Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi~

My current set up is:

Energy RC Micro 5 pack
Polk PSW10 subwoofer
HK 1700 AVR

Last week my dad came by to help me set this up and he told me he had a PSB Subsonic 2i subwoofer that would blow away my Polk. He said that the amplifier on the PSB needs to be repaired and the woofer was in great condition. I looked for an amp to repair the sub and it'll cost about $130. I value everyone's expertise on this forum and was curious to know if you guys thought it'd be worth it to repair vs. keeping my Polk. He told me the sub was about $600 back in 1999 but I'm wondering if the technology makes any difference over the years. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
What amp did you find as a replacement? Or are you actually getting the original amp repaired? With the proper amp for the sub likely would be a much better sub than the Polk. Wrong amp maybe not.

post #3 of 9 Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Here's the amp we found as a replacement: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-803&utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

We will not be getting the original amp repaired. Can you explain why it will be better than the Polk? Thanks.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

What I meant was how did you particularly match that amp to that sub? Plate amps are not created equally, not just in size, but some are tweaked for specific response by the sub manufacturer. It may be a reasonably good choice, and seems to have a few tweaks available to the user, I was just wondering how you arrived at your decision. I couldn't find much info on the 2i in any case.

Generally I think a higher quality 12" sub will beat out that low end Polk 10" without actually hearing either...

post #5 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Take a look at this link:

http://answers.parts-express.com/answers/2444-en_us/product/300-802/dayton-audio-sa100-100w-subwoofer-amplifier-questions-answers/questions.htm

Scroll down to the second question and someone recommends the SA 240 for this sub. This was all i could find for my research so i thought it was lucky. This is no longer available and is replaced by the SA 250. I agree with you, I think it will sound better than the Polk.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks promising. Do you know what the problem with the original amp is? One of the few things I saw when looking around elsewhere was someone mentioning the likelihood of some bad caps as a cause (of same complaint in the PE Q&A,

post #7 of 9 Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

My dad said it was the amp that was fried. Other than that I haven't looked at it myself.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You will be happy with the SPA-250 if it is a drop-in replacement for the old amp (i.e., no cutting and pasting). I have the SA-240 (predecessor to the SPA-250) and the 500w BASH amps from Parts Express that have worked flawlessly for several years (as they have for others in this forum).
post #9 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

My dad took a look at it and measured before we decided to look into this project and said it would fit perfectly. He's getting back from a trip this week and then I'll order the part and let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully I can document with some pics. Thanks for all your feedback!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page