Anyone ever hear a Tekton Subwoofer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am heavily considering buying the Pendragon L/R towers and a Pendragon Center. When talking to Tekton today they suggested I look into their sub as well for $650. Since I was already looking primarly at the HSU subs (I looked at SVS as well ...also hit Outlaw for a quick looksee and Klipsch) I had in mind what I really wanted. Something with big "bataboom" and LOW 16hz if possible...20hz at least.

I wanted something in the 700-900 dollar range.

Keep in mind I am using this primarly for HT. 90/10 HT to Music.

The design was really ...well different. When I asked about how low could the Tekton dual 12'' sub go...they guy started talking audio theory that was frankly above my head. Something about large mass to go below 20 hertz and that this was against what the company design phlosiphy is... (I am paraphrasing and he was talking WAY above my understanding of audio theory so please keep that in mind.)

After the review of the Pendragon's ...I am willing to give the guy some credit over at Tekton and he assured me...when someone finally did an indepth review of their subs they would be in a class of their own in the their price range.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1109/tekton_design_s12.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
... When talking to Tekton today they suggested I look into their sub as well for $650. ... I wanted something in the 700-900 dollar range. ... Keep in mind I am using this primarly for HT. 90/10 HT to Music. ...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1109/tekton_design_s12.htm
According to the review:
- 300W RMS
- dual 12" drivers
- 27Hz @ -?dB

Makes me wonder if it could outperform a $499 SVS PB-1000. wink.gif

You may want to have a hard look at the PSA XV-15 ($799, shipped). A well-rated, well-regarded powerhouse sub. PSA was started by two ex-SVS guys and, so far, their products and customer service are receiving tremendous praise.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have to cop to ignorance again. Someone with a better background in Audio Theory I am sure could better follow the conversation Ihad with the guys at Tekton. From what I was getting from the conversation... Musically speaking nothing could come close to their sub for their price performance wise. I don't think it was developed for the low / loud philosphy ...but the Mid bass and Lower base 25 hertz and above given it's unique design...were out of this world stellar.

Basically...again this is what I got out of it...this is like a mid-bass unit and a lower-bass unit in one.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Perhaps it has a lot of mid-bass output compared with other $650 subs, or perhaps it's designed to deliver "peaky" output (more 40-80Hz output) at the expense of extension. Dunno. But if it only goes down to 27 or 25 Hz, it's not much of a "lower-bass" unit. (IMO, 20Hz or lower is "lower-bass", especially if you're talking movies.)

It still makes me wonder whether a $499 PB-1000 could outperform it. I have a feeling that $799 PSA XV-15 would crush it...or at least severely batter it. smile.gif

Anyway, don't worry, someone else will chime in at some point with additional / better comments and suggestions. For now - as Jim Wilson might say - you'll have to be content with my "droning". wink.gif
post #5 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Liked: 12
I can see no- has heard of Tekton. Or eric alexander best speakers around. Do some web - research. H
post #6 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

From what I understand about the sub...it is more for music then HT...at least that was my take on the dual 12'' vs something bigger. Anyway...hard to play in a field when you have SVS, HSU, Rythmik, PSA, JTR and Seaton.

Just to name a few.

That could be said about speakers too...but the delta between subs is probably smaller than the delta between speakers...I am sure the bass fiends ...are going to kill me now.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I don't even see the subwoofer listed on Tekton's site and that review is from 2009, unless its a typo. I'd say skip it and go with a proven design/brands like the usual suspects.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Anyway, don't worry, someone else will chime in at some point with additional / better comments and suggestions. For now - as Jim Wilson might say - you'll have to be content with my "droning". wink.gif

Oh sure, I make one little comment about how you probably sound like your sub and I never hear the end of it... tongue.gif

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page