IB subwoofers - do it. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of buttoning up my detached man cave/home theater. I installed 2 15 inch Infinitie subwoofers powered by a bash 500 watt plate amplifier.
I mounted them into the wall and they vent into my garage.

very impressed with the difference they make. Demo with the volcano scene in 2012. Felt like I was there.

I highly encourage anyone to go the IB route when making their subwoofer decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I used to have a sub installed IB-style, venting into the trunk in my previous car, and it was some of the most musical and tight bass I've ever heard. When implemented and integrated properly into the overall system, IB (infinite baffle) could be a great option for DIY installations.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post

I used to have a sub installed IB-style, venting into the trunk in my previous car, and it was some of the most musical and tight bass I've ever heard. When implemented and integrated properly into the overall system, IB (infinite baffle) could be a great option for DIY installations.

In that application though your more so using your trunk as one big subwoofer box. Granted I doubt the trunk is sealed that well, so wouldn't act the same as a large sealed enclosure.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
They are awesome and probably the best, least expensive solution. I've done a couple over the years. I removed mine, only because the back wave would run through the whole house.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

They are awesome and probably the best, least expensive solution. I've done a couple over the years. I removed mine, only because the back wave would run through the whole house.

Yup. Only thing that kept me from going IB this last theater build was the sound leakage throughout the house. We spend so much money building a theater to keep the sound in, it's a shame to ruin it.

If I had an IB that could vent into the garage such as your setup, I would have been all over it. Just keep an eye on excursion as there is no air spring to protect the drivers from doing a little back plate dancing. smile.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #6 of 10 Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
here is a quick pic of it. I just watched I am Legend and the subs add so much to the movie. Even at low levels they add a great deal to the sound.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_peseWi0x-Xb2tMUnowM09Gb00/edit?usp=sharing
post #7 of 10 Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Yup. Only thing that kept me from going IB this last theater build was the sound leakage throughout the house. We spend so much money building a theater to keep the sound in, it's a shame to ruin it.

If I had an IB that could vent into the garage such as your setup, I would have been all over it. Just keep an eye on excursion as there is no air spring to protect the drivers from doing a little back plate dancing. smile.gif
Just seal off 2 rooms! wink.gif

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #8 of 10 Old 08-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

Just seal off 2 rooms! wink.gif

I thouht if you design the manifold so the drivers are facing each other, it cancels out much of the noise in the adjacent room, or maybe it just eliminates the vibration of the manifold? I am really considering the IB route and just started reading up on it yesterday.

Nice setup Michelevit!

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #9 of 10 Old 08-09-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Reversing every second driver in the manifold reduces vibration on the manifold and that being transmittend into the structure of the building, and reduces even harmonic distortion. It won't have any effect on sound transmitted to other parts of the structure as the SPL will be the same irrespective of the orientation of the drivers.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Reversing every second driver in the manifold reduces vibration on the manifold and that being transmittend into the structure of the building, and reduces even harmonic distortion. It won't have any effect on sound transmitted to other parts of the structure as the SPL will be the same irrespective of the orientation of the drivers.

Thanks for the info! that is a good piece of info to know.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page