Sub Suggestions for Focal System (SVS, HSU, PSA, Rythmik, ?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I’m looking for a sub for my family room HT/music system, which now consists of Focal Chorus 814 V fronts (6.5” 2.5 way) and a Focal Chorus CC814 V center (6.5 2 way) (rears to be decided later, but probably NHT Super Ones). The system is on a 24’ wall and faces an 18’ long room with 8’ ceilings. I’d like to keep the price under $1500, closer to $1000 if possible, but want a sub that will do the speakers justice and be appropriate for the room size. I'm most interested in tight, accurate bass.

I’m also interested in the upcoming JL Audio E-112, but I guess it’s not out yet, despite being announced over a year ago, which seems odd. Which of the following subs (or others) would you recommend for me and why? Thanks in advance.

dual SVS SB12-NSD
HSU ULS-15
Power Sound XS30
Rythmik F15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Liked: 10
I think all of the Subs you are considering are very good.

Here is the decision I made below from a thread I created in the Subwoofer Forum on this site.

After extensive evaluation of about 10 different Top Subs, I chose the Rythmik FV15 HP with the Silver. The Submersive was my second pick which is also a great Sub. I personally wanted to best Sounding Sub for Music and that is why i chose the Rythmik FV15 HP . The reviews I read and the people I chated with on this site and other sites thought that the Rythmik FV15 HP with one port Open Sounded the best for Music. Most people who had heard or owned both the Submersive and the Rythmik FV15 HP said that they love both but that the Rythmik FV15 HP had an edge in Sound Quality for Music and the Submersive had an edge for Movies. I also got feedback that they are also 2 of the best looking Subs. I can tell you that the Rythmik FV15 HP in Piano Black gloss with the Silver cone looks awesome. I had a party and people were like wow that Sub looks as good as it sounds. I am working with one now and will be ordering another in Feb. I like to have two so I get more of a Stereo sound. It can fill my 22x16 room with High Quality Loud Bass but I am very tough to please when it comes to Music so to me Stereo Subs sound better than a single Sub.

I had the new Batman movie on and when it came to the Football Stadium scene my Wife thought we were having an Earthquake and she was on the 3rd level of the House and the house is built very strong.

I suggest you decide what is important to you and make your choices based on the most important decision crtiteria to you and your Family

Best of luck,

AK

This is what I wrote to Archaea who is one of the most knowledgable people on this site on Subs.

Archaea,

People on this site seem to think you know what you are talking about and seem to take your recommendations seriously.
Your background shows that you have alot of experience judging subwoofers, you attended alot of Sub Shoot Outs and owned alot of Subwoofers, I took that into consideration when I made my decision.
By the way, I did listen and read everyone's recommendations along with other Website reviews and things posted including Archaea's
recommended list of Subwoofers below:

You say that you heard the FV15 HP and the Caps and you recommend the FV15 HP in my price range.

Subs in red designate models I've heard in person.

Archaea Pricepoint / Recommendation

$100 - Monoprice 12" (discontinued?)
$200 - BIC F12
$300 - Klipsh RW-12D (indicates discontinued price but often available)
$400 - ED A2-300 (ED may be in trouble, use caution if buying from them currently - 8/18/2012)
$500 - Rythmik FV12
$600 - Outlaw LFM1-EX
$700 - HSU VTF-3
$800 - Epik Empire
$1,000- HSU VTF-15H
$1,333 - Rythmik FV15 HP
$1,666 - LMS-5400 + DIY Flat Pack + EP4000 Amp
$2,000 - JTR Captivator (passive) + EP4000 Amp
$2,500 - Seaton Submersive HP
$3,000 - JTR Captivator S2 or JTR Orbit Shifter
Price no object? - to my experience there isn't much value in spending more than $3000 on a subwoofer...

Keep in mind that I also talked with other people who heard both Submersives and the FV15 HP and they raved about both of them. I could not find anyone who said they liked the Submersives better than the FV15 HP for Music but did find some who said they liked the Submersives better for Movies because of the additional power and output. Keep in mind they never said they sounded better, they said they liked the additional power and output and for my room that additional power and output is more than what I need. Once I realized that the Dual FV15 HP's even had more output than what I needed for my 22X16 room I considered other Subs at a lower price range but I did not find any other Sub lower priced with as good Sound Quality as the RYM. In addition, people in the reviews on this site seem to favor overall the FV15 HP and this is true from other sources as well outside of this site. So part of my loigic is that this Forum focuses only on Subs and people overall favor the FV15 HP here. There must be some good reasons why people feel this way and that should say something to everyone in this Forum.

One post said that people are giving their recommendations and people don't listen to them. I have listened to them, otherwise I would have left this site the first day. People on this site know what they are talking about. However, I am looking at several Subs whole body of work and all of the recommedations, not just one. I looked at all Subwoofer reviews I could get my eyes on, not just one. I started out thinking about Mark's subs and almost pulled the trigger until I heard about some other subs and my analysis and evaluation suddenly got much more involved with many more subs to consider. Mark's subs were just a little to much money for me and more output than what I needed. But I think they are Outstanding and have a high Quality look.

People say that the CAPS are great and I am sure they are, they have prooved it many times in many shoot outs that they are one of the best out there, but they are 30" high and look too much like the Gear I use in my Band, no offense, but I wanted a Sub that not only Sounds very impressive but also looks very impressive. The Submersive in Rosenut finish and the RYM (with the Silver Cone in Piano Black) look very impressive to me and most of the reviews I read said the same thing.

When people see my Home Theatre Speakers in person , the BG 520i, BG 220 and my brand new Revel Peforma 3's F208's, they say they look really impressive. In my mind, my new Subs should also look very impressive. I think any Sub over $1k has to look impressive and should sound dam good too . That is just my opinion.

I think I made the best choice for my Budget per Archaea list above. I am confident that I made a really good choice that no one on this site will tear apart. I can't wait to get the FV15 HP and see and hear what people are raving about.

I want to thank all the people who answered my Post. They all were very helpful.

Best Regards,

AK
post #3 of 6 Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Here's a great write up on one users impression of the new XS30.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/64133-power-sound-audio-xs30-first-impressions.html#axzz2JF9xca88

I bought duals and think they amazing for the value.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm leaning toward either the Rythmik F15HP or the PSA XS30. I like the looks of the former and that, I think, it will match my gloss black speakers, but the latter seems like a much better value with more personalized customer service. Any additional opinions?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just ordered the FV15HP gloss. Starting with one unit for my >5000 cu ft room replacing an old Velodyne 15" servo unit that served me well. Tough decision as I could have easily decided to go the F15HP route or XS30. The comments on these models are nothing but great.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

The system is on a 24’ wall and faces an 18’ long room with 8’ ceilings. I’d like to keep the price under $1500, closer to $1000 if possible, but want a sub that will do the speakers justice and be appropriate for the room size. I'm most interested in tight, accurate bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post

Thanks for the replies. At this point I'm leaning toward either the Rythmik F15HP or the PSA XS30. I like the looks of the former and that, I think, it will match my gloss black speakers, but the latter seems like a much better value with more personalized customer service. Any additional opinions?

While the F15HP is a really nice sub it's probably going to struggle in a 3500 CF room. I think the FV15HP and the XS30 would be better able to handle that much space.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page