Cambridge Soundworks Newton P1000 Repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My CSW P1000 is like a member of the family, more valued than the pets and somewhere in the middle of the pack among the kids. So you can image how it pains me to see it sick with no avenues for medical attention. Can anyone suggest how I might diagnose, find parts and repair my dear sub?

Here's what I can tell you: For a couple years now, the sub would occationally seem to not receive the full signal and result in only marginal sound that would result in a 'popping' like sound. During these instances, I woudld unplug the power and let it sit for a few minutes, afterwich it would work with full brilliance. These occations have been getting more and more common and resetting it would take longer and longer. When it was more difficult to regain function, I sometimes found that unplugging both the signal cable and the power was most effective.

At first I though it was the crossover, but now I'm thinking the amp. Any thoughts on how I can save my baby??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
No way to know with out opening pup the amp board and checking. Might be something as simple as cleaning the volume and cross over pot with Some electronics cleaner.
I just did this on my Velodyne Sub.

If your in there look for any bulging capacitors.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
When the popping on an old subwoofer amp became increasingly frequent, I replaced the 9-year old amp with a Parts Express 500w BASH amp.

Repair shops can cost $200-300+ and return the amp with a 30-90 day warranty. Other parts on an older amp can fail after the initial repair.

Replacing a few capacitors (particularly if one or more is bulging) can be straightforward if you are handy with a soldering iron. Replacement capacitors can be obtained at Radio Shack or Parts Express. For a serious repair, you need the Service Manual that has the detailed circuit diagram.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Nash and Wink... I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Looks like I need to dive in. I hate to think it's the amp and will hope for a more simple solution like a cap...Cheers
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM

I have the same problem.
A lightning strike has rendered my P1000 quiet.
Not ENTIRELY quiet though.... I can here the low-level signal come through. As if line level is making it all the way to the speaker.
But when I turn up the volume control on the remote control box, a 60Hz hum noise gets louder, but not the bass.
When I turn up the receiver feeding the P1000, the bass gets louder.
But where it should be rattling windows, it's but a whisper.

I looked at the BASH amps, and apparently it's a BASH amp on the P1000, I'd actually have ZERO issue replacing the remote control panel/BASH amp two-piece system with a new amp that has the controls right on it.... EXCEPT the P1000 puts the amp on the bottom of the sub. Not the most ideal place for something that gets hot, and there is limited space/depth to mount the amp.

I think I could "potentially" turn the sub on its side, making the bottom face rearward, and then I'd have to fashion up a new enclosure for the BASH amp, and feed it in to the two speakers, but I'd have to see how CSW wired them up (series / parallel) and does anyone have info on the resistance of the speakers CSW used?

I'd appreciate some advice on this concept.

"Can you hear me now?"
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page