need help choosing the right sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some subwofer recommendations and help in choosing the right sub for my small room.

I am have a set of Wharfedale Bookshelf Speakers a Center speaker that came with my receiver, I have never used bookshelf's before, pretty much have been a headphone guy but now I am venturing out in audio. Anyway I think I needed a sub to go along with my setup to complete it and compliment my overall sound by adding some bass? Most of the sub listings I came across are too huge for my little room or cost way over $100.

I saw a few Home theater in box Subs, from Onkyo, Panasonic and Sony. So will these subs basically suck? I saw a few Sony Subwoofers from their HT systems going for next to nothing, found 2 listings for Sony-SA-WMS230 also going for next to nothing. i also read sony basically sucks in the audio department? So not sure about Sony or any of these HT audio systems. How bad are they really? I want good bass not house shaking but something Good to compliment my speakers.I prefer a smaller sub but if its bigger then it will probably be at the side of my bed and act as a bed side table tongue.gif

Anyway I dont know if I should go for them and grab a cheap sub to go along with my setup or save some money and look for some other listings like in the $100+ range or maybe a Wharfedale?

gimme some advice and feedback also what you think of the HT subs like Sony-SA-WMS230 for my room. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Effectively most subs around $100 pretty much stink.

HTIB subs from Sony, Onkyo, etc - are especially horrible.

If your budget is truly $100 you'd better look for a half price sale, or perhaps something used off craigslist or even this forum.

Wharfedales are not a bad set of speakers. You could do MUCH worse. I own Wharfedale Sapphire towers, including a pair of Sapphire bookshelves and like them. They'll sure outclass a $100 sub.

To give you an idea of why I'm not too excited about budget subs - take a look at this Pioneer SW-8 frequency response graphing I performed. Read the review - digest it. Realize how much of an utter failure this sub is compared to subs that cost $200 or $300. Yes it's double or triple the price - but it's way way way more than 2 or 3x's the performance. And we aren't talking big money here - we are talking about saving for another week or maybe even a month if you are younger --- It's worth the wait!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1401651/pioneer-sw-8-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs/0_20

Keep in mind that the SW-8 sub that reviewed so poorly is a 5 star out of 5 star rating on newegg. I guess people just don't know or care. it's definitely an audible thing - it's not like you can't tell if you listen. Just depends on how much you like listening to music and watching movies on something that sounds good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117402

The non discerning purchaser hears lower sound and says --- yep this set out to do exactly what I wanted it to do - adds rumble. The majority of folk on this forum would most likely NOT be happy with the SW-8. I'd personally rate it about a 1 star -- 2 if I was feeling generous. I have one - I actually RMA'ed the first one because it was so bad I thought it was broken. Sad thing is - the SW-8 is significantly better than most HTIB subwoofers. A buddy of mine bought a Polk PSW10 on one of the recent sales for $80. If you haven't heard better it's great --- that's what he said to me. My response - Once you've heard better then it sounds like it's farting on nearly every note.

I personally wouldn't recommend much under $300, and then I'd recommend the Klipsch RW-12D from what I know currently to be available. That's way over your stated budget - and if you don't need that much to be happy - then ignore --- but in my mind that's about the cheapest budget sub I've heard that would be satisfactory to me. If you trust the newegg reviewers than the SW-8 is all the rave. biggrin.gif

The BIC F12 at $199 is so much a better sub than the SW-8 that any comparison is utterly pointless. The SW-8 taxes out at about 85dB max. The BIC F12 at about 115dB. Both falter a bit above 30hz, but you could actually enjoy watching a movie with the BIC F12. The RW-12D I mentioned earlier covers the majority of the subwoofer audible frequency spectrum for the most part and is a better subwoofer for that reason --- extending to down to 22hz or 24hz or so which is pretty outstanding at the $300 pricepoint.

This thread might be a reasonable resource to you to see what others recommend at pricepoints: I've come to realize I'm a bit of a spoiled subwoofer snob these days - but once you hear a good sub - it's hard to go back and get any excitement boiled up about inexpensive offerings.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425179/the-subwoofer-recommendation-by-pricepoint-thread/0_20

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM

I'm not an audiophile. I have the Polk PSW10 and for 84 bucks it sounds pretty damn good. I also have the Hsu VTF-15H and that thing is a monster but cost 1000 bucks. Take a look at Hsu smaller subs.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

biggrin.gif I am looking at local used listings, so I may be able to get a used $300 - $400 Sub for around $100 - $200. I am also not an audiophile, I cant justify spending $500 - $1000 on a sub for my small bedroom, I actually got these Wharfedales with this receiver I bought so wanted to add something to compliment my speakers. I don't listen to Hip hop so house shaking bass is not important. Just want something decent to go with my speakers and add some bass. But I dont want it to sound like Fart though. Was really hoping I could get away with using something much cheaper and still sound nice.frown.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 09:22 PM

You might be surpised how nice the Polk sounds for the price.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM

For 300 bucks you could get a new Hsu STF-1, downfiring 8" sub.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

All the Polk subs that I found locally are going for around $250 - $300+ that's for used stuff eek.gif

I really like the Hsu STF-1, how is it? did you listen to it? or anybody here listened to it? I might look into that...

Also found some late model subs, mostly jap home theater systems, How are Sanyo stuff? Found a Sanyo Model SX DJ5 SB, Pretty tall sub. Its the one that looks kinda like a computer on the very right. I can get it for a few bucks, what do you think?

post #8 of 12 Old 01-29-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 661
junk

but it is active (powered) if dirt cheap you could try it out and throw it in the garage if it's especially terrible.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #9 of 12 Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

anyway to wire a passive subwoofer in there? I'm still looking, friend actually gave me a cambridge subwoofer but its passive, do dunno...
post #10 of 12 Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Birdman74 View Post

anyway to wire a passive subwoofer in there? I'm still looking, friend actually gave me a cambridge subwoofer but its passive, do dunno...

a passive sub needs an amp to make sound.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I got an idea, what do you say I get that cheap sub, ditch the sub inside it and replace it with the 30W or 20W Cambridge Sub I have in the Sub my friend gave me? Can I do that? can I lower the sub output from 100W to around 30W to match my new sub? that should improve it right?
post #12 of 12 Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

So actually bought a Yamaha YST SW 200 earlier today off a guy who was selling it locally for around $60. eek.gif

Its has dual 8" subs and its got a remote too! pretty cool stuff I know cool.gif

thanks for the help folks, the camera on my iphone doesn't work anymore but here's a pic from online, this is the one I got. biggrin.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page