Advice and/or Help with International Transportation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Friends, I am travelling to India in a month's time. I am planning to take these with me to present as gift to my father who is a musician.

Things to be transported are:

1. Klipsch SW311
2. Denon AVR 4311Ci (bought from best buy from the shelf hence no box)

Some people told me that I can take them in the original boxes and that's the safest way. Unfortunately, I do not have the original boxes with me and hence worried to take these by flight in a suitcase.

I am taking klipsch gallery speakers in suitcases.

In terms of packing ideas: I also googled and found this on youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1_qdExsVYo

But, not sure whether this is the best method. I live in Boston, Mass. and could not find anyone who does this.

I am also willing to buy/burrow if any one of you have your original boxes. I will mail them again back to you if it is a borrowing mode. I will also put security deposit.

Please advise. Please kindly help.

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 801
Buy a Pelican case of a suitable size and be done with it. Nothing better than Pelican cases. This size should work well for your personal international shipping needs.

By comparison to alternatives, expensive, yes, but guaranteed to meet the rigors of TSA and the underbelly of a jet passenger liner. I recommend taking this as carry on. Baggage handlers are know to be rightfully brutal as they get things to the jetliner on time.

If going carry on, one might consider a much less expensive rolling carry on suitcase that meets both carry on standards and the interior size requirements necessary to hold an unboxed 4311ci.

If staying in India for a prolonged period of time, in advance, UPS ship insured, your cloths and any other unbreakable items to your father's home and only bring the AVR, breakable items and a few days change of clothing for if your flight gets held up.

Hope the above helps get you started in the idea department.

-
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 505
I've shipped a few pieces of electronics that I've sold (SHO-10s, an OPPO DVD player, an HK integrated amp, etc.) and I've had excellent success with wrapping an item in may layers of bubble wrap and placing it in a sturdy box, with additional bubble-wrap "pads" (and/or even dollar-store sponges) placed strategically between the wrapped item and the interior of the box. (Not the most elegant solution, I admit, but I've never received a complaint about any damage to anything I've shipped. smile.gif )

Additional measures: Using pieces of styrofoam at the inside corners of the box to protect the corners of the item, and double-boxing (with bubble-wrap "pads" between the inner and outer box).

Good boxes and rolls of bubble-wrap can be purchased at hardware stores and "moving & storage" stores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks to you both.

I planned on taking these subwoofer and Denon receiver as checked in luggage as follows: Please correct me.

Klipsch SW311 Subwoofer (18Kgs approx.) container and packing:

Container: High Sierra Evolution 34" Drop Bottom Wheeled Duffel
Link: http://www.ebags.com/product/high-sierra/evolution-34-drop-bottom-wheeled-duffel/235469?productid=10194498&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=55583734&CAWELAID=1329303782&adtype=pla&gclid=COfC7vqGibUCFdOf4Aod4mkAiQ
weight: 4 kgs,
Dimensions 34" x 17.5" x 15.5"

So, In total the total weight is 22 kgs and remaining 1kg weight is for bubble wrapping and foams.

Denon AVR 4311Ci (approx. 18 Kgs) and thinking of packing in Samsonite Hyperspace 30.5 inch suitcase:

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Luggage-Hyperspace-Expandable-Suitcase/dp/B006QO3U6A
Dimensions: 11 x 30.5 x 20 inches ; 14.2 pounds

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am planning on buying the following packing materials:

A). Corner protectors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Foam-Corner-Protectors-provides-protection-between-inner-and-master-cartons-/251155865586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7a0e5ff2

B). Polyethylene Foam 12" x 2" x 1" Density 1.7PCF New Great protection

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Polyethylene-Foam-12-x-2-x-1-Density-1-7PCF-New-Great-protection-/290837497111?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D5032787970576988285%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D251155865586%26

C). RECYCLED FOAM BLOCK PACKING SHIPPING CASE PROTECTION PAD MEDIUM DENSITY THICK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-RECYCLED-FOAM-BLOCK-PACKING-SHIPPING-CASE-PROTECTION-PAD-MEDIUM-DENSITY-THICK-/290823253065?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b66aac49

D). RECYCLED FOAM PACKING SHIPPING PROTECTION THICK WAVE-CUT CUSHION PAD BLOCK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-RECYCLED-FOAM-PACKING-SHIPPING-PROTECTION-THICK-WAVE-CUT-CUSHION-PAD-BLOCK-/290660392474?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D290823253065%26ps%3D54

Finally, Is there any other cheap way to get these packing material?. I have already purchased bubble wrap (big bubbles).

Many thanks to you all
post #5 of 5 Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Buy a Pelican case of a suitable size and be done with it. Nothing better than Pelican cases. This size should work well for your personal international shipping needs.

By comparison to alternatives, expensive, yes, but guaranteed to meet the rigors of TSA and the underbelly of a jet passenger liner. I recommend taking this as carry on. Baggage handlers are know to be rightfully brutal as they get things to the jetliner on time.

If going carry on, one might consider a much less expensive rolling carry on suitcase that meets both carry on standards and the interior size requirements necessary to hold an unboxed 4311ci.

If staying in India for a prolonged period of time, in advance, UPS ship insured, your cloths and any other unbreakable items to your father's home and only bring the AVR, breakable items and a few days change of clothing for if your flight gets held up.

Hope the above helps get you started in the idea department.

-

The receiver itself is close to 40 pounds, can this be taken as a Carry-on luggage? Because of the restrictions, I am asking this question.

Also, Can we take small speakers as Carry-on luggage?

Thanks
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page