Need help deciding on a sub to buy. I tried searching and reading different specs but it is all a foreign language to me. I will try to follow guide lines to posting for help. I have a few subs in mind and will list them further down. Not sure if it matters if I get a down or front fire sub, ported or sealed. (see room dimension below).1. Budget
- Up to $800 max. Prefer to keep it closer to $600 but I want a good sub but could possibly buy a second in a few months if that would be best. My job is seasonal, but no problems investing more in a couple months when more cash is coming in.2. Size requirements/limits
- If I go with just one sub I can go with just about any sub. If I go with two subs then size may factor cause I only have a few places I can set the sub unless it's possible to set one in the open area in a L shape room. Figure 12" would be best but I am not opposed to another size as long as it is in budget.3. Room dimensions
- Roughly 3,500 cubic ft. L shape room in 1/2 basement with concrete floor with thin indoor/outdoor carpet clued to floor. Walls are concrete all the way around (basement underground). The main area doubles as my bedroom and Media room (I guess I can call it that). The main area is roughly 20'5" (L) x 13'5" (W) x 7'3" (H). The front wall is restricted by bathroom door on left and stairs on right. My desk and tower computer take up the center. 42" TV sits on desk shared with FR & FL speakers. Center speaker is under desk along with AVR. Love seat sits on short wall (L side) wall is shared with a door to the left of bathroom that enters into laundry room. On the right wall (first half of room) I have end table and recliner. The recliner I move to center when watching a movie. Behind this area is the bedroom half of room. The BR & BL speakers are toward back wall with bed in the middle. Chest along right side of wall. I sometimes Watch movies in bed too. So I basically try to set speakers up for middle of the room as viewing. This way I can lay at end of bed or have recliner in front of bed. OK, now the open area to the left (L shape room) is roughly 20' x 10' except for the the far right wall extends into the laundry room a couple feet on about 1/3 of the wall for the L shape bar. This area doesn't get used much except for some work out equipment and L shape bar along far back wall (never use bar anymore since I moved my room downstairs). I can put a sub in this area if it will help or even work. Current sub is located next to love seat right were the room opens up. Basically sits on the corner of that L shape wall and faces into middle of main room (were the recliner sits when I watch movies).4. Primary uses
- 95% Movies/TV with a little music once in a while if i'm in the mood while on the computer. By the way the 99% of all viewing content is displayed from computer. Computer has a dual TV tuner for recording TV. Movies/shows are stored on about 11 TB of space (need to add more soon). This way I only hook up blue ray when needed since space is restricted in that area.5. Listening habits
- Varies depending on what I watch and my mood. Meaning I would like the sub to be able to handle all types of movie listening habits (if that is even possible). I like in your chest base but can't always crank the system. Have Family members is other part of house too. Actually I just got this surround system so I am in the early stages of the surround/base buzz. My brother loaned me his old Klipsh RW10BK sub which has given me the bug to upgrade now rather then wait until he wants this sub back. More on that down below. From what little I have been able to gather from searching I want a sub that can do the lower Frequencies. Well I guess this would fall into I want the best sub I can get within budget question (Which we all want).6. Appearance requirements
- Just the basic black sub will be fine. As long as it isn't ugly as hell I'm good with it. This is a pretty private area of my house and only family members use it.7. Timeframe
- Delivered by end of the month.Subs I been considering so far:
Let me know if I over looked a sub that fits my budget.
(no particular order)
1. HSU VTF-2 MK4 ($596) http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html
2. HSU VTF-3 MK4 ($798) http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html
3.Outlaw LFM-1 PLUS ($620.39) http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html
4. Outlaw LFM-1 EX ($738.85) http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html
5. SVS SB12-NSD ($649.00) http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd#.URFdHqXC0VE
6. SVS PB12-NSD ($769.00) http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb12-nsd#.URFdPaXC0VE
Prices are delivered as far as I know. This is were I am at a stand still. Just not sure how to choose between these? At one time I was leaning toward and ready to buy the VTF-3 MK4 but then I started thinking about the price (I have other components to buy too) and that maybe a smaller cheaper sub would be just as good and I could always get two if that would give me better sound also. What do you think? If it were you (with my limited budget and room dimensions) which sub would you buy?
My current setup which is all on loan from my brother cause he doesn't use it but I plan on buying all new components very soon.
Yamaha RXV557 (upgrading to Dennon 2113CI after all speakers are replaced, may wait till new models come out and catch it on clearance)
Klipsch RW10BK sub. This does a decent job and has given me the base bug. I know I am missing lower base and the port noise is a bit much at times. I would like smoother in your chest base that doesn't rattle the bar glasses to much.
Klipsch RB-61II fronts. (actually plan on ordering these today and all other speakers will be added soon to match)
Klipsch RC-25 center. (this will next item to replace after I get the new fronts & sub)
Klipsch RF-15 backs. (these were my brothers fronts but I can not use anything but bookshelf speakers as fronts so I put them as rear for now)
If any of that matters. Plan on the sub to be used with the Denon 2113ci and Klipsch RB-61II 5.0 or possibly 7.0 with the RS-42 as surrounds. If any of this matter, just trying to be thorough.
Thanks a bunch in advance. I really am confused and want to order sub soon.