HT newbie - "musical" sub choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After spending a few years playing with car audio and headphone setups, I decided to spend a bit of time on something different and build a decent stereo/HT setup. I've already picked up the receiver and speakers - a Marantz 5006 and Arx A5s - but I haven't decided on a sub yet.

Couple caveats - I'm doing a 2.1 setup rather than a 5.1 due to room size; I'll primarily be using this for music rather than HT (I'd say about 70/30 split for music to HT);and I want as musical and accurate a sub as possible - if that means losing some uber-low frequency and window-rattling abilities, well, everything's got a trade-off. I listen to everything from Amon Amarth to Dead Can Dance, and Agua de Annique to Arch Enemy.

I've been looking pretty hard at the PB1000 and the XZT 99.W12.16, as both get pretty good reviews when it comes to accuracy and music. The VTF2 MK4 is on the list too, but seems more biased towards HT duties.

Budget is about $650 or so - that's pretty much the maximum, since I'm spending a bit more than planned on the speakers and receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-30-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicLemming View Post

After spending a few years playing with car audio and headphone setups, I decided to spend a bit of time on something different and build a decent stereo/HT setup. I've already picked up the receiver and speakers - a Marantz 5006 and Arx A5s - but I haven't decided on a sub yet.

Couple caveats - I'm doing a 2.1 setup rather than a 5.1 due to room size; I'll primarily be using this for music rather than HT (I'd say about 70/30 split for music to HT);and I want as musical and accurate a sub as possible - if that means losing some uber-low frequency and window-rattling abilities, well, everything's got a trade-off. I listen to everything from Amon Amarth to Dead Can Dance, and Agua de Annique to Arch Enemy.

I've been looking pretty hard at the PB1000 and the XZT 99.W12.16, as both get pretty good reviews when it comes to accuracy and music. The VTF2 MK4 is on the list too, but seems more biased towards HT duties.

Budget is about $650 or so - that's pretty much the maximum, since I'm spending a bit more than planned on the speakers and receiver.

When you say for music I'd recommend the SVS SB12 or for $100 more maybe the PSA XS15.
But if you are looking into the VTF2 Mk4 you could also look at the SVS equivalent which I think had cleaner out put but not by much.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page