out of phase, thus theoretically canceling it out completely. Many reputable manufacturers have successful done so as well. Bose produced a model that cost approximately $1000 per unit, which failed to cancel out a significant amount of noise. The company used the contract as an opportunity to unload obsolete parts from years back. Bose pawned off thousands of outdated interface connectors for which there were no longer commercially available mating jacks, and incorporated them into the headsets. The Air Force, proud as it was, didn't scrap the project, but instead spent countless millions more replacing the consoles in a number of aircraft to make them compatible with the said headsets. In the end though, the Air Force did terminate the contract when test crews found that the headsets were ineffective and non-durable. This whole mess was created over a brand name's alleged reputation and prestige.

The Air Force gave up on them because they were "ineffective and non-durable"

I don't have a problem with Bose, I just know there's more bang for the buck out there...

post #14 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 45
I told myself a long time ago that I would never buy a Bose HT. I was at a local pawn shop looking for Klipsch Reference speakers to add to the collection and ran across a Bose 1-2-3 II for $400. I offered them $200 and they took it. Not as bad as many people say but definitely not worth what they charge, maybe worth 1/3 of what they charge. I am happy spending $200 on a little system for my bedroom.

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
post #15 of 32 Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Bose seems to cater to woman and not men so I use this acronym for Bose "Beyatch Order Something Else".
post #16 of 32 Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:

Bose seems to cater to woman and not men so I use this acronym for Bose "Beyatch Order Something Else".

"No Highs, No Lows, It Must be BOSE" biggrin.gif
mtn-tech likes this.
post #17 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

I seriously laughed my ass off reading this.
UofAZ1 likes this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #18 of 32 Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
See p.22 of this from 1989 about the Bose SE-5

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/pdf/bass/BASS-17-06-9005.pdf

Note that other sat/sub systems discussed in this article favor well.
post #19 of 32 Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post

See p.22 of this from 1989 about the Bose SE-5

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/pdf/bass/BASS-17-06-9005.pdf

Note that other sat/sub systems discussed in this article favor well.

I take your point, however, it is possible that the Bose sub/sat systems (especially the more expensive ones) have an improved frequency responose. The article you quote is 14 years old. IIRC, the ever hated Consumer Reports has given pretty good ratings to one or more of the Bose systems.

What people here never seem to acknowledge is that Bose is not made for hobbiests and audiophiles. Bose sells a lot of products to well heeled people who want to just plug and play unobtrusive products.

I owned the original Bose 901 and it performed as advertised. But after a while I got tired of hearing the piano coming from the ceiling. I also couldn't get the best bass response from my 901's because of the 20 db bass boost in the equalizer. I needed 200 watts per channel and way back then only had 45 watts per channel.

There is room in the marketplace for products like Bose.
post #20 of 32 Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I take your point, however, it is possible that the Bose sub/sat systems (especially the more expensive ones) have an improved frequency responose.
They have not gotten any better.
Quote:
What people here never seem to acknowledge is that Bose is not made for hobbiests and audiophiles. Bose sells a lot of products to well heeled people who want to just plug and play unobtrusive products.
I acknowledge that, as do most of us here. What we try to bring to the attention of potential buyers is that they can get what Bose offers with other brands for half the Bose price, if not less. If Bose charged what their products are worth I'd have no problem with them at all. You don't see us ragging on Cambridge Audio.

post #21 of 32 Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 AM

there is one thing that Bose do well is advertising, most consumers do not listen to speakers before they buy, and because of frequent advertising on TV most consumers are under the impression that Bose is the number one audio and they buy a lot of their product. I was bad mouthing Bose at work and my co-workers were offended by what I said about Bose. People are brainwashed by false advertisements.
post #22 of 32 Old 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Very funny thread! Like others, I also always say "No highs, no lows, must be Bose". I recently attended an event that had a Bose L1 / B1 speaker setup - we were looking up the price on our phones and actually laughing that someone had spent thousands of dollars on this "PA" system and it sounded like crap! A portable JBL system that my friend has costs half as much and sounds twice as good. The only Bose product I would ever consider is their headphones - decent sound and very comfortable for long listening.

Quote:

"Well heeled" people who don't want to know anything about sound quality or learn what it can be - more concerned about impressing the Jones's by product name dropping. You know what they say about fools and their money. There are many other products that cost less, sound better, and are exactly the same in terms of "plug and play" - they just don't have the name that Bose has (Tivoli, Cambridge, etc)

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #23 of 32 Old 10-10-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

Box Of Sh!tty Equipment. Lol
steve nn and burntreality like this.
post #24 of 32 Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 460
I know a guy that thinks he knows everything and he loves to talk audio and video with me. The guy can talk and when he starts, get ready, cause it never ends, I rarely get a word in. He just praises bose and tells me about how much he paid for his bose system and what not. He has some bose system with a dvd and like 15 cubes. He is waiting for bose to put out a blu ray system so he can upgrade. I think it was a couple of months ago we were talking and bose was still selling a dvd system for like $1700 or maybe even $2700, just something outrages, just an unbelievable price. I tried to tell him I could build him a way better system for that money, but he just shrugs it off. I am tempted to invite him over my house and give him a life changing H/T moment. biggrin.gif
steve nn likes this.
post #25 of 32 Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Box Of Sh!tty Equipment. Lol
That's a good one! I like that!

-Ben
post #26 of 32 Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Surprised I haven't seen the usual one in my posse:

Buy Other Sound Equipment
post #27 of 32 Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordotcom View Post

there is one thing that Bose do well is advertising, most consumers do not listen to speakers before they buy, and because of frequent advertising on TV most consumers are under the impression that Bose is the number one audio and they buy a lot of their product. I was bad mouthing Bose at work and my co-workers were offended by what I said about Bose. People are brainwashed by false advertisements.

Very true. Those in-store demos of Bose surround systems are the other reason that people think those little cube speakers actually sound good. They have an action scene on "loop" with lots of high frequency and low bass to impress people in a 3 minute demo - these demos hide the fact that these systems don't have any mid-bass and are very mediocre for dialog intelligibility. They sell them as "easy to setup" and people think they sound good enough so they buy them without really listening to material they like or are familiar with.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #28 of 32 Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 428
I remember the days when I used to go into malls and always find myself at the Bose outlet. I felt it was somewhat of my duty to let sales know what they’re selling and how lackluster their product is compared to what can be had for the same $$. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif Another little trick they had (so I hear) is that they used to hook up other gear to what they had for a demo to make it sound better in some outlets??

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #29 of 32 Old 10-11-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Another little trick they had (so I hear) is that they used to hook up other gear to what they had for a demo to make it sound better in some outlets??
Their dedicated sound rooms are wired with peripheral gear hidden out of the sight of consumers.

post #30 of 32 Old 10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

People here would be surprised at the Customer Loyalty of Bose owners. In a document that I used to have, Bose Customer Loyalty exceeded that of Apple, IBM and others. Bose was in fact the highest in Customer Loyalty.

Their products are very expensive. Part of that is the ubiquitous advertising. How much is a full page ad in the AARP magazine?

Steve nn mentions Bose Outlet stores. They sell refurbs at a discount, and certain times of the year they take another 10% off, (on refurbs only)

When Bose brought out their 47 inch LCD TV for about $4,500, I thought it would be discontinued after a short time. Instead, Bose now sells a 55 inch LCD TV for about $6,000, in addition to the 47 inch LCD TV.

It is a matter of Bose not aiming its products at hobbiests or audio/videophiles
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page