Denon AVR 487 SUBWOOFER - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this were a few years back, I would have tossed the system and bought a newer, better toy. However, after two kids, I'm broke.

I have a Dennon AVR 487 5.1 system from some years back. It has done well ver the years, but a few weeks ago it stopped responding. The subwoofer will not 'wake'. I'd like to fix it, before accepting that I will need to live without a subwoofer.

I think I've tried everything but the red light stays on and never goes green - checked fuse on outside of woofer (I wonder if there is an internal fuse to the amp???), tried different RCA cables, tried every different setting possible, including crossover settings, etc..., reset the Dennon receiver, plugged the RCA cable into different ports on receiver (tape, DVD, etc...), switched speakers to small and large, and nothing works.

Unfortunately I don't have another receiver or woofer to cross test to see if its the receiver or woofer, but the other speakers are working fine. Unplugged it for a few minutes - nothing!

The thing just seems dead. I ran my fingers across the RCA cable from the receiver to see if I could at least get a thump or scratch - nothing!!!!!!

I can't afford a different system or subwoofer - wife and pocketbook both say NO.

Does anyone know if there is an internal fuse for the amp? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your response. The only thing I had to test it on was a 1999 Awai Stereo system with the "L" and "R" stereo jack inputs. It did not kick on.

I figured I would take it apart, which was easy of course. I notice the following: TT0860401430-E. 150-e0865005-e. Built in thermal fuse.

I wonder if this fuse is blown? Is the fuse easy to access? Is it the transformer compartment? I found this discussion, and I don't want to go that route. I would just have to go without!

http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/5h25x-klipsch-ksw-200-powered-12-subwoofer-died-replaced-fuse.html
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page