Subwoofer Picking up Line Noise from Ethernet Powerline Adapter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I made a post about this about a month ago on the "media streaming" forum, but there seems to be fairly limited traffic on that one. I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide some better insight.

I have a DIY subwoofer, consisting of a BASH amplifier and Dayton HF 12 driver. A couple months ago I installed a powerline ethernet adapter to get a connection to my HT entertainment center. Running a dedicated ethernet line wasnt an option, as it is on a different floor from where my cable modem is located by my home computer (a desktop). Since the adapter is supposed to be plugged directly into a wall outlet, putting it right next to my entertainment center was not an option, as I have a surge protector coming out of it that all of my HT components are plugged into. The next closest outlet is on the side wall, where my subwoofer is located. However, after plugging it in there (in the 2nd outlet), I've noticed that when streaming data through it, it introduces a faint intermittent buzz/hum through the sub. It drove me crazy and I ended up just turning off the sub until I could move the adapater. I moved it to the next outlet down the wall, which helped, but I am still getting the buzz (its even more faint now, but I can still hear it).

Does anyone know if there is any way to filter this noise out? Is this some sort of EMI caused by the data traffic on the power line? I'm trying to get some input into solutions to resolve this without having to completely change my networking solution, if any exist. Wireless wasn't a strong enough signal to consistently stream HD media and game without the signal fluctuating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you can try ferrite rings on the power line to the woofer getting the right ones take some research because they work at different frequencies or you can get a power strip liberator and plug the PLA into the rear of the liberator
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page