Using Left And Right Inputs On Sub For Two Different Devices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks, I currently have a bedroom setup with a sub, running a cable from the sub out on AVR to Left (mono) input on my Energy sub. I was wondering if I can use another cable to run from another audio device into the Right sub input and use the sub with this other device in this way? In other words, can I use my sub with 2 different devices, one connected to the Left (mono) input and one into the Right input? I wouldn't use both the AVR and the other device at the same time. Could this be hazardous to my sub? Would it even work? Was thinking of setting this other device in the same room and wanted to use the same sub. I could always run a cable from the AVR and the other device and just switch out the cables into the Left (mono) input on the sub, but it would be nice if I didn't have to keep switching the cables. I guess it boils down to whether or not the Left and Right sub inputs do the exact same thing, or is the Right supposed to be used in conjunction with the Left (mono) input to work correctly, say for instance using a splitter? My sub is the Energy S10.3. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post

Hey folks, I currently have a bedroom setup with a sub, running a cable from the sub out on AVR to Left (mono) input on my Energy sub. I was wondering if I can use another cable to run from another audio device into the Right sub input and use the sub with this other device in this way? In other words, can I use my sub with 2 different devices, one connected to the Left (mono) input and one into the Right input? I wouldn't use both the AVR and the other device at the same time. Could this be hazardous to my sub? Would it even work? Was thinking of setting this other device in the same room and wanted to use the same sub. I could always run a cable from the AVR and the other device and just switch out the cables into the Left (mono) input on the sub, but it would be nice if I didn't have to keep switching the cables. I guess it boils down to whether or not the Left and Right sub inputs do the exact same thing, or is the Right supposed to be used in conjunction with the Left (mono) input to work correctly, say for instance using a splitter? My sub is the Energy S10.3. Thanks for any advice.

Any reason you can't plug in this second device into your AVR and use your surround sound capabilities?
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
You could do that if the two inputs are discreet, but you'd have to see a schematic of the amp, and know how to read it, to know. Even if so the potential for ground loop noise is huge.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post

Any reason you can't plug in this second device into your AVR and use your surround sound capabilities?

Yes, the other device does have RCA outs, so it does have the ability to hook right into my AVR thru analog. But I was trying to avoid the analog setup. Let me explain further what the device is. Recently I bought a Yamaha MCX-1000 MusicCast Audio Server for $20 on craigs. These suckers listed for $2200 when they came out 10 years ago. Wasn't much of a market for them and I don't think they sold that well, especially considering the high price tag. I found a guy that would put in a 750GB hard drive (it came with an 80GB), and I have been loading all my CD's (yes I still listen to them!) onto the hard drive of the MusicCast Server in PCM uncompressed format (it also automatically encodes the files into MP3 format). Very cool device and right up my alley as a great way to digitally store all my CD's in uncompressed format for higher quality playback. Anyway, the MCX-1000 isn't the device I am going to hook up to the sub in the bedroom. The MCX-1000 is downstairs in the main room, and I purchased an MCX-A10 Client from Ebay. This Client wirelessly connects to the MusicCast Server and can stream music off of the Server to any room in the house. The Client has it's own amp, or can be hooked up to an AVR with the analog RCA jacks (there is no digital out on the Client). I figure I would get better quality by streaming everything digitally to the Client and out to the speakers directly from the Client, instead of going thru the analog inputs on the AVR. Not even sure it will be better quality, seeing as the AVR (Yamaha RX-A700) has a better and more powerful AMP. Was just trying to avoid another analog step in the process.

Here is a link to the Client.

Just trying to figure out the best way to set this thing up when it comes in.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page