Subwoofer Help Please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the process of upgrading my home theater system...thanks to many of you... I've purchased a few new components based on your suggestions. So far no one has steered me wrong....I currently have a Polk PSW250 sub that came in a home theater package. I'd like to upgrade it...with a $300.00 or less budget. based on many reviews...I've narrowed it down to the Bic F-12 or Bic Pl-200. Would either of these two be a major upgrade to what I already have? or should I be patient and wait until I can invest more money in a sub that would be a bigger upgrade? I'm watching tv and movies in a 14 x 14 x 8 room. I don't need to knock the walls down with bass but I do want to get the best overall sound and experience from the movies. The sub I have is a 8 inch....should I be looking towards the 10 or 12 inch for my size room...Thank you!!!

PS...Not looking to make a lateral move.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The PL-200 is the highly recommended sub in the under $300 cost in this forum. Check the PL-200 thread comments for how to get the best price. The PL-200 will blow away your current subwoofer and should be adequate for your room size (provided it does not open to another area).
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
This one is $349, but sometimes gets priced at $299 shipped at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

I would recommend this one over the Bic subs.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsteeves View Post

I'm in the process of upgrading my home theater system...thanks to many of you... I've purchased a few new components based on your suggestions. So far no one has steered me wrong...

I've become a huge fanboy of encouraging folks to get and use a room analyzing program to get the best out of their existing subwoofer system, before upgrading to new subwoofers.

Poorly integrated subwoofers will diminish performance. And if one buys new subs, using old placement and settings, even if rerunning their AVR based auto EQ'g program, they'll still fail to get the best out of their subwoofer. So my suggestion, buy what seems to be an expensive room analyzing program like "OmniMic" (the easiest solution) or download a freeware copy of REW, buy some recording gear and actually see the acoustics of your room.

Once you've taught yourself to get the best out of your current subwoofer system, then upgrade your existing subwoofer system.

Just saying.

As to a subwoofer recommendation, either a "PAIR" of PL-200's or RW-12d's will do you well.

-
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I agree with BeeMan - I'm currently in the steepest part of the room analysis learning curve (REW) and it's kinda kickin' my a**...but I still think it's definitely the way to go if you want to get the most out of your equipment.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I'm currently in the steepest part of the room analysis learning curve (REW) and it's kinda kickin' my a**...

And when you land on the other side of the rainbow, everything goes Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. biggrin.gif

As encouragement, when you hit that sonic sweet spot, it's all about: "Now that's what I'm talking about.....yeah baby!"
post #7 of 7 Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my post.. you've been very helpful!!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page