Sub EQ Hardware question advice, Decided!! SVS AS EQ1 !! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have a system where I do not have a Built in EQ like audyssey. I am looking at a few options.

The SVS AS EQ1, if I can find one used.

One of the Behringer Feed back Destroyers.

Or the Velodyne unit.

The behringer is the less expensive unit and I
can use REW. Does the SVS unit work with REW?

I have not read the whole SVS AS EQ1 thread from start to finish, its over 200 pages long.

I also have two SVS PB 1000's

Edit, Bought the SVS on Ebay. Hope I didn't outbid a member here ! wink.gif

Athanasios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Grab the SVS AS-EQ1 if you still manage to find it. Else, the best auto-EQ in the market today is DSpeaker AntiMode.

REW works with all speaker and subwoofers.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Not sure if its still there buy I saw an AS-EQ1 for sale in the AVS classified section available for local pickup in the New York area
post #4 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM

Liked: 801
Allow me to add the need to first have an up and running room analyzing program in possession so as to be able to see a room's acoustics. Without an operational room analyzing program in one's possession, one is "never" going be able to get the best out of "any" auto-EQ appliance, program or sound meter.

Disclosure, I use a sound meter to personally measure output (calibration), a room analyzing program to see the room's acoustics (find nulls, dips and peaks), and both Anti-Mode and Audyssey, MultEQ XT to get the best out of our well placed and tuned subwoofers. Just saying.

If one is looking for options, my recommendation is to first get a room analyzing program up and running so one can see what's what with what regarding a subwoofer's interaction with a listening room's acoustics. Once a subwoofer is properly integrated into a room's acoustics, then add the EQ appliance/program. See the EQ appliance or AVR program as polish to the overall integration exercise.

Regarding REW working with a particular subwoofer, REW measures the rooms acoustics and the frequency response of a subwoofer's output measured with a pick-up microphone. REW will work with all subwoofers that are activated by any AVR, REW is connected to. REW does not EQ anything but instead, measures a rooms acoustics so you can see what EQ'g needs to be done.

Ex. If one has a Behringer Destroyer, the individual can measure a room's acoustics and based on a recorded frequency sweep provided by REW through their subwoofer, pick an offending frequency range, lower the slider, then easily take a new measurement to see how the change affected the overall acoustics in the room.

Hope the above helps.

-
post #5 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Allow me to add the need to first have an up and running room analyzing program in possession so as to be able to see a room's acoustics. Without an operational room analyzing program in one's possession, one is "never" going be able to get the best out of "any" auto-EQ appliance, program or sound meter.

Disclosure, I use a sound meter to personally measure output (calibration), a room analyzing program to see the room's acoustics (find nulls, dips and peaks), and both Anti-Mode and Audyssey, MultEQ XT to get the best out of our well placed and tuned subwoofers. Just saying.

If one is looking for options, my recommendation is to first get a room analyzing program up and running so one can see what's what with what regarding a subwoofer's interaction with a listening room's acoustics. Once a subwoofer is properly integrated into a room's acoustics, then add the EQ appliance/program. See the EQ appliance or AVR program as polish to the overall integration exercise.

Regarding REW working with a particular subwoofer, REW measures the rooms acoustics and the frequency response of a subwoofer's output measured with a pick-up microphone. REW will work with all subwoofers that are activated by any AVR, REW is connected to. REW does not EQ anything but instead, measures a rooms acoustics so you can see what EQ'g needs to be done.

Ex. If one has a Behringer Destroyer, the individual can measure a room's acoustics, based on a recorded frequency sweep provided by REW through their subwoofer, pick an offending frequency range, lower the slider and then easily take a new measurement to see how the change affected the overall acoustics in the room.

Hope the above helps.

-

Yep, I already have that Planed. I have a radio Shack SPL meter from like 20 years ago. When setting up my PB1000's I just got I used the RS SPL meter to set output levels.

But I Know I need to do a much more detailed set up. My Adcom Sub out is strange as it doesn't send a white noise test signal. So I used both the AIX test disc that came with my
Oppo and then DVE. I plan on putting a sub in the middle of the room to set Volume level with the subs control, then match the second sub in the same fashion.

I have been reading up on REW, will down load it today and play with it. I will get the Behringer sound card( least expensive I found).

Right now I have a single sub line level cable to the sub's split wiuth a Y cable. The AS EQ1 can control multiple subs individually I am told. So now I'll have to run a second line to the second sub correct? Or can i still go with how I have it now? I think a second run of cable would be best.

@Kesando, yes I saw that as well but I got this for 480 biggrin.gif Not bad I think considering what it can do. And I wanted it since I plan on Getting the new Outlaw
Pre amp.

I am sure I'll be back for help nce i get it in and begin to play with rew.

Thanks In advance Guys!

Nashou
post #6 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Troll

Liked: 44
could have supported a forum member and just bought it off the classifieds here for 450 shipped =), but glad you found a unit, everyone tells me its so rare and all that stuff, but no one wants to buy it yet hah. just so happens that someone registered on the site today to inquire about my unit, i'm guessing thats the one that you outbidded.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

could have supported a forum member and just bought it off the classifieds here for 450 shipped =), but glad you found a unit, everyone tells me its so rare and all that stuff, but no one wants to buy it yet hah. just so happens that someone registered on the site today to inquire about my unit, i'm guessing thats the one that you outbidded.

I actually saw one on Audiogon for $545 after i won the auction not the one on AVS I miss spoke. I didn't see the AVS one for sale. Could have saved some dough!!!!

Damn it!! wink.gif

Nashou
post #8 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

I actually saw one on Audiogon for $545 after i won the auction not the one on AVS I miss spoke. I didn't see the AVS one for sale. Could have saved some dough!!!!

Damn it!! wink.gif

Nashou

Yup, $400 local pick would be sweet but I picked up one back in August around my birthday from another member here. However, these units are hard to find nowadays so I can understand you jumping on one as soon as you see it. While not perfect (my room has a nasty null around 37hz) the AS-EQ-1 made a great improvement in the performance of my subs and works great with my Pioneer receiver. Money well spent.smile.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Yup, $400 local pick would be sweet but I picked up one back in August around my birthday from another member here. However, these units are hard to find nowadays so I can understand you jumping on one as soon as you see it. While not perfect (my room has a nasty null around 37hz) the AS-EQ-1 made a great improvement in the performance of my subs and works great with my Pioneer receiver. Money well spent.smile.gif

I agree to jump on it when they are up for sale. I'm a separates kinda guy and I hate the redundancy that the modern AVR has.
Most source devised can do a lot so I don't need streaming, or netflix, pandora etc in my AVR/AVP. I just want it to do music and movies well.

That is why i am planing on the outlaw Pre/Pro model 975. I figured I can get that easier than finding an Audyssey based
AS EQ1. I know there are two nulls in my listening position just from watching the RS meter dip around 60hz and 100hz. But the 100hz is right around the cross over of the Adcom
Sub out I think. So I'll have to mess around there.

I just paid for it so hopefully it will ship out soon.

Athanasios
post #10 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

Yep, I got outbidded. So hopefully my deal with you pushes thru! =)
post #11 of 11 Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0O3N8N6 View Post

Yep, I got outbidded. So hopefully my deal with you pushes thru! =)

Sorry!! wink.gif

Nashou
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page