Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Sell your Velodyne and get a Seaton Submersive, JTR Captivator, or one of the 18" Funk subs. Maybe dual Rythmik FV15HPs.
Archaea likes this.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Is size a restraint, or are you looking at output/$? If you are looking for smaller (comparatively) sealed units, and want duals for around $3k, the SB13-Ultras and the F15HP's from Rythmik are both pretty well reviewed, and would probably have more output than the Velo.

Duals offer several advantages over a single sub when it comes to smoothing frequency response, especially over multiple seats. That alone may be enough reason to sell the Velo, the added headroom would then just be an additional plus.

If size is not an issue, ported subs generally will give you more output/$ and several other options are available in the same price range (Dual SVS PB12+, dual Rythmik FV15(HP), dual HSU VTF-15, dual Power Sound Audio XV-30's etc).

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 869
From a DD 18 you'd be better off following shadyj's advice and stepping up to the top shelf subs IMO.

I've not looked up reviews to directly verify but I'd doubt a pair of sb 13 subs would even compare to a dd 18 on output. Generally two 15s is a closer approximation to one 18.

OP, are you wanting more output? Greater sound quality? Or what motivates the change.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had the DD18 for 8 years so I just have an upgrade bug. I was never really impressed with the output levels though, not for an 18" sub. The other thing I hate is how I can walk around the room and go from zero bass to too much bass. Would 2 subs help equalize it so it sounds the same no matter where I sit in the room? If I do 2 subs then they would need to be physically smaller than the DD18. I want more output but something that still maintains great sound quality for music.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 138
I don't remember the DD18 being an output monster. I can't get the AVtalk graphs to come up for some reason (maybe due to work computer), but I do recall several posts of people being underwhelmed with spl/$, while still finding it be be a very good sounding sub. Cone size is only one factor when calculating displacement, which can sometimes through off easy comparisons. The DD18 had that large 18" driver, but it still got schooled by several smaller cone sized subwoofer systems.

If you are looking for better bass response around a room, multiple subs properly placed will help that more than a single large, HO sub design.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think Dual Ultras would have way more output and smooth out room response.

Having said that have you tried your DD in different locations?

Some times moving the sub will make a huge difference.

Nashou