If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It... If You're Me, & It's Slightly Broken, Still... Don't Fix it. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I had to take a Sony SA-WM500 active sub-woofer (http://store.sony.com/p/SA-WM500/en/p/SAWM500), from Best Buy a few years back when I blew the sub that matched my Cerwin Vega floor speakers (I got the CV set-up for super cheap as BB was discontinuing it from their product line) and used my warranty. It was no replacement for the Cerwin Vega sub... I love my Sony Receiver, DVD player, and PS3... but my experience with this sub was that Sony can't make subs worth poop. I was busy moving around the country soon after and didn't even have it in my possession from 2006 to 2007. The sub always made this fart-like noise, the shield would never stay on, and it just didn't 'hound' like the Cerwin Vega did. I recently showed it to the guy who installed my parents' new "super-system" as part of their house remodeling and "showing me they weren't as broke as they told me I had made them" project (ha). He listened... affirmed that the sub didn't sound right, and suggested that I take some methamphetamine, turn on a techno song on repeat, and take the box apart and in all likelihood, I would find a wire loose in the box (okay, he only told me to take the box apart and look for the loose wire). So, I carefully took the amp apart enough to gain access to the box (didn't use one of those 'grounding' bracelets though... frown.gif no good, I know). When I got into the box, I only found two wire bundles that were nowhere near the sub-woofer. I still used electrical tape and stuck them to the sides of the box... reassembled it & the amp, and patted myself on the back. Mission accomplished... if my mission was to make a slightly annoying, but bearable and functional sub-woofer into trash. The sub-woofer turns on still... but the only sound I get from it are the "fart" noises when the volume is turned all the way up and a deep bass note is hit. Otherwise... it is a sub, as in a silent vehicle that I want to throw into the ocean (not filling it with seamen first though). What might I have done here? Is there any hope of recovery? How much could I sell this for as is? How much would a new amp/power source cost? Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, offers (repair or purchase), or even laughs at my stupidity or my multitude of stupid puns will be appreciated. Thanks!

~f.xy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
The sub-woofer turns on still... but the only sound I get from it are the "fart" noises when the volume is turned all the way up and a deep bass note is hit.
Sounds like you converted your Sony into a Polk PSW10! biggrin.gif

I'd toss the Sony and get something better. Assuming you want something better an not just another fart-box. wink.gif
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 11
If you have the gain on your sub turned all the way to the maximum no wonder it sounds like crap... your probably clipping or overdriving the subwoofer.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Before and after the DIY repair, I tried adjusting everything from the frequency cut-off, the phase, and the level to no avail. The gain has to be at max to get any sound now that I 'broke' it. I guess what I am asking is... how can I tell if I fried the amp (like with an Ohm meter or something)? The speaker itself has no tears or scratches, so I doubt the trouble lies there.. The whole situation baffles me. Thanks for the help y'all.

Peace,
~f.xy
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page